It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advanced Gaming and World War Three?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Hi again guys

Please don't think of this as a prediction, more as a 'what if?'. Anyway, here goes....

We all know how attack drones are piloted by guys with X-box controllers. I'm just gonna take this a step further.

What if gaming advances in conjunction with 3D technology so we can actually become immersed in the experience?
Combine this with realtime mass-gaming (we've all heard of World of Warcraft), and full-earth satellite coverage (Iridium). Add some hologram technology.
Combine this with the way TPTB behave and like to wield power.

What if we create a technological utopia (think Assassins Creed) where all there is to do is play virtual reality games all day long.....but we don't actually know how real the game is. Our virtual reality soldiers actually existing in another location....shells waiting to be filled.

Wouldn't it be a shame if we were led to kill our brothers through ignorance, enjoying every minute, thinking it is just a game.

Just a thought.

Peace

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by iamahumandoing

Yeah but all it would take is one piss-poor OCD gamer to use up all of the shells in a single sitting.
I get what you mean, though. Sounds like a cool sci-fi premise.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

There is a movie where this is bin done.
I dont know the name yet, I am thinking.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Well that is a bit weird...
If someone were to trawl my posts (it'd take a while I know) they might see how I have got the idea for this thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I think you're thinking of eXistenZ.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

GAMER
www.imdb.com...

Set in a future-world where humans can control other humans in mass-scale, multi-player online gaming environments, a star player from a game called "Slayers" looks to regain his independence while taking down the game's mastermind.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

No not that movie.

The movie what I mean had a scene, where you saw a futuristic military room filled with advanced computer chairs.
In those chairs, soldiers sat and they logged in to their bionic warfare suits, on the battle field

thnx for the effort

edit on 18-1-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
There was also a bruce willis movie with a premise something like this, but sorta different. The person laid in a virtual reality coffin(sic) and controlled a robot in the actual world, but there were also people that were paid to be controlled for gaming purposes and whatnot. It was a pretty interesting movie and something I could imagine in the not so distant future. Can't remember the name though.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It was actually a stargate episode if memory serves me right.
Everyone was basically just in a VR bubble and the wargames were actually real.
Most everyone was dead due to endless warfare without surrender (why surrender in a game...just respawn after a suicide run).

Eventually they found the few kids left playing the game.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by UniToxic

No also not gamer, I think it was an older one.

thnx for the effort

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I believe you are right, there was same quick respawing going on.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CaPpedDoG

Checked it out it was written and directed by David Cronenberg

[Personal Quote:
To me, the life that we live is heaven. My idea of paradise is life on Earth. But we often don't know it, and can't see it that way, until, I'm sure, we start to leave it. I guess that's the way I feel about film.
Trivia:
Is of German / Dutch descent
Trademark:
Films often include explicit carnage.]

Not seen the film though I'll have to check it out

Found this also:
[In a Rolling Stone interview, when asked if his art (film) had any moral or social responsibility, he replied:
“No. No. Still doesn't after all these years...But as an artist, that's where the paradox is, your responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you talk about...responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got.”]

www.goodfight.org...
edit on 18-1-2011 by iamahumandoing because: more info

Oh, and this:

[What are his truths? They rally around an occultist named William Burroughs, who, through demonic possession expresses his magic through his writings. William Burroughs was an occult author whose books conveyed, as one secular magazine describes them, “phantasmagorias of buggered boys, bloody syringes, talking [expletives], and vaginal teeth.” His ideas are so twistedly morbid, that there are occultists today who would have even preferred to meet him than the chief Satanist of the twentieth century, Aleister Crowley]
edit on 18-1-2011 by iamahumandoing because: more info

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
IMO games like call of duty etc can train a person to be able to shoot....hold on now....many soldiers, when confronted with their first battle, often don't fire a single shot, as they are too "scared" (there is a name to this "syndrome", but i can't remember)

I think that war games can help one overcome these fears, and be more apt to fire at will, as it were.

just a thought

be good

(great games BTW)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
technoccult.net...
Notice the use of the word 'illuminating' in the article...

Jimmy Page lives in Aleister Crowley's old house in Scotland....
technoccult.net...

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page after reading the article at the link below,

technoccult.net...

[rick says:
jimmy page lost tapes does anyone know anything about them??it seem like material for new zep album.look here.
it.youtube.com... ]

Wonder if they'll ever get back together? And what could their music represent?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
IMO games like call of duty etc can train a person to be able to shoot....hold on now....many soldiers, when confronted with their first battle, often don't fire a single shot, as they are too "scared" (there is a name to this "syndrome", but i can't remember)

I think that war games can help one overcome these fears, and be more apt to fire at will, as it were.

just a thought

be good

(great games BTW)

Excellent observation

I think it was T.D Lingo who asked the question: 'Why must I kill my brother' after WWII, 4 Universities later and none-the-wiser he set up his own research facility: The Dormant Brain Research Lab.

What a guy.
He can teach us a lot...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

I'd also like to quickly add that it is very reminescent of "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. I remember children with high IQ's being taken from parents to join a military school in space. They were trained by playing games similar to laser tag in zero gravity, and "real-time-strategy" type virtual reality simulators for dogfights in space. Everyone played for high score and bragging rights, unbeknownst that none of it was a simulation at all and a war was being fought and won through gaming.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

Could you be thinking of Toys? It stars Robin Williams.

When a military general inherits a toy making company and begins making war toys, his employees band together to stop him before he ruins the name of Zevo Toys forever.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Well...neat idea OP and I have often thought that as well. I always said war in the future will involve you popping a CD in your Xbox or PS3 and "going to war."

Now, as a fan of the COD series (I play Black Ops all the time) and an Iraqi war Veteran, I can tell you there is a huge difference in real war vs virtual war. You cannot apply real world training to a game like COD. I find myself frustrated all the time with children and their "spray and pray" mentality. You simply do not have all your senses to rely on in a virtual setting (at least in a game like COD)

I would have to disagree with anyone that says that a video game desensitizes you to war. There is no similarity. There are no respawns in real life. I will admit and say that the first time I got shot at I was scared poopless, but that is where training kicks in. Muscle memory.

There is NO WAY that some kid who has played a game like COD or some other game of the same genre will make a good Marine, Soldier, Sailor or Airmen.

Sorry if my thoughts seem a little jumbled. In the middle of a snow/ice storm here in the north east and I have been responding to EMS and fire calls for the last 36 hours and have not been able to sleep more then an hour.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Acid_Burn2009

You should see my new threads....

top topics

join