It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hell Freezes Over, CNN's Defense for Freedom of Speech.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well it sure looks like a cold day in hell that's for sure.

CNN Posted a article by none other than Jeffrey Miron, a staunch Libertarian writer.
This guy is no joke though, he seems to be quite the defender of our Rights.

Jeffrey Miron is senior lecturer and director of undergraduate studies in the economics department at Harvard University and senior fellow at the Cato Institute. Miron blogs at jeffreymiron.com... and is the author of "Libertarianism, from A to Z."

Now, his CNN article that caught my eye and blew me away due to it's 'truthiness'.

"Limiting Free Speech Isn't the Answer"

Are restrictions on inflammatory speech or government decrees that broadcasters be fair and balanced appropriate responses to the horrific acts committed in Tucson? Not in the least.

Jeffrey always seems to write very well thought out arguments and I cannot help but agree with this man on every point. Please read this entire treatise on Defending Free Speech in the wake of the Tuscon tragedy.

The argument for free speech, however, does not assume free speech has no negatives, much less that free speech is always "civil." The argument for free speech holds simply that the harms from government restrictions on speech are worse than the harms from free speech itself. If government can determine what constitutes acceptable speech, it will use that power to restrict speech in inappropriate ways.

So TRUE and FACTUAL Jeff. How did you get on CNN?
CNN hates freedom don't they? They have been posting attacks against freedom day in and day out for years.... What the hecks going on here?

Did one of our own sneak into the midsts of CNN's bs machine? How is this possible? What kind of trickery is this?

Obviously someone turned off the thermostat in hades, and the den of the devil is on ice.

Someone called me Capt. Obvious the other day.
There you go. Hell freezes over.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Too bad you're twisting his civil argument to promote uncivil polarization.

...Weak analysis and commentary. But great article.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The man has many valid points. Your OP, however, is nothing but a sad attempt to take a valid topic and make it about CNN, instead of the actual topic at hand.

Borderline trolling.
edit on 16-1-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What?

No the news is that CNN isn't twisting things like they always do.

This guy Jeff has been posting good articles forever, that's not news.

But it's kind of a big deal that a establishment mouthpiece that has been caught lying for the restrictions of rights (aiding in the takeover of the patriot act and promoting the false reasoning for going into the iraq war for example).

CNN's entire existence is trolling against the truth. JUST like FOX NEWS. 100% the same! They were both Pro-Iraq.
They even passed on the gem that Al Qaeda was in Iraq.

SO you are going to act like CNN has always been a bastion of free speech and the defense of rights??

Wow hell did freeze over.

Because CNN is truth and you are all saying they have always been truth?

I am amazed no one understands basic sarcasm anymore....

They have that guy on from the Southern Poverty Law Center all the time, and he hates on rights and rarely has any opponents that give him any real debate, his view gets loudspeaker all the time....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

No one is saying cnn is the truth. If that is truly the topic of this thread, then you ought to add this to one of the hundreds of threads about the MSM, as the topic has been covered ad nauseum.

I guess I just thought maybe this thread would be something new....but it's not.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
The man has many valid points. Your OP, however, is nothing but a sad attempt to take a valid topic and make it about CNN, instead of the actual topic at hand.

Borderline trolling.

SO you can come and change the topic of my thread?

Wow, well I guess that makes you the OP now.

Actually the topic here is how CNN always lies but finally told the truth today , but you are trying to turn it into just focusing on the article and not it's propaganda machine source.

And the bizarre nature of it appearing on such a website where such talk is actually TABOO.

If you wanna post a thread just about his article, and link straight from his blog rather than CNN go ahead fine do that. But this thread is about CNN's act of posting a link TO HIS blog.

That's why I said hell froze over. Although CNN has indeed linked to this man's publications in the past, this is not the first time.

It was just the combination of the Tuscon tragedy outcry against freedom all over the media, that made it so odd and bizarre to find a piece that was 100% against that irrational vitriol. This man is extremely well respected and has credentials up the wazoo. AND he is on our side. It's a big deal for CNN (part of the problem) to be posting truth from a libertarian (part of the solution).

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

No one is saying cnn is the truth. If that is truly the topic of this thread, then you ought to add this to one of the hundreds of threads about the MSM, as the topic has been covered ad nauseum.

I guess I just thought maybe this thread would be something new....but it's not.

The MSM and Politics jump back and forth.

This is inherently a political issue, as it deals with Freedom of Speech.
However, propaganda machines are well known for their distortions and attacks of this very freedom.

But actually seeing this point of view blasted on the speaker is a sign of good things indeed. It shows we have a chance still. Hell froze over. The Armageddon Clock needs to be moved back a minute, seriously.

And it is New as in the last 10 years of straight attack after attack on our rights.
edit on 16-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Borderline trolling.

SO you can come and change the topic of my thread?

Wow, well I guess that makes you the OP now.

Actually the topic here is how CNN always lies but finally told the truth today , but you are trying to turn it into just focusing on the article and not it's propaganda machine source.

And the bizarre nature of it appearing on such a website where such talk is actually TABOO.

If you wanna post a thread just about his article, and link straight from his blog rather than CNN go ahead fine do that. But this thread is about CNN's act of posting a link TO HIS blog.

That's why I said hell froze over. Although CNN has indeed linked to this man's publications in the past, this is not the first time.

It was just the combination of the Tuscon tragedy outcry against freedom all over the media, that made it so odd and bizarre to find a piece that was 100% against that irrational vitriol. This man is extremely well respected and has credentials up the wazoo. AND he is on our side. It's a big deal for CNN (part of the problem) to be posting truth from a libertarian (part of the solution).

Not changing your op. Pointing out that it been done before. Pull your panties out.

Again, the topic of the lying msm has been covered to death. Sorry if you dont like it, but its true. If this thread is about the article, its a new one. If its about cnn, its been done plenty of times before.

Thing is, every news outlet covers these types of topics. They are not banned from the air. CNN has had many libertarians on.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Nice attempt to destroy a good find.

This is a new example of the changing of the times.

It's an example of how today Freedom and Truth got out even in the midsts of the biggest liars on earth the MSM.

It's new. Totally new story. It's about a combination of both a new article, and a new event of CNN posting a honest and good opinion from a good person with great understanding of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

This is a worthy thread in it's entirety. I don't see the problem, the net databases have untold gigs of hard drive space and this thread only takes up a tiny few hundred kbs.

Maybe you are upset that Freedom's Bells are Ringing, and even the "all powerful" propaganda machine that is the Mainstream Media cannot do any thing to stop it. Maybe you don't feel that way maybe I misunderstand your rational behind attempting to put a halt to my ramblings.

Maybe you don't want people to see me bash CNN because you like them. Well, it's the main MSM source I go to and have for years, although I am not "liberal". CNN has a huge international following and seeing what types of propaganda they put up gives us a great insight into what TPTB are planning for us. Because we all know they own and control these organizations and their advertiser funding corporations are also owned by the same folks.

But you kept posting to debate it with me, so even if no one else reads this you did give the entire issue more light at least between you and me personally.

So please explain why you do not like the fact that this is extremely out of the ordinary? Or go do research and debunk my premise and show they post pro-freedom articles at least once a week 50 or so times a year for the last 10 years. That would be a extremely compelling argument and I would fold and admit defeat to you in a heartbeat with that kinda research. But 5 articles over 10 years won't cut it. You need like 500 to show a pattern that won't get buried under the 100+ articles a day that get posted all full of anti-freedom opinions and viewpoints with no one ever calling them out on it.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I don't believe anything that comes out of Harvard.

The guy probably has some agenda.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Nice attempt to destroy a good find.

This is a new example of the changing of the times.

It's an example of how today Freedom and Truth got out even in the midsts of the biggest liars on earth the MSM.

It's new. Totally new story. It's about a combination of both a new article, and a new event of CNN posting a honest and good opinion from a good person with great understanding of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

This is a worthy thread in it's entirety. I don't see the problem, the net databases have untold gigs of hard drive space and this thread only takes up a tiny few hundred kbs.

Maybe you are upset that Freedom's Bells are Ringing, and even the "all powerful" propaganda machine that is the Mainstream Media cannot do any thing to stop it. Maybe you don't feel that way maybe I misunderstand your rational behind attempting to put a halt to my ramblings.

Maybe you don't want people to see me bash CNN because you like them. Well, it's the main MSM source I go to and have for years, although I am not "liberal". CNN has a huge international following and seeing what types of propaganda they put up gives us a great insight into what TPTB are planning for us. Because we all know they own and control these organizations and their advertiser funding corporations are also owned by the same folks.

But you kept posting to debate it with me, so even if no one else reads this you did give the entire issue more light at least between you and me personally.

So please explain why you do not like the fact that this is extremely out of the ordinary? Or go do research and debunk my premise and show they post pro-freedom articles at least once a week 50 or so times a year for the last 10 years. That would be a extremely compelling argument and I would fold and admit defeat to you in a heartbeat with that kinda research. But 5 articles over 10 years won't cut it. You need like 500 to show a pattern that won't get buried under the 100+ articles a day that get posted all full of anti-freedom opinions and viewpoints with no one ever calling them out on it.

If you read back, I complimented your find. Quit projecting.

My point is that this is not new. The MSM puts these stories out periodically, to divert from the idea that they are against these kinds of things. I typed 'cnn free speech' into google and got dozens of articles that are pro-free speech.

The accusations-"maybe you dont like freedom"-are noting but drivel, and I will not justify them with a response.

No i dont like cnn.

At least once a week, or at least 50 times a year for 10 years? Come on now, so if I cant meet the numbers y ou pulled out of thin air you mean that it doesnt happen?
Like I said, a quick google search proves your premise very wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

I don't believe anything that comes out of Harvard.

The guy probably has some agenda.

I know its so BIZARRE huh??

What could it mean?

Ohhh the humanity!!

new topics

top topics

join