It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do members not give their location?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Oh shut up.. youre not allowed to speak to others about anything other than revisionist history. Get with the new program! There was no nation of Texas..

Oh shut up huh....?!

I will let you slide, since by your typing you're drunk and young and can't remember US history. Or it was never taught to you in the 1st place (most likely along with drunk or worse...)

The new program, let's see how that works out for you and your ilk...

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: being too nice to inflamer

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
reply to post by crazydaisy

People who can't even post their nation, are lame. Mine is TEXAS.

IMO They want to attack without saying where they're from.
edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: grammar & spelling please

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

So true...

Also Texas rocks.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

It makes it harder for the black helicopters to triangulate positions.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

edit on 16-1-2011 by LadySkadi because:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

My first few months here I only admitted to living
in the U.S.
Later, I finally broke down and let it be known that
I live in ohio.
I figure if someone really wants to find me they will.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think everyone here should have to provide valid forms of identification, and only upon verification can they participate here, and all profiles must contain a photo ID, including SSN, home addresses, phone numbers and all possible relevant financial info.

Actually, no I don't ... But if the feds have their way, one day soon they will be able to view this information and identification on any material posted on the internet by any individual.

Sign up voluntarily for your internet ID today, avoid the hassle of interrupted service in the future.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Please, I'm as paranoid as the next spooky person.

But are you all serious that you don't know about IP tracking???

Even one with no law enforcement resources can track you down to your state and town, and ISP. Public Info.....called WHOIS search....

With a NSL (National Security Letter), you can be tracked down by feds to your exact address by your ISP, with no warrant required. You may or may not ever know that the NSL was issued to check you out, and most likely will never know why it was issued.

They require no probable cause or judicial oversight. They also contain a gag order, preventing the recipient of the letter from disclosing that the letter was ever issued. The gag order was ruled unconstitutional as an infringement of free speech, in the Doe v. Ashcroft case.[1] From 2003 to 2006 the bureau issued 192,499 national security letter requests.[2]
Since no warrant is required, you may as well forget about anonymous free spech on the internets.

So you're worried about putting down what state (or NATION) you're from. LOL LOL LOL......what is that a ROFLcopter???

Oh, and IP spoofing and proxies can be overcome as well, if you are really into that level of secrecy, If you are, then you're probably needing to be checked out any way.
edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: mare clarification

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Sometimes because they just haven't bothered to fill in the location field.
Sometimes because of paranoia
and sometimes because they want to be able to make up stuff about themselves without any chance of being called out on it.
"I work in a secret base in Arizona"
"But your location says you're in Germany?"
"Aghhhhh foiled again!!!"

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

To me, it's neither about the government nor people who are computer literate enough to track people based upon IPs, but about random strangers knowing information about me and the amount of information i am willing to share. There are a LOT of people on ATS, and i do not know anything about any of them. Not to say they couldn't eventually figure out my location, but still...It's being prudent.

Once you have been stalked online by creepy-crazies, you tend to be a bit more careful.

link   

Oh shut up.. youre not allowed to speak to others about anything other than revisionist history. Get with the new program! There was no nation of Texas..

Oh shut up huh....?!

I will let you slide, since by your typing you're drunk and young and can't remember US history. Or it was never taught to you in the 1st place (most likely along with drunk or worse...)

The new program, let's see how that works out for you and your ilk...

edit on 16-1-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: being too nice to inflamer

Not young, dont drink, and now realize that Texans have little sense of when someone is being sarcastic.

Read the post slowly with a Texas drawl... as if someone was joking with you and being sarcastic. You take all the fun out of making a joke.

Okay Texan.. in crayon: Of course anyone that didnt live and breathe public school education knows the incredible history of Texas and why we in every state should have been learning from it. Its a dangerous history for those who wish to keep everyone in the dark about what can be accomplished if there is the will. However, we are not allowed to speak of things like this.. we can only speak of revisionist history that is taught in school. We are taught only the surface truths of Texas and what it accomplished. The Alamo is about as gritty as the public school curriculum wants to get. We also are taught that the constitution is outdated and not applicable to modern society. Hence Texas being ridiculed for asserting its constitutional rights and speaking of secession even recently. This is why its disregarded by our president and politicians and they get away with it. You may not question and must drink the kool aid.... youre seen as a nut or seditious if you speak of anything other than what is popularly accepted.. regardless of the truth. We are not allowed or supported in speaking about the truth of it all. THATS why you get a funny post when you say the nation of Texas. Its not meant by others out of contempt.. just a true ignorance that I believe is done purposefully by public education preaching revisionist history.

Sarcasm: A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning.

I have to stop being sarcastic on here or make any jokes.. I swear..

link   
Stockbridge, Georgia, USA here.

And the fun part? Come to Stockbridge, start asking around for Heff and odds are it would not take long to find someone who'd be happy to call me for you, or even drive you to my door.

Avoiding being anonymous is my personal choice and it's not for everyone. Over roughly a 20 year period of being online I have had a handful of idiots track down my phone number, begin prank calling or making death threats. Obviously I am not dead, so they were empty threats. But I have had to pay to change my phone number a few times to stop the stupidity.

So, while I choose not to hide behind the anon label, I do understand and respect why others would choose to be very secretive with their information.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

OK genuine sarcasm is well accepted, I just couldn't see it at the time.

Peace and good luck being from the north
...!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Stockbridge, Georgia, USA here.

And the fun part? Come to Stockbridge, start asking around for Heff and odds are it would not take long to find someone who'd be happy to call me for you, or even drive you to my door.

~Heff

HAHAHAH!

In my case.. Yeah, come on by and ask for Advantage.. considering we had just got a new puppy, had a case of fleas, spent a bazillion $ on flea cures and one of them was named "Advantage". I looked up, saw the word on the overpriced bottle of powder.. and used it as a screen name. I figure folks will call the cops on you for looking for flea powder in an obsessive way before you ever get to my door.

Ive had weirdos make threats over the yrs.. Ive been online since the olden days of dial up BBS... but Im still here. And I still say what I please. Whats really fun is not advertising you're female and not using a cutsie or sexy avatar or name. hehe.. Its fun to wear a man's shoes sometimes.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
CrazyDaisey

First there was a thread asking me about my age ??

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and now you ask ' where do I come from / live ?'

What is this, a survey ?? You will be after my inside leg measurement and mothers maiden name soon...

I am from the UK and if you read my threads you'll know more...

My suggestion is ask people who post to include their point of origin for better clarity on subjects..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

OK I understand, but unless you're from The Principality of Sealand, you can probably at least feel safe telling people what country you're from.

Unless you're a really sought after international spy or crime figure (which maybe some here are!?)

But I doubt it; many may just not be proud of where they're from. Shame.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

OK genuine sarcasm is well accepted, I just couldn't see it at the time.

Peace and good luck being from the north
...!!!

Bah! Born and raised in New Orleans La... Im not happy being in Illinois. I can make lists of craziness of the North. These people pay premium prices at restaurants for what I used as bait when younger!
In reality my people come from Montana originally. My dad got off the rez and found his fortune in New Orleans. Im kinda a mixed up Southerner.

Later in life we lived for 4 years in San Antonio.. now thats a place I could thrive! Loved it.. from the climate to the people. Ive been all over the states and the world.. now in my time of life when Im snowballing down the other side of middle age we get transfered to Illinois.
Ugh!

Sorry Illinois folks here on ATS.. no real personal offense but your state sucks.... including our new 66% tax increase we got day before yesterday.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Because Margaritaville is more a State of mind.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Irving, Texas.
Near the corner of 635 and MacArthur.

There, it's official.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I don't put my location in my avi because people make assumptions based on location.

I am in Plymouth, Devon, England....no i am not a Pirate or a Puritan Pilgrim..see what i mean!

I could add that i am 44, male, Precision Engineer, but that will only lead to more assumptions.

The only thing that is relevant in my opinion is what people have to say in their posts.

It is perfectly possible for a person with no direct experience of a place or circumstance to have a great insight and therefore make a great and pertinent comment.

Cosmic...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Ah

So your in the Navy, or work on ships.
Like the smell of sea air and throw chips at seagulls.
Your favourite films are Pirates of the Caribean with Johhny D
You like cider (near enough) and take your scones with clotted cream...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join