It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama calls "America" an "Experiment"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'd like to refer to the first episode of America: The story of US.
This History Channel blockbuster documentary series opens with a short speech by President Obama.

As an outsider I was immediately struck by some terms long associated with Masonic double-speak.
Things like "sacred honor" or "moral compass".
Is this just coincidence?
Then one hears of "America" (the US?) as an "experiment".
Who ran this experiment?
Is the speech deliberately meant to invoke conspiracies?
The commentators on the show were also rather strange: they include Donald Trump, Michael Douglas and Rudy Guiliani.
Is this just flowery language, or a deliberate conspiracy?
The Statue of Liberty is certainly shown with the distinctive seven-rayed head of the sun-deity Mithras. (In computer-generated close-ups throughout the series)
Personally, I'm certainly more convinced that America was indeed an occult/Masonic project after viewing some of this.
(PS. My attention was drawn to the series from a previous thread, which noted that virtually the entire series was shot in South Africa. www.abovetopsecret.com...)
edit on 16-1-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I am not sure where "outside" you are looking in from but referring to America as an experiment is actually a pretty old turn of phrase that has been around since long before Obama.
The American Experiment

No conspiracy. No revelation. Just using an old term.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
“The American experiment is the most tremendous and far reaching engine of social change which has ever either blessed or cursed mankind.” -Charles Francis Adams. (son of John Quincy Adams)

Alexis de Tocqueville amongst many used the phrase too. It's not meant to be insulting or anything.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Thanks for that.
It does seem confusing, it's phraseology that doesn't sway from conspiracy, but doesn't admit it either.
I'm not sure that recognizing it as "old" necessarily helps either way.
Since "experiments" nowadays invoke images of labs, white coats and poor little mice, perhaps one would have thought of a better terminology?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Perhaps somebody could also help me with: How did the name "America" come to refer to the USA only?
Isn't "America" two continents with many countries?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
"We are going fairly through the experiment whether freedom of discussion, unaided by coercion, is not sufficient for the propagation and protection of truth,…No one ought to feel, under this experiment, more than myself.…I shall…go on…proving that a people, easy in their circumstances as ours, are capable of conducting themselves under a government founded not in the fears and follies of man, but on his reason,…" 1802 Jefferson (1743-1826) [B24 p95]

Your president is not wrong in calling it an experiment. The real and far more relevant concern is is the experiment failing?

edit on 1/16/2011 by ~Lucidity because: added video.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I think that is just a symptom of the great "American" ego. When you cross the border into Canada and they ask what country you come from, they do not really like to hear "America." I wish I had been keeping track because I could publish a book with all the wonderful responses to that I have heard at the border. Apparently some Canadians at least wonder the same thing you do. I can only say it is because we believe we are the center of the world.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I think william cooper answers your question in cnn interview on youtube.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Your president is not wrong in calling it an experiment. The real and far more relevant concern is is the experiment failing?

edit on 1/16/2011 by ~Lucidity because: added video.

I agree. It might be a bit silly to refer to America as an experiment at this point, considering how far we've moved away from the original ideals our country was founded on.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
"I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master."

--Thomas Jefferson

Yes very old. Veritably from the inception of government in the United States.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Boreas

Would you rather think that the "Experiment" that is America is done with then?
I am not sure that makes me feel better.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Oh but you are the center of the world.
That's why we can always blame you when things go pear-shaped.

Otherwise some quotes are valuable history, but they deepen the theories.
How many of these early revolutionaries who drafted these speeches were in secret Masonic organizations?
They say that even the Boston Tea Party was organized from a Lodge:
www.boston-tea-party.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Perhaps somebody could also help me with: How did the name "America" come to refer to the USA only?
Isn't "America" two continents with many countries?

America is part of the name of two continents (North America and South America) and a country. Referring to the country the United States of America using the shorter version America is fairly common.

edit on 1/16/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia
reply to post by Boreas

Would you rather think that the "Experiment" that is America is done with then?
I am not sure that makes me feel better.

From my perspective, what America -was- changed significantly after WWII. Much like how Rome changed from what it was following the fall of Carthage. I don't think our original founders ever dreamed of the U.S. becoming a world hegemony, but then again, the world was much different then. Whether the experiment has failed or has just gotten more complicated with the addition of unforeseen variables is an interesting question, though.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Interestingly, from our perspective "America" was common as a generic term for the US in my youth (the 1980s).
However, nowadays it is less acceptable.
In politically correct writing it can get pretty confusing.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Im happy to see others finding this information. I haev been researching what i had always called One World Ordekr is actually being called New WOrld Order. Yes this american project is real. Back when the eruoepans started invading america, the secret reasons were, to get commoners to think we are free, but in truth we are or were meant to grow america to form a NWO. we americans are a project yes we are do not doubt this. As for in todays knowledge, I do not know if we are a alien intended project, or a project to totally control us, if it is infact NWO intended, we haev over populated, this initself is not a good feeling. we know the governments are worried about the world overpopulation. SO i am not sure where this american project truely is going...But I believe and know it is a reality...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Interestingly, from our perspective "America" was common as a generic term for the US in my youth (the 1980s).
However, nowadays it is less acceptable.
In politically correct writing it can get pretty confusing.

If writing is so sloppy that the reader cannot tell whether the writer is referring to a country rather than a continent, then yes, I'd agree there would be a problem there.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Oh, you mean "sloppy" as in the documentary title and Obama's speech?
From current use I expected it to begin with Native Americans and Columbus.
(It does however have the hint, with a grammatical lack of an article: the story of "US".)
Actually it's mostly writing from the past, or writing from the USA (or people who really want to suck-up to "America").
At least that is the common interpretation
Nowadays it can even be used ironically.
See for example Rammstein's song "Amerika".

However, such "ironies" have a bitterness about them in my opinion.
I don't think other countries are any more "free" or less experimental.
I suppose a lot of them can't even question.

They've had conspiracy material on the History Channel before.
This has included material on the Freemasons and the US, and everything from their Dollar to the architecture being based on occult symbolism.
However, such theories are often undermined by people saying: "Oh it's all just heraldry and tradition".
Yet, one never walks away with a straight answer.
So this is the context for me.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas
From my perspective, what America -was- changed significantly after WWII. Much like how Rome changed from what it was following the fall of Carthage. I don't think our original founders ever dreamed of the U.S. becoming a world hegemony, but then again, the world was much different then. Whether the experiment has failed or has just gotten more complicated with the addition of unforeseen variables is an interesting question, though.

I agree that the US has changed a great deal since inception. I believe it is constantly changing. That is why it is an experiment. When things stop changing, your experiment is over. I find it hard to declare this experiment over with until we get it right. Apparently that is what all societies strive for in one form or another, isn't it?

edit on 16-1-2011 by Sinnthia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

True, fair enough.
However, I wonder how religious people would feel if humanity was called "God's experiment".
As for the US, yes it is double-speak, one can take it in two ways.
The face-value is very nice.
The implied conspiracy brings up images of people pre-planning things in secret chambers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join