It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act

www.rawstory.com

Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) has introduced a little-noticed bill that intends to once again renew controversial provisions of the Bush administration's USA Patriot Act that are due to expire this year.

As senator, Obama promised to support reforming the Patriot Act, but voted in favor of extending it in 2005 and 2008. Similarly, he signed last year's extension into law with little fanfare. FBI and Department of Justice officials had consistently argued that restricting their blanket authority.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Wait a minute, hummm, yes....

Freedom's Gone, again, and again........

What's gonna be this time?

Note that they're doing this secretly. They know it defies the US Constitution, and Obamba is going to sign off on it, as will the Senate Dems. Anyone care to guess how many of them in the Senate will stand up against it? I predict 1. Or maybe zero, since Feingold is now gone.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

What was that campaign line again?

Ahh yes.. "Change you can believe in"

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
It's time to rise up and let your 'Representatives' know NOT to renew this NAZI police state legislation. Do not let this recent tragedy be taken advantage of in this way. Stop it NOW!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
see, and they wanna ban ATS..wede never be crtically informed of whats really going on..thats what our governemnt wants..that were kept stupid unsociallized and uncritically aware of whats going on behind us, and closed door. if we never knew, obama woulda been re elected instead of ousted come election time again.
he is bush's cousin afterall, as fas a im concerned. prob has someting to do with what eisenhoer warned the public about the military industrial complex in the late 50's...military had future plans for us civilains, guinee pigs and brainwashed soldiers to do the dirty work for them all.
bush's arms and connections are stille xtended i see..so i read here effin dictators they all are

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

You are right.

Yes we can (be more naive?)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

Well, the hits just keep on coming.

I dont doubt that ATS is among one of the resolutions ... You know, we are "terrorists" in potential here.

edit on 14-1-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Hey, Nice avatar.

I dont know if we can do more to warn people. But if this passes, we will regret it again.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Did Obama Break His Campaign Promise to Scrap the Patriot Act?

Then-Senatorial candidate Obama in 2003 branded the Patriot Act "shoddy and dangerous" and pledged to dump it. He made the pledge in response to a candidate's survey by the National Organization for Women. Obama reneged on the pledge. But he did work to shave off some of the more blatantly outrageous constitutional abuses in the Act by imposing some civil liberties protections in the gathering and use of intelligence, on the use of torture in interrogations, and requiring at least some semblance of due process in court proceedings. But that paled in significance when Obama in a letter and with little fanfare and comment routinely let stand most of the still noxious provisions in the Act.

Source

Its old news But we can see that this action was expected.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

It should be law that candidates that win MUST atleast try to uphold their campaign promises..
If it was an advert on TV regarding a product, atleast here in Australia the company would face prosecution for false advertising...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by RUSSO

It should be law that candidates that win MUST atleast try to uphold their campaign promises..
If it was an advert on TV regarding a product, atleast here in Australia the company would face prosecution for false advertising...

You're absolutely right. The impunity that politicians get is something unusual. How long will we sleep on the dirt spread by these false representatives who dominate the government? I'm glad that in your country things are more authentic.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUSSO
Freedom's Gone, again, and again........
Note that they're doing this secretly. They know it defies the US Constitution
This makes me mad. I was actually OK with a temporary implementation to catch up after 9/11 when they got caught off guard. But it was meant to be temporary and I've been opposed to all the extensions, and here we are 10 years later....it doesn't seem temporary anymore, so now it's completely unacceptable.

I also hate the name "patriot act" because it seems to be the most unpatriotic thing to defy the US constitution the way that act does.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Calling it the Patriot Act is done intentionally so that the portion of the countries' population that doesn't care to read things for themselves automatically believes that it has our best interests at heart. Because who doesn't want to be a good patriot, and do everything the government says, right? Propaganda at its finest.

Once again another sickening story coming out of our capitol. It's sad really. I've given up the thought that normal people, our everyday citizens, will ever have a chance to make a difference any more. We're caught in a machine that has become so monstrous in it's compilation of moving parts to ever be able to slow it down by only stopping one gear. The best thing we can do is focus on becoming better people and helping our communities through these hard times. Keep an eye out for those that are close to us and hope for the best.

Wasn't Obama saying some load of crap about how he wanted government transparency? What a fine example of POTUS he makes.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I hope this act isn't extended, but at the same time I assumed the Supreme Court would have ruled this act unconstitutional years ago....

So much for hoping for change...

Only one politician I know of would vote against it:

edit on 14-1-2011 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This makes me mad. I was actually OK with a temporary implementation to catch up after 9/11 when they got caught off guard. But it was meant to be temporary and I've been opposed to all the extensions, and here we are 10 years later....it doesn't seem temporary anymore, so now it's completely unacceptable.

I also hate the name "patriot act" because it seems to be the most unpatriotic thing to defy the US constitution the way that act does.

You're absolutely right Arbitrageur.

Patriot Act is just a euphemism to hide what it really is. A POLICE STATE.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

The terrorists are winning and we're letting them.

Land of the brave and the home of the free... They are both there because you can't have the second without the first, and once again our nation has chosen to cower in fear and sacrifice our principals for some small mote of security that will ultimately make little difference in the end.

I will be sure to notify my rep that this will incur a vote change from me and anyone who will listen to me but in the end most of my neighbors are not willing to accept risk to be free.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Yes, Ron Paul will not accept it. It is a pity that he is just one among many.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

government transparency

This is unfortunately a utopia. But who knows, someday things change.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
What if this act was used to help stabilise the economy, resolve 9/11 and target corruption through out the top end of town. Would this change your support for it?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Since the last two times it was renewed it was done so without any noise whatsoever from anyone I have to ask who are they renewing it for?

People arent making any noise one way of the other about it but it's getting renewed.

Who are they renewing it for?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join