It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dire Straits "Money for Nothing" song banned in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Here is the link
www.washingtontimes.com...

The reason is, for 25 - 30 years now since it came out and was number one almost the world over, no one seemed to mind any of the lyrics. Until lately. Deciding that the song has awful anti-gay slurs in it, it was decided to never play it on radio etc again.

Took em 30 years.
I don't know about any of you but wow, talk about feelings being hurt. What ever happened to 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'? People used to jam that song, play it at bars, clubs, no doubt strip joints, you name it. No one cared. But now suddenly the 'obscenity police' are striking again.

Faggot is an amount of wood chopped up and bundled.
It's also a cigarette in England.
Sure the singer was talking about 'the little faggots got his own jet airplane; the little faggot he's a millionnaire'' but really? It took 30 years?!

They're starting to ban a lot of things which were okay in the past. Didn't they censor Tom Sawyer et al? Didn't they get rid of that old book "Little Black Sambo"?
What's next? Really.

I don't like anyone being offended and hurt anymore than the next person but soon we're gonna live in a sterile world with plastic sheets up for 'privacy' and every word out of your mouth that isn't strictly adhered to the 'general rules of NO OFFENDING' will be monitored 24/7; God forbid you talk in your sleep.

When will they start monitoring our thoughts? Is that next?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Mods, if you can merge this with the other I'd appreciate it. I was directed to the post box coming from the News area. I figured this would be a better posting spot. Sorry for the inconvenience. I had no way to check the submissions before posting. I have no idea where this is outside of the link I got from the other forum.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
That's absurd. Knopfler is making fun of the box-carrying appliance worker who rants and raves at the singer/musician he's watching on MTV. The "little faggot" that has an earring and is a millionaire is actually a rockstar the appliance guy is watching on MTV. Nobody's actually gay in the song. Canadians, meh.

"The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real...." en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join