It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators, NASA at Odds over Heavy Lift Vehicle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Senators, NASA at Odds over Heavy Lift Vehicle

news.yahoo.com

COMMENTARY | NASA's announcement that the shuttle derived heavy lift rocket mandated by the Congress cannot be built either for the money or on the schedule proposed has met with a decidedly chilly reception from the Senate Commerce Committee.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
"We appreciate NASA's report and look forward to the additional material that was required but not submitted. In the meantime, the production of a heavy-lift rocket and capsule is not optional. It's the law. NASA must use its decades of space know-how and billions of dollars in previous investments to come up with a concept that works. We believe it can be done affordably and efficiently - and, it must be a priority."

I know I am on a NASA kick today but I think they need to get their heads out of their rear and do something to impress the world.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Star and Flag.

NASA should be looking to the stars, and they can't even the end of the street!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
It is really sad that we can't get past our political and bureaucratic differences to do something Different for a change. What a novelty stop trying to invest in thirty to forty year old tech, and do something spectacular. We have the ability and I think it would be a big boost for the US and even Russia the main competitors until China and India and Japan get further. With all the advances we have made it is silly and foolish to continue to pursue old ideas, and not allow ourselves (meaning NASA and others) to advance.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I know I am on a NASA kick today but I think they need to get their heads out of their rear and do something to impress the world.

S & F

I'm in agreement that they can and should be able to accomplish what has been set out in front of them. They have been at this game for decades now. I'm not worried about the "Impress the world" bit. They should just do their job is all.

And not worry about the most realistic Sci fi movies etc.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I agree totally, all the bickering and objective changes is wrecking, or wrecked, the credibility of NASA.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It would be about time NASA started doing something impressive.

Slightly off-topic, but IMO, the partnerships with ESA and other space agencies should go to the next level as we need to know more about our universe.

Death Star anyone?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You are right, the "impress the world" was meant to do something that the whole world can enjoy and learn from, a statement that they still got it covered.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Of course they could just offer to buy the rights to build the Russian Energia booster under license.... In its maximum config that could put 175 tonnes into orbit.

Watch how fast the congressional enthusiasm evaporates in the face of that suggestion :-)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You are right, the "impress the world" was meant to do something that the whole world can enjoy and learn from, a statement that they still got it covered.

Yes. I still remember how great it was when the television sets around the world had live(almost) feeds from the moon in July of 1969. It felt really good to be human that day.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
There is another option that I consider the best: invest into United Launch Alliances Atlas or Delta launchers. These are flight-proven launch systems capable of launching people or super-heavy payloads cheaper than NASA state moloch. ULA has already offered its services for NASA, along with a plan for missions to Moon. The reason why this option is neglected is politics, technically and economically it is superior, IMHO.

United Launch Alliance
edit on 13/1/11 by Maslo because: link

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Simply curious here, are we still referring to oxygen combustion propulsion here or have we moved on, oops was i not supposed to provoke thought stimulation within ats ?
edit on 13-1-2011 by tristar because: are

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Having literally hundreds of anti gravity projects since the fifties, and with the idea of doing the job, efficiently,
why is there no antiravtics in the works for nasa by now?
people like Townsed brown, Nickola Tesla, and many others have shown working models of anti gravitic propulsion.
Dont you think its about time the wraps came off these devices which have been usurped by the military to their own puroses, and hidden for decades,from the people who paid all the bills?
We should be demanding a return on investment from the US goverment for the trillions of dollars we have DONE WITHOUT SOCIALLY for so long.
How does it make you feel to know that health care, poverty, and education have starved for funding to produce these toys for the brass hats who have no interest in using the technology for anything but anti-life operations?
It is a travesty committed on the people who have supported the space program all these years, including other countries whosde partneship and funding Nasa has so willingly co-opted.
Time for the truth, and some payback.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Look at the first picture on this link:

Von Braun's Saturn Rocket Team

That's the size of the management team you need (composed of talented, MOTIVATED people) to go to the moon in this decade, and to do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.

Look what Skunk Works does with a handful of talented, MOTIVATED people.

NASA is all butt and no boot.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Having literally hundreds of anti gravity projects since the fifties, and with the idea of doing the job, efficiently,
why is there no antiravtics in the works for nasa by now?
people like Townsed brown, Nickola Tesla, and many others have shown working models of anti gravitic propulsion.
Dont you think its about time the wraps came off these devices which have been usurped by the military to their own puroses, and hidden for decades,from the people who paid all the bills?

If there are working models, how would you take the wraps off of them? Could you provide some evidence of these anti-gravity devices, because I would be interested to know more about them.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
so what about "Buzz" aldrin and his Aquila series of rockets/heavy lift
technology? I was under the impression this is what there using?
Or a very viable option.

buzzaldrin.com...

top topics

join