It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: If Aliens Exist, They Probably Want To Destroy Us

page: 1titled
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Study: If Aliens Exist, They Probably Want To Destroy Us

www.csmonitor.com

When considering the prospect of alien life, humankind should prepare for the worst, according to a new study: Either we're alone, or any aliens out there are acquisitive and resource-hungry, just like us.

These two unpalatable options are pretty much the only possibilities....

British scientist Simon Conway Morris believes there are only two possibilities for alien life; either we're alone or aliens exist, and they are out to get us.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So aliens will look just like us, and they are out to get us.

Hawking says if aliens exist, they may come for us.
www.space.com...

So if you meet an alien, maybe you dont want to meet him with open arms.

There is reason to be wary of such creatures, according to Conway Morris.

"If intelligent aliens exist, they will look just like us, and given our far-from-glorious history, this should give us pause for thought," he writes in the study, which was published today (Jan. 10) in the journal Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society

Oh no not the The Royal Society! The Masterminds

So the real question is, what do we really know about aliens?

And if they come for us, what could we possibly do?

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't know about look like us, but if they're intelligent enough to fly into the stars...IDK
it's hard to say...

they could be intelligent beyond the point of mindless violence, or technologically driven war machine

+48 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is so absurd and incorrect that I would have to call it fear mongering propaganda.

Point # 1 ) If aliens wanted us dead, we already would be dead.

Point # 2 ) If hostile aliens approached, they would have orbital bombardment capabilities and would be able to destroy Earth in seconds.

Just because humans want to destroy everything they see, it does not follow that all other lifeforms will also be as negative and twisted.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You only declare war on things that you feel threatened by and need to take direct action to resolve.

Aliens would not feel threatened by us primitive humans.

Therefore, they would not declare war on us.

We are too low of a life form to even merit a declaration of war from beings that advanced.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Mabey some are up on data of recent discoveries outside of general populace knowledge in concern with celestials.. I still wouldnt consider all Alien or E.T. life to behave this way. Some may have orders from the most highest.
edit on 1/12/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Count it all towards the fear-mongering space-based weapons train of thought? Conditioning the masses I tell you!
I mean, Christ: "Mike Wall, SPACE.com Senior Writer" writes for The Christian Science Monitor

edit on 12-1-2011 by igigi because: .

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Exactly my thoughts. Humans tend to see themselves in everyone else. Plus yes, it´s most likely propaganda to make people fear aliens if they should want to contact us openly. Many people would lose power if they do and if people actually should like them.

link   

Oh my goodness I dont take it so seriously.
Fear mongering?

Hey muzzleflash, I love ya but its not serious.
Did you miss the part about The Royal Society?

I mean, why would they fear monger?

link   
reply to post by burntheships

Like in the original V,they have come to rape
our planet and kill us.
I would not welcome any "alien" visitor with
open arms.I would hope that they didn't see me!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
This scientist seems pretty narrow minded doesn't he? Surely the logical way of thinking would be that if we are not alone there would be a vast amount of life out there some good some bad and all at various stages of evolution and capability.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Yeah, I want a cloaking burka.
No offense intended.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

You're wrong!They will destroy us from the
inside out.They are not extraterrestrial,they
are interdimensional.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by burntheships

they have come to rape
our planet and kill us.

Well, don´t you think it´s too late for that, because we already did it ourselves.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
So the real question is, what do we really know about aliens?

They either exist, or they don't. That much we can pretty much be sure of.

And if they come for us, what could we possible do?

Try to live, just like always.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

So aliens will look just like us, and they are out to get us.

How are we supposed to recognize them? If they think they look just like us, what makes them think they aren't here yet? Is this just another thing to divide people? Look out for your neighbour, he might be an alien?!!???

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Like someone else said once before.
-If they wanted us dead, we wouldn't be here.
-They can travel the stars in an infinite universe, they wouldn't need earth's resources.
-I'm sure they have lived a lot longer than us and have saw and experienced that war isn't good for anything.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Amandla

That is a good one,star for you
and these for good measure

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You only declare war on things that you feel threatened by and need to take direct action to resolve.

You left out a third, but very valid reason.

War is also (and often) declared for the purpose of taking things from someone else. Could be territory, resources, or both.

Recent case in point. Many people believe the U.S. attacked iraq not because iraq was a threat to the U.S., but instead to secure their oil.

Aliens could easily have the same motives. And maybe they just haven't gotten here yet since our solar system is known to exist in a sort of backwater of the Milky Way galaxy.

Another consideration is our own earth history and what almost always happens when a more advanced culture (the aliens) meets a more primitive (us) culture. The more primitive culture is almost always destroyed - even if that wasn't the intent.
edit on 1/12/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I know, right? Which threat are you to believe? 3 Dimensional; Inter-dimensional; evolved humans that look like greys from the future because that's when they discover time travel "OH MY!!@"

That's the crux of the arguement, if we are to believe there is life in the universe not born of this world (or dimension
) are they here to hurt us? The whole "alien agenda" topic gets skewed on both sides, but more often to the "they're dangerous" spectrum.

Granted yes, a super-advanced intelligence capable of traversing light-years quickly enough to come visit us here on Earth, with frequency.... would probably not have a vested interest in us and our societies; but is that reason to promote fear that would ultimately lead us to space-based weapons.

Now talk about a inter-stellar "red-flag" when visiting a planet!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join