It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Anniversary Club Gitmo!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
1 year after Obama said he was going to shut it down, Club Gitmo is still hosting terrorists looking to relieve the stress of Jihad.
edit on 1-1-2011 by Carseller4 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Your thread is fueled with political polarization with absolutely no constructive debate or articulate positions on the subject. It is a smear campaign as usual.

We all acknowledge that President Obama had made a quite public promise to end Guantanamo Bay. He had never given up on that promise but it is now legally impossible for him to fulfill this due to the passing of legislation in December that barred any Guantanamo prisoner from being relocated to prisons on US soil as any funding was banned.

Please try and formulate a more organized and thought based criticism of the President than a simple two line thread with no links, substantial argument, or fact based reasoning.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Your thread is fueled with political polarization with absolutely no constructive debate or articulate positions on the subject. It is a smear campaign as usual.

whaaaaa....lol

We all acknowledge that President Obama had made a quite public promise to end Guantanamo Bay. He had never given up on that promise but it is now legally impossible for him to fulfill this due to the passing of legislation in December that barred any Guantanamo prisoner from being relocated to prisons on US soil as any funding was banned.

oh my, please stop, you're going to make me puke

Please try and formulate a more organized and thought based criticism of the President than a simple two line thread with no links, substantial argument, or fact based reasoning.

please quit whining

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Nope he's got till the 20th of January.

Come on! Give it time!

It's not like he's had enough time to do anything of any consequence!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Exactly, we have no where else to put these POW's (and that is exactly what they are, Prisoners of War, not "unlawful enemy combatants")

While "liberals" would want Gitmo closed and the Prisoners of War relocated, there is no where they can go. I am not sure why people who oppose this current administration are complaining at all, they didn't seem to care at all during the last administration and in fact were defending the last administration for keeping these people locked up indefinitely.

Sounds to me like more partisan rhetoric designed to denigrate this administration, with no actual desire for the aforementioned outcome.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Yep, the president is still finding difficulty closing gitmo, because the republicans and many other conservatives are making it difficult to move it anywhere else. So if you are to blame the president for not closing it, I suggest you look right back toward DC conservatives, mmmk?
edit on 1-1-2011 by Southern Guardian because: fixed

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Misoir

Exactly, we have no where else to put these POW's (and that is exactly what they are, Prisoners of War, not "unlawful enemy combatants")

While "liberals" would want Gitmo closed and the Prisoners of War relocated, there is no where they can go. I am not sure why people who oppose this current administration are complaining at all, they didn't seem to care at all during the last administration and in fact were defending the last administration for keeping these people locked up indefinitely.

Sounds to me like more partisan rhetoric designed to denigrate this administration, with no actual desire for the aforementioned outcome.

Here's what you just said:

"BLAH BLAH BLAH BELIEVE THE FLASE LEFT RIGHT PARADIGM

MEN IN CAVES DID THIS

MEN IN CAVES MADE NORAD STAND DOWN

BLAH BLAH BLAH BELIEVE THE FLASE LEFT RIGHT PARADIGM"

yuck,

filth

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The President needs to order the military to determine which of those at Gitmo were armed when taken.

Which would be most of them.

Then, take those out and shoot them.

In accordance with the Geneva Conventions and full agreements as signed.

Non-uniformed combatants - summary execution.

By international law.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

Actually that's not what I said at all, might I suggest that you re read what I did say, and instead of some weak failed attempt at a rebuttal, come back with something more substantial and worthwhile to the discussion.

What is really telling about your post was the use of "False Left/Right wing paradigm." Inferring that people have no political leanings of their own and in fact everyone believes the exact same thing. Which is obviously WRONG.

But the reality is this, people can be conservative, people can be liberal, people can range all over the political scale. Your failed and quite pathetic use of the overused ATS term of "False Left/Right wing paradigm" doesn't apply here.

Also as far as this:

MEN IN CAVES DID THIS

MEN IN CAVES MADE NORAD STAND DOWN

This doesn't apply either, this thread isn't about 9/11, this is about the war in Afghanistan and the POWs that we have in Gitmo. It's completely irrelevant what NORAD does, it's completely irrelevant what men in caves do, we are talking about the prisoners currently being held at GITMO, and the presidential promise of closing that detention facility in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

There are people that have a political agenda to oppose this particular administration, this has to do with their personal political leanings more than anything else. Some people don't like the idea of a liberal in office. These same people seemed to have been quite silent on the issue during the last administration.

So, instead of just weakly flipping out about the "False left/right wing paradigm" like so many have done on ATS to the point of absurdity. Trying to make the statement that everyone thinks exactly the same and everyone leans exactly the same politically and no one has their own brains and their own opinions. Why don't you please do us a favor and re read what is posted and answer in the context of the thread subject?

reply to post by FarArcher

Can you be specific (with references to the exact articles of the Geneva convention) where it says that executions of Prisoners of War is allowed?
edit on 1/1/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Since Obama decided on the indefinite detainment thing, I'm guessing he wasn't serious, and yup, it's his fault. Not the GOP, not right wing talking heads, just plain old Obama.......how's that hope changey thing working?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Since you directly quoted Caribou Barbie, I'll rebut with How is that "Drill baby Drill" thingy working out for you?

Seems to me that Obama went the bipartisan route here, and tried to satisfy the conservatives who did not want Gitmo closed and the POWs there moved to prisons here in the United States.

Kinda telling when people are so partisan they can't even give credit when this administration does something THEY WANT!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

He finally went the bi-partisan route, hmmm, thats completely different from his not being able to pass anything even with 2 majorities, and yet it's all the GOP's fault. I think he needed to appear to have another win, just like the repeal of DADT and the Start treaty, both are worthless, and yet he appears to have accomplished something.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What I think would be funny is if Obama went completely conservative in his Presidential Style without telling anyone he was doing it, the rhetoric by those that just oppose him because of the (D) behind his name would be funny to witness, as they fell all over themselves trying to poo poo his agenda at the same time trying to defend their own conservative values.

It would be very telling about the people that oppose Obama.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I'm not just anti Obama, I mad as hell at both sides. The reason I'm harping on him is both parties are to blame, and yet it's always the evil GOP that are blocking the righteous Dems or it's still the fault of President Bush. If his policies suck, he needs to take responsibility and quit blaming everyone else. I'm not surprisded he didn't close it, I never thought he would. It was a good talking point to try and get votes in my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Every candidate lies to get in office, so I'm just picking on him, but I have no doubt, the talk of closing it was one of two things, either a ploy for votes, or he is in way over his head and didn't check first to see what he'd be allowed to do as president before he made the promise.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Misoir

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were and are illegal, and undeclared! Y'all did the same thing as when you attacked Vietnam and Korea and did not declare war as such, so that you would not be bound by the Geneva Convention.
So these people are not Prisoners of War,if they were, they would have legal protections Dubya and Cheney didn't want to give them.
The term 'enemy combatants' is a complete nonsense...
Vicky

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I'm not just anti Obama, I mad as hell at both sides.

Who do you think you're lying to? It can't be me, because I have seen your posts on here.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Yep, the president is still finding difficulty closing gitmo, because the republicans and many other conservatives are making it difficult to move it anywhere else. So if you are to blame the president for not closing it, I suggest you look right back toward DC conservatives, mmmk?
edit on 1-1-2011 by Southern Guardian because: fixed

Funny....I seem to remember huge majorities for the Democrats when Obama took office. Your blaming Republicans is pretty lame, lame but expected.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

"What is really telling about your post was the use of "False Left/Right wing paradigm." Inferring that people have no political leanings of their own and in fact everyone believes the exact same thing. Which is obviously WRONG".

fail

that is not at all what The False Left/Ring Paradigm is. You misquoted me by the way, i never said "wing" so kindly remove those quotations

The false left/right paradigm is the over dramatized 90s style wrestling match our culture has come to accept as the way government is.

The left blames the right

The right blames the left

Republicans screw you for a bit

Then the democrats have their turn.

They finger point at each other, point the finger, and spend our Money.

We are run by an uncontrolled oligarchy, plain and simple.

Republicrats and Demopublicans are one in the same.

Meanwhile their overlord(s) who remains nameless pull the strings.

This video breaks it down really well in a few minutes time.

Happy New Year

edit on 1-1-2011 by vermonster because: quotes

edit on 1-1-2011 by vermonster because: s

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

You misquoted me by the way, i never said "wing" so kindly remove those quotations

I will do no such thing, because I was not quoting you, see, if I were quoting you, I would use the proper QUOTE text box as exampled above to ensure that what I am quoting from you is completely accurate, when I use quotation marks (") that means I am quoting an idea and not you directly.

And because I am talking about people and pundits that object to anything this administration does, your "false left/right wing paradigm" does not apply because people can and do have political leanings that are left and right and because I am not talking about a political party but people your analogy doesn't hold any water, and because it is completely blown on this discussion it is irrelevant and pointless to this discussion.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Funny....I seem to remember huge majorities for the Democrats when Obama took office.

Majorities do not assure the closing of Gitmo neither do people in your political party. What's more, there were many states that outright refused and still refuse Gitmo being moved toward their states.

Your blaming Republicans is pretty lame, lame but expected.

Oh I think its fitting. We still have a chance to close Gitmo now, but ever since republicans regained filibuster powers through Browns win at the beginning of this year they have been blocking any further attempts to move forward in doing this. I think it's pritty lame you're blaming Obama for something many conservatives in DC have been blocking. It makes no sense to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join