It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Internet a very large-scale spying machine" – info leaking site co-founder

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I just read an article yesterday about a "suspected terrorist" who was reported to authorities about posts he made on facebook. They had pictures of himself with some questionable people, supposedly in connection with terrorist groups. I believe theyre questioning him or her now about it? Anyone know what im talking about? I read the article but didn't follow up yet.

The easy part for the feds is they can have the isp's monitor there customers, and report anything suspicious. Takes the weight off whatever government bearu may be monitoring the internet.

I may be dating myself, but remember the basics from boy scouts. The north star is always constant.Moss grows on the north side,
drink water up stream, learn how to tie a knot, start a flint fire, etc etc. Good to know when everything electronic malfunctions for whatever reason.
Also, any free encryption programs you may download and use, could probably be cracked fairly easily by someone who knows what they're doing. ie : government agencies, hackers,fbi etc. Plus you never know if the program itself is actually intercepting your info and sending it for commercial purposes.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I really don't think they care what the internet crowd thinks. We are rightly assumed to be among the most passive demographics. The most anyone will do is get "pissed off" over something they read or hear and then pass it along.

Most news, including most all content on ATS, is strictly a form of entertainment. People are attracted to it because it moves them. It is the real "entertainment news," ...celebrities fall under "entertainment entertainment news."

Knowing what is going on is useless unless there is some follow-up action done to change the circumstances.

In my opinion, most of us have chased "the truth" but are never satisfied with it even after we have acquired it. The chase starts as a quest to know what really happened then turns into a never-ending obsession to view hours of video and read countless more articles, hoping for that "ah-ha" moment. But, it came and it comes. There's a thrill in the chase, so we keep going for more and more. It is a form of entertainment in the way it pulls on your emotions. Most of us are too eager to jump on others who watch TV, but we have spent hours on YouTube.

We might want to reconsider our quest and take a look in the mirror.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mastermook

Are you referring to Faux News and the Indiana lady?

news.antiwar.com...
edit on 30-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

if u guys are worried about ur privacy u should look into Peerblock
edit on 30-12-2010 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I notice none of you have stopped using the internet yet...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

the next generation of internet will be largely controlled by corporations/big government. here is what it will look like:

www.infowars.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cablespider
reply to post by Mastermook

Are you referring to Faux News and the Indiana lady?

news.antiwar.com...
edit on 30-12-2010 by Cablespider because: (no reason given)

Yeah that was the report. Thanks. I found an independent report on their broadcasting misinformation by :Ron Kaufman.
It's all for ratings, not much of what is said has any facts or substance.
www.turnoffyourtv.com...

There really is no privacy out there, What is posted on the internet is open to the public. So Beware.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by urmenimu2
reply to post by Misoir

the next generation of internet will be largely controlled by corporations/big government. here is what it will look like:

www.infowars.com...

Yes, I read something about that a few weeks ago. Not form info wars though., you are basically renting space on their hard drive. It supposed to "make computers lighter,faster, etc, because you wont have an actual "hardware" drive on the laptop, because it will be on a server somewhere out in cyberspace. I personally am not fond of the idea. I'd much rather handle my own security and privacy. Besides, the way harddrives are now, you can always buy one with more room if you need to and it's cheap.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Mask

it is the same war that is happening in our consciousnesses.

if our mind are free, internet will be;

www is reflection of us

if we let them take over our thoughts, aspirations and create our desires we'll end up using the web solely for facebooking and buying online useless crap to the same corporations we were buying it to in the shopping center.

or we can use www to shortcut them, share knowledge and be economically independent in a sustainable, creative and progressive way. (as example, buy your coffee directly from the poor Equatorian paysant that managed to get a webpage online with a picture of his coffee trees)

you must know that ultimately, we don't need them, but they need us and they understand very well how dangerous for their power is www

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Wikileaks could very well be a scam and the mainstream media and people here on ATS are eagerly hyping it up. What shocking stories has wikileaks actually published? Nothing extraordinary. Nothing about Kennedy, nothing about 911, nothing special about aliens... Just information that isn't really of crucial significance.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

"I had this holy-cow moment when I realized what was going on," Kennish said. "There's just so much unknown about what's being done with this data."

"I think there is a good reason to be concerned with it all and, frankly, to be fearful of it," he said.

www.cnn.com...

I am not at all suprised by the OP's article, in fact I have not once visited the wikileaks website
Don't think I plan to either

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
I notice none of you have stopped using the internet yet...

rofl my waffelz.
And neither have you, comrade!
Second line.

But no, really, even though I don't doubt the validity of the idea of the internet being that the internet is partly a massive spy-machine (it was originally created as a military project. Remember; IBM facilitated the Holocaust. Technology is a tool. It can be a simple convenience or it can be a weapon.), if there's one I've learned about the internet, is that eventually, it all becomes a cacophony. So many tons upon tons of stuff (much of it trivial, or, for a large part, simply Pr0N), it'd take a literal army to sort through it all.
So, like the real world, just try to keep your head down.
Keep your Low Orbit Ion Cannon's in your pants. Don't be a Facebook Whore. Cut your friends list down a little. If they're friends, they should be people you KNOW, right? Or better yet, just stay Anon and don't be a /b/tard in public. You're the man now, dog. Just don't do Something Awful on MySpace and you'll be alright.

I think Freud would say the internet is just a giant auto-erotic device and it's just a bunch of people trying to get laid.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
"Internet a very large-scale spying machine"

It will evolve into a Terminator/Global Hawk/Skynet/Matrix. We built it. It is here to destroy humanity unless we find a way to balance to all these chaotic equations of reality!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Its very simple.

There isn't any secrecy or security on the World Wide Web for average people.

Anything an average person says or does online can be monitored and recorded.

Social networks, blogs, and forums make the process easier.

Average person meaning most people who casually use the web.

So what you're really saying is that if someone says something on the internet, where they offer their opinion to the PUBLIC DOMAIN, where they say it publicly and for others to see, where they willingly do this and do it without coercion, that they have given their words and thoughts to the world and there is no security to prevent it being used?

Gee, thats scary!!11

You would assume that the countless perverts, murder groupies, sociopath, terrorists, et al who use mundane Email services would be easy to track, take down and contain if the internet were as so open and traceable as you suggest.

You know why they aren't? Because there is privacy on the internet.

But then again, the governments of every major country in the world really just wanna know what bobby is saying on ATS because he might just be a live one....

Rule of thumb :

If people can hear what you say, then you are speaking too loud.
If people read what you write, then you are writing in an open forum.

Want to be safe and secure? get off blogs, facebook, mytspace, youtube, usenet, irc, msn, xfire, or whatever your favourite method of gossiping is.

Ugh, these threads do my head in, theres at least one a week these days.....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Jeez why wasn't this noticed? I didn't notice. Not at all... The head line for this thread almost feel's like your trying to reach out the the incompatible. Ever since AOL 4.0 there has been a "personal audit" in terms of internet usage and people's using it.. Every ISP does random port scan's. Just call your ISP up you can't deny it. Anyone who uses a Instant messenger can be found doing so via a port index. Same goes for the ATS site. I did a port scan and found myself in Arizona. Even still, It's not illegal and you can't be brought to a court of law base don what you browse via internet. But I'm sure some of you will take what I said out of context and not take what I just said as liable information.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

most of us are just curious people, one day we look at ufo´s, the other day its the Kennedy assassination, the other day its the moon hoax or the stargate at the gulf of aden. If the secret services were to monitor our activities on the web they would get mad because at least me and I suspect most of us are just people with lots of curiosity about lots of stuff.

They can track our activities on the web the same way they tracked the activities of library users in the past, I suspect out wanderings on the web are not much different from theirs (the secret services)

my 2 cents for this tread.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Microsoft, don't forget about those guys. They created the platform for easy spying intentionally. To scare you even more the data logging is mirrored multiple times over and sent to different servers worldwide... a la wikileaks. Folks, don't kid yourselves. Unless you've been in a security watch room with all kinds of monitors, joysticks and zoom in goodies, you'll never know how powerful and omnipotent it feels to be in that position. Voyeurism is what it's called I believe, and until you refuse to relinquish your privacy they will be looking oh yes, they will be watching with that all seeing eye. It's what makes them money. The government merely gives out billions to jerks like zuckerberg for swapping all of your info.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Just because you visit a site does not mean you agree with or support what they are doing.

Actually in a way you are spying on the enemy just as much as anyone else by going to see what they are up to.

I know I follow people on twitter who I don't particularly like but I'm waiting for them to say something stupid then I can retweet to as many as possible

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

I don´t think its a scam, I think its what assange says it is but of course it may have been used/abused by the intelligence services, that wouldn´t be surprising at all.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I foresee this thread turning into a disinformation tragedy.
2nd.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join