It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europe's Muslims and Jews Unite to Fight Food-Labeling Proposal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Did you read the article? The second to the last paragraph goes on to say that they have no problem with labels, ie halal, kosher, electrocution, etc. They have a problem with a label that leads a person to believe the animal was deliberately tortured.

Now, I admit, I have no real knowledge about what is done to make meat halal or kosher, I am not Muslim or Jew, so I really don't care. But the point remains they have a problem with this specific label, not a simple Kosher label.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Same thing with cigarette packs their putting
pictures of dying cancer patients and hearts on them..
It is for the *nanny state* governments
cracking down on *the people*.

Who cares how the animal died, IT IS AN ANIMAL!!!!

It's not like they are clubbing them to death or beating the crap out of a cow!!

Get a grip people leave muslim and jewish peoples food alone with your nanny state BS!!!

You know for a fact only 18 percent of people who smoke gets cancer...

That mean 82 percent of people who smoke DO NOT GET CANCER!

Your risk is at about 1.8 percent if you never smoked...

So yes a big difference between smokers and non smokers but they do not tell you that 80% of smokers NEVER GET LUNG CANCER!!

If people want to eat types of meat prepared in a certain way, why do they need a retarded warning?
edit on 29-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
They have a problem with a label that leads a person to believe the animal was deliberately tortured.

The animal IS deliberately tortured

Their argument is all or nothing

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

What are they calling the animals names?

Making them run around naked?

Sodomizing them or something?????

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Halal and Kosher slaughter is about removing the blood, the brain and spinal cord from the meat. Generally Halal and Kosher meat is about keeping food clean and free from disease vectors.

Since BSE, slaughterhouse in the West remove the blood and carefully separate the brain and spinal cord from the meat just like Halal and Kosher meat have been doing a long time.

The only difference now is that Muslims slice the jugular to slaughter, Jews tip over the cow in a barrel contraption and slice the throat while secular slaughter with electrocution and destroys the brain of the animal.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by tristar
That is correct, consume your daily, minutes, thoughts, with topics that have no bearing on reality but rather to satisfy those who have a twisted approach to the human evolution.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
-- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

Without sounding rude as my intentions are far from it, but Mr. M. Gandhi lived in times when wifi was only available to the military, so his quotes and interpretations are from what reality is. Please do not forget the fact that we are currently on top of the food chain for a reason. Sure i have empathy for animals but when my very existence or its interpretation of what the human race needs to sustain its viability then, animals take second place.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
What are they calling the animals names?

Making them run around naked?

Sodomizing them or something?????

Viewer Discretion is Advised!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

That does not sound like torture to me.

Torture would make it seem like the animal had it's limbs all broken, it's head beaten in, eyes poked out, THAT is torture..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

It is most definitely not torture but trouble makers and animal rights activists are taking advantage of hostility to religion to ban meat eating.

I would rather eat a steak from a cow that has had a nice life being a free range animal and slaughtered the Halal way to the alternative factory farming and factory slaughter that brought about BSE.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Did you see that lamb????

It was like "i'm getting the hell out of here"

Seriously, thats how they did it in the old days. So what?

Thats why beast is under man...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
"Derived from animals that have not been stunned prior to slaughter." This would imply that any meat without this label were "stunned prior to slaughter". Do they electrocute them? Lethal injection? Whack them over the head with a hammer? What exactly is it to "stun" an animal? Sounds like torture to me any way you cut it.

Just a hunch, but this seems more to me like a deliberate attempt to stigmatize a religious practice by implying that the animals are tortured, rather than any concern for transparency in the market. If they wanted to let consumers know the animal had been tortured, the label would say, "Derived from animals that were tortured prior to slaughter". But they can't say that, because it would be difficult to prove, however they want to plant the seed in the mind of the consumer. Sounds like backhanded BS to me.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am not trying to discount anyone's religious beliefs, but I'm trying to understand if not maybe people are missing the message and relying too much on the rule or words.

If the reason for the rule was to minimize animal suffering, and that rule incorporated the available methods and tools of time why can we not now, with methods available to eliminate the suffering, why can those not be employed? Is it not possible that God did not mention stunning, gun shots, electricity, etc because those methods and tools were not available?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I fully support this proposal. Who the hell cares if it is their backwards religion or not? Animals must be slaughtered in humane ways, and I would ban this halal nonsense if I could.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

But Halal is the humane way. I think the electrocution method is evil and should be banned.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

no if you have to eat meat quick and easy is the correct way
That's how Sikhs do it to, in their religion it's like it's better not to eat meat but if you really want to just make sure the animal was not tortured and it was a quick death.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
reply to post by Maslo

But Halal is the humane way. I think the electrocution method is evil and should be banned.

So you think that cutting the neck of an animal and let it bleed out is more humane than powerful electric shock into brain causing instant unconsciousness and death? Any evidence to support your claim?

Electrocution was used for human executions for a reason.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

There was a case just recently in NZ in regards to Kosher ritual killings. The Govt outlawed it based upon the ritual killing does'nt use stunning beforehand. The Halal already use the stunning method in NZ before their ritual killing. The Jewish community was about to take the case to court when John Key, NZ's PM, changed his mind and allowed the one time acception to Kosher ritual killings to continue, an outrage by the animal rights groups and quite rightly so.

The Jewish community's case was why could Kiwis shoot wild pig and deer, sometimes causing the animal to suffer. They were right too.

The Rabbis allege their ritual killing is painless to the animal but plenty of videos on Youtube prove otherwise.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

so your not going to eat from this one?

or is it just because muslims and jews do it your whining about it

as far as im concerned their is no humane way to slaughter just my opinion and my right to my opinion

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
or is it just because muslims and jews do it your whining about it

I'm vegetarian, never had swine in my life.

Originally posted by Dr UAE
as far as im concerned their is no humane way to slaughter just my opinion and my right to my opinion

What makes you say that you have a right to your opinion?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr UAE

I don't eat pig but I will admit I was Kosher for many years until I watched a Kosher ritual killing of an animal and have been Halal ever since....because the Muslims use stun guns beforehand.

My daughter was a vegan and now vegetarian and I'm leaning towards that way slowly so I'm doing my best to try and change the way I eat.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join