It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Arguments for "GOD" to Be Aware Of

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i really think that these debates when submitted, should have to be looked at carefully and filtered threw until one is created that actually proves one side over the other. no more belief bashing. no more name calling. no more being told you are going to burn in hell, or that you are an ignorant mental patient for not believing in theory.

it seems that there are at least 2 of these threads posted every week. one started by atheists telling believers they are crazy and dumb and then a retaliation from believers telling atheists they will be in pain for all of eternity. no one ever wins. no one ever has proof (theories are not proof and books are not proof they are only evidence).

i dont like to take sides but i do see the atheists starting these arguments. i know that atheists feel that they are attacked a lot by theists and told they will burn in hell but i honestly rarely see it. or at least i dont see it nearly as much as i see the atheists bashing the theists. going into threads about the bible or religion in general, i always see on the first page at least a few atheists saying that God is not real or something to that effect.

the threads that i mainly see theists attacking atheists, are threads about theists being crazy or ignorant. there are the occasional "atheist are going to be humped in the butt by a demon for all eternity if they dont believe what we believe" threads, but its like throwing a bolder into the ocean.

every one should just stop arguing until they prove their side. and i mean real prove. not frozen monkeys with the butt of man, nore clouds that look like jesus giving 2 thumbs up but actual, undeniable proof.

to bad that this has been said over and over and over again and it is still going on.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
In reply to the thread;

We as Christians live in acceptance and hope. I see many others are living in denial. Why does it bother any that we Christians live in acceptance and hope, that is our choice. If we thought someting else had a better basis we probably would take it up. The basis is eternity for me.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

It is the rare person indeed who will understand the concept of not making a decision is still making a decision, atheist or otherwise. Most will ridicule as such an idea doesnt fit into their concept of the universe. Oh well, hopefully the two sides of the same coin will eventually go to the edge and peer over

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xsheep

Annee are you defending your atheist belief here ?

what is a belief ?

A belief is something that is not true in your own experience and therefore ends up needing to be defended
what do you think all those holy wars where about.....people killing each other to defend their own religiouse beliefs.

Annee I cannot show you the holy Ghost ....and neither can a scientist or a holy preacher
as the "holy Ghost" which is so wonderfully named .... is with out reflection (oneness)

you have to find the truth of (oneness) in your own experience

something you need to experience for yourself

I do have beliefs. My beliefs are science related. But it is not about not believing in a God.

To not believe there is a God - - I'd first have to believe there is one - - to say I don't believe it.

There is absence of a God. A void. Nothing of substance to not believe.

I was raised Christian. Let's NOT do the Holy Ghost bit.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Not everyone has the same definition of god, have you tried searching beyond yours, and others, concepts and beliefs?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sinohptik

Not everyone has the same definition of god, have you tried searching beyond yours, and others, concepts and beliefs?

I am 64 years old - - I've searched pretty much all of them.

My granny was Irish Catholic - - did her best to make me Catholic. I was raised Christian (tried several denominations) - - I was Mormon for 5 years. Dabbled in Wiccan - Buddhism - Tai - and several others.

My mom was also a member of Dr. Ernest Holmes first church in Los Angeles. Power of Positive Thinking/Science of Mind.

Should I go on?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Nope, dont worry about it, you answered my question quite clearly

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Nope, dont worry about it, you answered my question quite clearly

Thanks for the reply.

I do believe in a consciousness energy (science). But not anything I would label God.

If anything - you'd be your own god. Christians don't like this concept much.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Not all christians are the same

This particular one believes we are god, but not exclusively. I label it as "God" as when i searched beyond all of the religious and non-religious bull# (including my own) i found what was being talked about all along, even though most had no idea what they were referring to. Through religion, and control of various powers that be throughout the ages, that personal search has been tainted by both sides of the same coin. though, i also can consider myself an atheist, agnostic, buddhist, taoist, pantheist, deist, and a sprinkling of a few other things. At least by their commonly accepted definitions.

As an atheist, i have my doubts as to whether or not you actually care to learn anothers perspective, but i hate to always assume and have yet to speak with you directly. Most are more concerned with arguing nothing but flawed conceptualizations, which is all any of us have.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

As an atheist, i have my doubts as to whether or not you actually care to learn another's perspective, but i hate to always assume and have yet to speak with you directly. Most are more concerned with arguing nothing but flawed conceptualizations, which is all any of us have.

Yeah - kind of thought you'd like that.

I doubt you could present me with any perspective I don't already know of.

I say "listen to the message of love and leave the dogma alone"

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I doubt you could present me with any perspective I don't already know of.

You might be surprised, but i have no desire to "prove" that
My perspective has no relevance to yours, other than the fact we can learn from one another how truly complex, enormous, and beautiful this all really is. I however, do not hold the same misconception towards you. I am sure you could present me with some sliver of a perspective i was not aware of before.

I say "listen to the message of love and leave the dogma alone"

Agreed! Though, i prefer "Live the message of love" But i suppose, such statements in and of themselves, are also dogmatic. tricky stuff

edit on 28-12-2010 by sinohptik because: panda bear revolt

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

You might be surprised, but i have no desire to "prove" that
My perspective has no relevance to yours, other than the fact we can learn from one another how truly complex, enormous, and beautiful this all really is. I however, do not hold the same misconception towards you. I am sure you could present me with some sliver of a perspective i was not aware of before.

Not the issue of the thread. Our personal beliefs are not the issue of the thread.

It isn't that I'm not interested in other perspectives. Maybe you could start a thread explaining your perspective - then invite me via U2U.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

From what i have seen, my true interest in others perspectives is not matched on a level that would make me want to do such a thing, but i appreciate the thought.

You are also entirely correct, I seem very skilled at pulling threads off topic without even realizing i am doing it. Thanks for the reminder

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

i know your post is a response to someone else but the bit about searching beyond my beliefs? I would search if i felt the need to search but I dotn feel that need

I also think that others who do not believe in any faiths also dont feel the need to search for reasons to believe

I believe that all holy books are distortions of ancient eyewitnes accounts of the annunaki in ancient Sumeria and their mining operations

seems like they are echoes of those texts but always changed in some way - like playing a game of chinese whispers

sorry - whatever other ppl have that makes them search for a faith - I dont have that and I am happy just to be me and do my own thing and not to haveany meaning whatsoever

oh and I am moral and law abiding. not having a faith does not automatically mean you will be immoral you know. I just dont believe I need a stick and a promise of punishment to do the right thing - I am big enough to do the right thing solely because I know it is the right thing and no because of some imagined hell or heaven

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

As annee said, its going off topic for this thread. We should respect the OP in that regard.

If you want to start a thread titled something like "why explore beyond my own beliefs?" then i encourage you to do so. id probably jump in as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by sinohptik

As this is a thread regarding arguments for God, I welcome any opinion or argument regarding the reason to believe in "GOD" or any deity, or reason not to.

@megabyte.

I agree with a lot of what you have say although i have to remain skeptical in regards to your Annunaki position, yet willing to entertain the idea/possibility. However, this does't seem to answer the "GOD" question,because who or what created the Annunaki?

It doesn't answer the universal queries we have - just that another evolved race may gain the ability to artificially create life and let the evolutionary course take it's path.

At the moment, humans are agnostic in regards to the universe, we don't even know if reality is infinite, that no God is required, besides, the divine causation arguments has the infinite implication of creation; who created the creator, who created this creator and so on. It's an "infinite" regression.

I'm not saying the universe is infinite, i couldn't claim to such truths without evidence.

What observation i find interesting is that there are some who can possitively assert "GOD" without defining God, or even worse, defining God with emotions, desires, commands etc. This is a conjuring trick. Anyone can make their own God up, and potentially gain some followers.
edit on 29/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

My apologies for speaking for you

But really, i was using it as an excuse to not continue to state my beliefs over and over again
I am more interested in someone elses perspective than actually arguing the validity of it (their perspective), this is not reciprocal. But thats ok, i get caught up in it sometimes too

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
reply to post by Annee

Atheists just seem to be looking for any excuse to act foolheartedly.
Again, lacking acknowledgment of his or her own actions and any repercussions.

I am not getting into this arguement again.

I dont buy into 'atheism'.
Just another way to do anything they want without feeling guilty.

Saying that all atheists act "foolheartedly" and want to "do anything they want without feeling guilty" is a gross generalization (just like all white men can't jump...well, I can't, but you get the point).

I'm not even sure why or how you originally arrived at that conclusion in your mind.

Anyhow, I'm an agnostic and feel I must kindly defend...I don't act "foolheartedly", and if I ever do, it's not intentional. Also, if these "foolhearted" acts wind up hurting anyone in any form or fashion, I do indeed feel guilty and own up to it.

Just because someone lacks belief in a higher power doesn't mean he or she is or desires to be a bad person linving free of consequence.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by awake_and_aware

As this is a thread regarding arguments for God, I welcome any opinion or argument regarding the reason to believe in "GOD" or any deity, or reason not to.

@megabyte.

I agree with a lot of what you have say although i have to remain skeptical in regards to your Annunaki position, yet willing to entertain the idea/possibility. However, this does't seem to answer the "GOD" question,because who or what created the Annunaki?

It doesn't answer the universal queries we have - just that another evolved race may gain the ability to artificially create life and let the evolutionary course take it's path.

At the moment, humans are agnostic in regards to the universe, we don't even know if reality is infinite, that no God is required, besides, the divine causation arguments has the infinite implication of creation; who created the creator, who created this creator and so on. It's an "infinite" regression.

I'm not saying the universe is infinite, i couldn't claim to such truths without evidence.

What observation i find interesting is that there are some who can possitively assert "GOD" without defining God, or even worse, defining God with emotions, desires, commands etc. This is a conjuring trick. Anyone can make their own God up, and potentially gain some followers

Thank you. I did take this into consideration.

I just had a bit of a concern - - in regards to a one on one with another poster in what seemed like a one on one discussion - - rather then discussing the whole concept of what "GOD" is or isn't.

Understand - MY Concern. I don't want any impropriety attached to the other poster.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, i'm willing to entertain possibilities of any theory, just i need evidence before asserting a belief. I'm never arrogant enough to say "GOD does not exist" or "infinity is impossible" - I can't be definitive without irrefutable evidence. I prefer the "I don't know" approach; it's humble and politely honest.

Atheism is a lack of belief, it's not a claim to the non-existence of God. I'm agnostic and therefore against any Theism, this is why i lack the belief in any "theory" of a Deity.
edit on 30/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join