It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism Non Muslims UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   
An overdraft? That'll be £200 at Lloyds TSB (but only £15 if you're a Muslim)

Many Lloyds TSB customers are being hit with charges of up to £200 a month if they go into the red - while Muslims who use the bank are only being charged £15.

The part-nationalised bank has been accused of religious discrimination over the disparity between overdraft charges on its standard current account and its Islamic account.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

When is this madness going to end!!?
edit on 28-12-2010 by Haydn_17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

'All of our Islamic accounts comply with Islamic law and are available to anyone regardless of background or faith.

Everyone can have this account irregardless of their faith. There is no discrimination here.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

HOLY CRAP!!

Your telling me this is fine, oh there muslims its ok.

Tell me, if muslims where being charged 200 and christians 15, what would happen then?

Its discrimination.

Just because they are muslims they get charged less, this is the year 2010, not 2000BC
edit on 28-12-2010 by Haydn_17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I cant see the racism. This account is available to anyone, you dont have to be muslim to get it, just agree to the terms of not having an overdraft. If your really upset about it, change your bank. The Daily Mail will always report the facts to make it look racist, when a deeper understanding reveals there is no racism going on. The account is open to all religions. Once again Haydn, I see you getting whipped up by the Daily Mail. No wonder your a member of the EDL

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by Maslo

HOLY CRAP!!

Your telling me this is fine, oh there muslims its ok.

Tell me, if muslims where being charged 200 and christians 15, what would happen then?

Its f***** discrimination.

Just because they are f***** muslims they get charged less, this is the year 2010, not 2000BC

It is an account based on Islamic law (no interest and who knows what else). It is not an account only for muslims, everyone can have it, including christians. The bank can charge for different products whatever it wants. I really dont see any discrimination here.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well for a start there are many Muslims that are native Britons (If you are using the word to mean people that were born in Britain that is)

I would however question the bank calling it a "Muslim" account to start with, it may be open to anyone but I can't imagine that many committed Jewish / Christian people would open one if only because of the name. Why they don't just call it a "no interest" account I don't know, it would save them from charges of discrimination

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Since when is putting a Religion above another is not a form of discrimination.

The bank made a statement that they are creating accounts for muslims so they can have a bank account and still abide to sharia law (where apparently its against gods will to be charged interest) how handy!

Why would i want to open an Islamic Bank account? Why should i have to do that to be treated fairly?

But you would have your opinion, you are a Marx Anarchist afterall

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

If a bank opened special Christmas account (but still offered it to anyone regardless of religion), would it also be religious discrimination?
If the "discrimination" is only in the account name referencing something from religion, I dont see a problem.
edit on 28/12/10 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I agree with you

This offer is available for everyone, not just Muslim.

It is called Muslim account, to attract Muslim customers, hence Muslim tend to not join banks which charge interest, as interest is haram.

This is business as usual.

(IMO) Maslo, you should let the OP calm down, as he is emotional for some reason. When logic hits, he will realize it is not discrimination.

Thanks for your clarification.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
reply to post by woodwardjnr

But you would have your opinion, you are a Marx Anarchist afterall

Thanks for the compliment, and in Marx's terms you my friend are the Lumpen Proletetariat.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
that's crazy,

i'd like to open an account.

yes sir, would you like the one that charges you $15 or $200 for overdraft?

everyone should either move their money into the special acct or take it to another bank.

are they even aware of this? (the other bank customers)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
everyone should either move their money into the special acct or take it to another bank.

Why? It's not a good deal unless you are constantly overdrawn. Although there is no interest charged on this "management fee" you also don't accrue interest on the amount you hold in your account; most people with this type account will be losing out.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Following the guidance of Islam is an important part of everyday life. So we've made it an important part of everyday banking.

www.lloydstsb.com...
www.lloydstsb.com...

It is more than simply the accounts name, the bank has a Shariah committee to ensure all of their services to the Islamic community (Personal, Student, Business, New Home Finance) are Shariah compliant.

Those accounts are wrapped up in a single faith as the bank makes the "promise that your money is managed in a way that reflects your faith."

Using certain words/premises does put other people off.. tho non Muslims might be able to apply, most won't due to this being a religious account structure for Muslims.

I personal don't care about the actual accounts, tho it does show up the scummy approach by the banking system and what a bunch of tossers they are

But most importantly to me it show up the divisions that are occurring within our society, and that the establishment are continuing to drive a wedge between communities with the perception that one segment of our community are getting unfair advantage over the rest due to their religion beliefs.

Sorry to say this, but at this rate it will not end well for everyone.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I saw this account advertised while walking past the main Lloyds in Leeds city centre, My first though was "Since when did muslims get segregated accounts to rest of us?"
The name of the account gives the first impression that only muslims needs apply - Which does have a racist undertone to it. As one poster above me said, why couldnt the name of the account be something different, such as "Interest free"
But the truth is simple - Muslims, of asian origen especialy - Make decent wages. In general, its very rare to come across a poor muslim family. The banks know this and are simply making up a gimick in order to attract busssiness. Think about it, If your bank cares about your faith, then you might be more willing to take out a mortgage from them? Its bussiness as usual.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
It's called Halal Banking, and it is pretty common I think. There is even the Islamic Bank of Britain which only does banking according to Qard:

A Qard is a loan, free of profit. We use this arrangement for our Current Accounts. In essence, it means that your Current Account is a loan to the bank, which is used by the bank for investment and other purposes. Obviously it has to be paid back to you, in full, on demand.

It's not discrimination either, since anyone can apply for an account with the IBB or Lloyds TSB regardless of your faith.

I didn't actually think it was possible for EDL members to read the Daily Mail, let alone understand all of the complicated words in it, next time, stick to the Sun, it's easier for you and your ilk to understand and has boobies.

edit on 28-12-2010 by recreateaplace because: Lloyds TSB even

top topics

join