It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Right, just change the subject again and back away slowly from the thread.

It's a historical fact that when the Catholics took over Ireland, they tortured and killed native "pagans." Deal with it.

And no, once again, I don't suppose you could prove that Muslims ever massacred Celts because I don't expect to see any historical account of Muslims attacking Ireland. You my friend seem to have a dark obsession with Islam. What have Muslims ever done to you personally? I have been harassed by evangelical Christians; I have never been harassed by any Muslims. The only Muslim I even know in this area, is a lady that accepts donations at a local Christian homeless shelter.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Mark 10:25
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Now what would be the most powerful and wealthiest organization on the face of the earth for the past 1800 years?
Easy, the Catholic Church.

Not only are they hypocrites, but they have used the word of God to kill, rape, and pillage for as long as they've been in power... The most corrupted organization ever.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tobyxero
Mark 10:25
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Now what would be the most powerful and wealthiest organization on the face of the earth for the past 1800 years?

Not only are they hypocrites, but they have used the word of God to kill, rape, and pillage for as long as they've been in power... The most corrupted organization ever.

You're so right with what you're saying, l really don't know what to add.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
So there are a few things here. Regarding your statements above, I'm not sure what you think Catholics are attributing to Statues of Mary that belong to God.

What is it you do not understand? Do you not know what "graven image" means? Or do you not understand the commandment ordering you not to make them just in case you get the urge to start praying to them? Help me figure out where I lost you.

Also, where does the false witness come in? I'm not catching the correlation.

It is related to the claims being made that Catholics do not pray to nor worship Mary. You can apply it where you see fit.

I understand your difference of opinion of what praying entails.

Really? I do not. I did not know there was a difference of opinion on that?

I think that the crux of the matter may lay in the nomenclature. Catholics use the term 'pray' to refer to both an active form of worship of God and also as a means of communication with those not here who are part of the mystic body of the church, such as the communion of the saints. Praying (to Catholics) can mean both communication and worship. One is reserved for God alone, the other is not.

Yes yes, word parsing is something Catholics are amazing at. Check your bible, find the above justification for praying to statues of Mary in the bible and get back to me. Why do you feel Catholics can alter the bible and make their own rules while not falling out of God's favor? Really now? See where that false witness comes in yet?

To a Catholic saying 'I asked St. Peter to pray for my soul today' can be equally expressed as 'I prayed to St. Peter today' and neither implies worship.

Eric

Like I said, you pray to statues of Mary. That is a no no according to my bible. I would like to see yours. Call it worship, do not call it worship. That will be between you and your god when he wants to know why you prayed to statues of a woman.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
Was I one of those people? I certainly hope not, as I never received my official 'Rep of the Catholic Church' id badge. Maybe it's in the mail.

I never used the word "official" so why would you lie and say that I did? Anyone representing the church would be a representative of the church. These are not official titles here.

If I was one of the two, did I also lie or insult you? If so, can you point out where that was?

Guilty conscience? 3 different posters jumped all over my responses but if you feel bad about something, perhaps you should go to confession.

Thanks!

Eric

Edit: Did my font size just shrink? Strange.
edit on 30-12-2010 by EricD because: question about font size

Your welcome. Now, how about the topic of this thread, huh? Seen it?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by csimon
I didn't call you or anyone ignorant, but if the shoe fits ...

No, of course you did not say exactly that, did you? You guys are big on the word parsing eh?

Look, I'm sorry that you don't understand that I do not pray to Mary and that is not what the Catholic church teaches. Research Catholoc apologetics and learn for yourself.

I understand quite well. You are simply lying. You do indeed pray to Mary. You even confirmed that. By your own words, it is an address to Mary to ask Mary to do you a favor. I thought you might try to explain how that is not a prayer to Mary instead of just denying it but I should have known better.

How about you? Seen the topic of this thread?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
You've been going on for the past few pages about how Catholics worship Mary, and then claim that my post is a lie? Man, I don't know about you.

I am afraid that either lying or being incorrect is a habbit you will have to break. I made one post about it and 3 different posters jumped on me about it for pages. I defended myself for about a page. You are ALL STILL GOING on about it. You wrote like 4 posts in a row yourself before I responded once. I cannot even take you seriously.

Your claim has been that Catholics worship Mary and that is a lie, they do not. It's very simple. I could say that you were misinformed, however, you have no desire to learn the truth, you want to continue believing the stories you've read online. To each their own.

See, what is that? You tell me what I want to do or know? You claim I get this from reading online? What part of raised Catholic or ex-Catholic confuses you?

I meant to say that I hope one day you will be inspired to look into this issue further, it was a hope nothing more nothing less.

There is nothing honest about this post at all and if you are going to argue in favor of a church with lies, I am not too interested. Let one of your friends give it a shot.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
reply to post by kinda kurious

Relax, It was just a little humor to lighten things up a bit. We all have problems and we all suffer, but to go as far as blaming the Church is just down right ludicrous. Dont you think?

Nice. Poke someone in the eye and then tell them a joke. Granted we may all have problems but the ones INFLICTED by the Catholic Church are germane to this thread as per your query.

I doubt any of these folks would appreciate your levity:
Priest Abuse Survivor's Stories

I suppose "Turning the other cheek" means something different in your faith.

As another poster has already pointed out, you seem to be seeking validation for your beliefs and continue to attempt to impart your misguided devotion to an evil empire on the rest of us.

edit on 31-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The Roman Catholic Church was a political mess concocted by the Roman emperor Flavius Valerius Aurelius Constantinus. It had nothing to do with Christianity. It was a merge of the pagan doctrines and philosophies of the Roman empire into the Bible. Hence why you have saints, idol worship, Christmas (Saturnalia), etc.

The whole Council of Nicaea that the Catholic Church was founded on was spearheaded by the non-Christian hierarchy of the Roman empire in order to use the power of the Christian faith for political policy. More than half of the doctrines approved at that council where steeped in paganism and not even based on the Bible by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, nearly 99% of all Christian faiths use the Catholic doctrine created at that blasphemous Council of Nicaea.

As the Vatican gets liquidated by the UN this year, and all its assets turned over to it, you'll be seeing another sudo-religious movement created so that you can worship your own government more blatantly. All the Catholic Church has ever been is a political funnel for the worship of what ever country your in. That's why the Catholic Church was telling the Hitler youth to die for God. The same Catholic Church instigated the same prayers in America, England and France.

edit on 31-12-2010 by CodeRed3D because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CodeRed3D

The question is not what the Catholic church has done to me, but rather what has it done for itself?

A carful examination of the answer to that question is all one needs if they truly want to see.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldConfusedFart
reply to post by oliveoil

Funny thing about being a Catholic. We are all supposed to strive to acheive the Sacraments as a testimoney of our faith and belief in the Church. When I married a non Catholic and did not try to convert her I was determined to be no longer worthy of my faith by our local parish priest. Even to the point of being denied Communion at my own mother's funeral.

What do I have against the Catholic Church? Try hipocracy my gay brother is still in good standing with the Church while I am not? Go figure? What is the lesson, read the Bible and make your own choices on how to live as a Christian and do not depend on anyone else or any church to tell you what faith in God is meant to be.

To your first point, I married a non Catholic non Christian we were not married in the Church we just went into the priests office he did a little marriage type of thing/prayer had my hubby sign a paper that said I still intended on practicing my faith and that was that, I was in communion with the Church. So, I'm not sure of your situation, because my was really painless.

As to your gay brother still being in communion, my guess is that they are unaware that he is a practicing homosexual. Being homosexual in and of itself is not necessarily a sin, it is the indulgence in the behavior and the adultery (premarital sex). The point exists that homosexuals can not be married (at least not to someone of the same gender) and therefore are supposed to be celibate.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tobyxero

Can you offer some substantiation for that claim please? Do you mean the wealthiest NOW or do you mean over the course of the past 1800 years? If you mean over the course of the past 1800 years I don't think you would get much of an argument as there aren't many organizations that have been around that long.

Eric

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
My beef is the Canadian Residential School system and the genocide of my ancestors and other North American first-peoples by the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches.

Indian Residential School Survivor Society

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

Would it be safe to say that the actual act of reciting the 'Hail Mary' is not a problem for you as we have already discussed how it is clearly asking Mary to pray for you and not an entreaty for her to do anything that is reserved to God?

It would then seem that your problem is with the kneeling and the 'graven image'. Would that be accurate?

Are you implying that those that say that Catholics do not worship Mary are bearing false witness?

You accuse me of parsing words when discussing the definition of 'pray' when I actually quoted the dictionary in a later post. To pray comes from 'to beseech, to ask, to beg' and originally (and for some, currently) did not have an intrinsic link to the Divine. How you're not getting that, I don't know. You might want to be careful about throwing that 'false witness' claim around.

Do you feel that it's at all ironic to accuse me of believing that Catholics can alter the Bible ('Why do you feel Catholics can alter the bible and make their own rules while not falling out of God's favor?') when I never said any such thing when discussing the bearing of false witness?

Lastly, Catholics do not pray to a statue. They do pray (as in 'beseech' or communicate with) to Mary. The statue is there as a means to focus attention or as a reminder, similar to how you might call your daughter when looking at a photo of her. And the likelihood of you thinking you are calling the two dimensional photo instead of the person is about as great as a Catholic thinking that they are communicating with a hunk of stone.

Eric

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinnthia

I never used the word "official" so why would you lie and say that I did?

I never said you did claim it was official, so why would you lie and make that claim?

You may want to be careful about bearing false witness.

Eric

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I can tell you how it feels to escape. It feels like the world is over and there is no sweeter satisfaction.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I'm really tired of the same statement over and over. The Catholic Church never Killed anyone!!!
If you are going to make such a ridiculous comment please indicate who exactly did the killing. Was it the Pope? a bishop, a priest, a deacon, a nun, an alter boy, or the little old lady praying in the third pew. Please give me just one name.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one.

Pope Urban II called for the first crusade. There is the one name that you requested.

edit: Oh, you wanted to know by whose hand the killings took place. Well,

Richard Leonhardt of England
Baldwin of Jerusalem
Bohemond of Antioch
Philip II France
Frederick Barbarossa of Rome

As for murders committed by the members of the Church and not just agents of the Pope;
Pope Benedict IX, accused of murders, rapes, and known to have sold the papacy.

et cetera
edit on 31-12-2010 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-12-2010 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

No sir, you are speaking about the Holy Roman Empire and the Franks, NOT the Catholic church. The pope may have given his blessings ,much like the Pope today gives the US his blessings when we attack a anti christian nation, however that's where it ends

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Your examples are very weak, hearsay. Nothing more nothing less

Anyone can do a quick search on wiki and see right though your claim

edit on 31-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join