It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Aspirin help to kill 100 + million people??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Thank you for your reply, It seems we are on the same page. Even if natural medicines were Placebos (which most are not) Then they are still getting the job done with out the need for nasty side effects. I believe the human mind has the ability to kill off a lot of diseases by its self, if some need a placebo to trick it into thinking the body is getting better then that is fine. We need to stop popping pills and let our own natural defence be used, thus making it stronger. Take Care Regards

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
This has become a very interesting thread. It brings to mind the abuses of antibiotics that have inadvertently created super-bugs that are immune to most avaliable medicines.

The inappropriate use of something as common as asprin should (and has) be illustrated as well. We need to trust our bodies more. I'm no huge fan of homeopathic cures though friends that I have swear by poultices.

Asprin, like any other "drug" should be treated with the same care that someone would use with morphine or antibiotics.

Just a humble opinion. . . .

Thanks for your post, I agree with you. People are too fast nowadays to just pop a pill. Its not their fault really its the whole system. Doctors are too quick to prescribe Antibiotics and such like and The likes of Aspirin and other over the counter drugs are as readily available as sweets. So it is no wonder some people consume these drugs as such. The slightest bit of a head ache (probably caused by dehydration ) and there goes another pill.
The age of quick fixes and no real long term solutions....Hmm draws a parallel with the banking crisis but that is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic.
Ok take care Regards

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

you'd prolly preciate this info seems I remember 1 drop of pure 100% unadulterated wintergreen E.O is = to 1 adult aspirin (even from a drop on the finger) and read about a 24yo marathon runner croaking from IcyHot(think contains 20%) overdose

1 teaspoon (5 mL) of wintergreen oil is equivalent to approximately 7000 mg of salicylate or 21.5 adult aspirin tablets.www.drugs.com...

The native Americans used wintergreen to treat all kinds of musculo-skeletal problems. It seems arthritis was common among them. They searched the field and forest for plants that could improve a sore neck or twisted up hand. They found that wintergreen, ground up and poulticed, would take the swelling and pain down from a joint or muscle. It could be used internally as a tea to speed the process on along. To the Native Americans wintergreen was tops when it came to inflammation. www.planetbotanic.ca...

The Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics Data System An experiment is described that is suitable for the early portion of the laboratory in a general chemistry course and integrates organic examples. It is the two-step synthesis of aspirin starting from oil of wintergreen.
adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

I couldn't agree more. The mind is a tricky thing so sometimes needs to be tricked in order to work its magic. I believe in natural medicines 100 %. I also believe that studies need to be done using only natural medicines to discover their full potential. In Latin America we use it for everything and for example, my auntie is 101 years old, never takes aspirin or any other medicine like that, loves to eat natural things no processed foods and she’s a big fan of natural medicine. Look at the Japanese as well, even though not followed by the younger generations, the elderly live until very old and with very good health as a result of their eating habits and knowledge of natural remedies. We seem to forget that we are part of nature, instead of destroying it we should learn how to nourish it and benefit from it.
In Japan’s case it’s sad to see that the younger people are forgetting their heritage of natural wisdom and embracing habits from less healthy cultures, when I say this I’m referring to eating habits and the way they fight diseases, all the time feeding the body things they have no idea what could be doing to them.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
As others have already said, Aspirin has many life-saving benefits, but as with ANY drug, it also has the potential for harm.

This is where being educated about what you put into your body becomes important, and a little common sense.

It is a well known fact here in the states that you DO NOT give your child aspirin if they have any flu-like symptoms, becuase of the potential for reyes-syndrome.

Reye's syndrome is a rare but serious condition that causes swelling in the liver and brain. Reye's syndrome most often affects children and teenagers recovering from a viral infection and who may also have a metabolic disorder. Signs and symptoms such as confusion, seizures and loss of consciousness require emergency treatment. Early diagnosis and treatment of Reye's syndrome can save a child's life.

Aspirin has been linked with Reye's syndrome, so use caution when giving aspirin to children or teenagers. Though aspirin is approved for use in children older than age 2, children and teenagers recovering from chickenpox or flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.

LINK

It is acutally discouraged to give aspirin to kids or teens that may have any kind of viral infection, inlcuding flu or chicken pox. It doesn't seem to be understood WHY it might be linked to it....that alone should raise all sorts of questions. I think common sense dictates that if it can cause it in kids and teens and they don't know why, than adults should be cautious also!!!!

Someone mentioned tylenol instead. Well, sure. It is also good at dropping a temp and relieving pain. What most don't understand though is the link between tylenol and childhood asthma.

Researchers have linked the use of the painkiller acetaminophen (Tylenol) to both asthma and rhinitis. Individuals who used acetaminophen on a daily or weekly basis were shown to exhibit far more severe symptoms of asthma and rhinitis than those who didn't use the drug. (Thorax 00;55(4):266-70)

LINK

I first heard of this several years ago. My daughter developed asthma as a very young child, and my drug of choice for ever since birth was that darn liquid tylenol. Her asthma only flares up when she gets sick. What did I use to give her when she was sick? Tylenol. I stopped as soon as I found out and give her advil instead, if she absolutely has to have something. We noticed right away that it makes a difference. If she takes tylenol, her asthma gets worse. Every one should be educated on this, but most are clueless!!!

BOTTOM LINE: EVERY drug out there has benefit vs. risk. Do not be so quick to put these synthetic medications into your or your childrens body with knowing what they are!! Do not be so quick to turn away from the natural, healthy way to allow your body to work. Obviously, if you have an illness or disease that will benefit from one of these drugs, than take it! If you are not sure, or you could get away with just going to bed and drinking a ton of fluids and taking some vitamins...than do that instead.
edit on 1-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you so much for your enlightening post and the links contained within. You stated that it is a well known fact not to give Aspirin for flu like symptoms. Is it really that well known and common knowledge? Or is it only people like yourself who have researched the information that know? Just curious because here in the Uk I do not remember any advise ever being given about not taking Aspirin.
Thank you again for the links, Take Care Regards

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

You're welcome....I work in an ER (EMT) and am a parent, so yes, I have educated myself but I am always amazed at how little most people know about the different meds and the potential risk vs. benefit. It seems to me that my generation (30-50 years old) puts wayyyyy too much faith in just taking something because it's what everyone else does. Because the commercial said to. Because they didn't ask the doctor WHY they need to take it and the doctor didn't feel the need (or the desire) to tell them....they are just doing it.

I intentionally said here in the US, because I know labeling is different in other countries. Here in the US anything containing aspirin has to have a warning label on it about reye's syndrome. I know not everyone reads it.

Hope the info helps.
edit on 1-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join