It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crusading in the name of Darwin

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

As I explained in the linked posts, Hinduism and Buddhism are not really theistic religions. What, exactly, do you think 'theistic' means?

As for numbers, it seems that statistics vary based on their source. Who knew!

bzzt! wrong answer...

maybe some of your friends can help you here ? or I would research the two faiths you call into question a little better.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Well O mighty judge, why don't you explain to me how Buddhism is theistic, and tell this poor deluded soul what theism means?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Well O mighty judge, why don't you explain to me how Buddhism is theistic, and tell this poor deluded soul what theism means?

because they are more enlightened than the Atheists and get along just fine with the Theists

they play it smart kinda like Einstein...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Buddhists deny the existence of a creator god, but you say that they believe in a creator god because they aren't aggressive towards Christians?

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
and the Hindu's are theistic yes... poly-theistic but still theistic non the less

ever hear of Shiva ?

and a little more hint on Buddhism here...

"The Western Buddhist Order - or Trailokya Bauddha Mahasangha as it is known in the East - is an Order or Nikaya of the world-wide community of Buddhists. It thus belongs, incidentally, to what is reputed to be the fastest-growing religion in the West. Buddhism is even becoming a bit fashionable, with the film star Richard Gere being almost as well known as a Buddhist nowadays as the Dalai Lama.

The question is sometimes asked: Is Buddhism really a religion? Actually, some people prefer not to call Buddhism a religion at all. Others call it a non-theistic religion, since it does not concern itself primarily with the personal-creator God of the theistic religions. To help allay such questions and doubts, it is perhaps best to reflect upon the term by which the teaching of the Buddha is known in the East: Buddha-dharma, which means the truth seen and experienced by the Buddha, the Enlightened one. "

I wonder who is that Dali Lama guy... possibly a reincarnated being ? (a living deity)

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
yes let us not confuse Creationist with everyone now but let us define our terms of Theism more broadly...

Theism: belief in the existence of a god or gods.

hence his High Holiness the Dalai Lama...

everyone want to be different but "believing" in his holiness is Theism when ya get down to it.

all the undecideds in that pie-graph usually end up leaning toward the religion that they are born in via their culture.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Actually, half of the global population is atheistic

now can we dispute you hypothetical claim that 50% of the population are Atheist ?

it could be in your neck of the woods or in ones own mind....

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Nontheism in Buddhism

The refutation[1] of the notion of a supreme God or a prime mover is seen as a key distinction between Buddhism and other views. Hence, Buddhism is often aptly described as a "spiritual philosophy" whose sole aim is the complete alleviation of stress in samsara,[2][3] called nirvana. The Buddha explicitly rejects a creator,[4] denies endorsing any views on creation[5] and states that questions on the origin of the world are worthless. . . Buddhists accept the existence of beings in higher realms (see Buddhist cosmology), known as devas, but they, like humans, are said to be suffering in samsara,[17] and not particularly wiser than us. In fact the Buddha is often portrayed as a teacher of the gods,[18] and superior to them.

If you are trying to say that a religion whose founder explicitly denies the existence of deities is a theistic religion then you are saying a falsehood. There is no way for you to distort Buddhist beliefs to portray it as a theistic religion.

As I explained in the linked post from your abandoned thread, Hinduism is not really polytheism. The Upanishads, the last books of the Vedic scriptures, describe the Brahman as the ultimate ground of all reality. As with Buddhism, the deities in Hinduism are extensions of the Brahman, just as human beings are. Hinduism is more pantheist than polytheist; all things are in and of the divine.

Pantheists thus do not believe in a personal, anthropomorphic or creator god. . . It is generally asserted that Hindu religious texts are the oldest known literature that contains Pantheistic ideas.[18] In Hindu theology, Brahman is the unchanging, infinite, immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all things in this Universe, and is also the sum total of all that ever is, was, or ever shall be. This idea of pantheism is traceable from some of the more ancient Vedas and Upanishads to later Advaita philosophy. All Mahāvākyas (Great Sayings) of the Upanishads, in one way or another, seem to indicate the unity of the world with the Brahman. It further says “This whole universe is Brahman, from Brahman to a clod of earth.

If you are trying to make some sort of argument for a being that is superior to, separate from, and the creator of Man and the World, then you are not going to find it in Buddhism or Hinduism.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
in fact no matter which religion the Atheists try to Steal or latch themselves onto, there is only one observable truth to their existence...

the Atheists fall into a small category of predominately Caucasian, English speaking, spoiled Kids, alot of them having chicken bones stuffed through their noses and they have lead such a laxed lifestyle compared to the rest of the planet they have become so enlightened that they develop a God complex all of their own

the Agnostics don't want them, nor do alot of the other respected faiths and Belief systems out there, Atheists are so ignorant one can only hope that thru science they may be able to better grasp the greater meaning of it all...

and did I mention they are Thieves ?

see Sig below...
edit on 12/24/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Even if we use the statistics that you favour, we can see that

14% Hindu
+
6% Buddhist
+
6% Chinese traditional (Confucian, Taoist)
+
6% primal-indigenous (i.e. voodoo, fetish cults, animism)
+
8% nonreligious (half of the nonreligious listed in the pie chart are theistic)
=
40% of the world population belongs to atheistic or pantheistic religions.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Goodness you have a real bone to pick with atheist. What did they do come to your house one day and preach to you about how men came from monkeys? I admit hardcore atheist can be annoying but if had to spend a long bus trip sitting next to a hardcore atheist or a hardcore fundie. I would pick the hardcore atheist at least we could talk about science.
edit on 24-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am an

Atheistic-Buddhist, no no... delete, delete

Agnostic-Atheist, no no... delete, delete

Atheistic-Gnostic, no no... delete, delete

Spoiled-Brat, Bingo !

Gawd Atheists are so Odious

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

So you admit that you have no interest in discussion and debate and you just came here to troll atheists. Beautiful.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Well if you got such a problem go to a church or someplace where you can discuss creationism and how wonderful it is or find some creationist forum on some other website where you and your non atheist brevern can spend all of your time discussing the vile evils of atheism.
I fail to see the point in any of your posts short of just trolling for the creationist LOLZ

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

we do... and I personally do not like Atheists just as much as they dislike 'mainly' Christianity (that which built this nation and provided us the freedom of speech we are allowed to express here) Do most of you seriously believe half of the conversations that have taken place here on ATS would be allowed to be hosted in China or any Arabic counrty ? let alone even Britain with their Hate speech laws ? Atheism is the scourge which is attacking freedom of thought and expression, everything that I and my country stand for.

Yes I dislike Atheists as I am allowed to express, I am sorry it goes against others grain but I feel these kids need to be brought up to speed... The majority of these said self-proclaimed Atheists happen to be British and Canadian, I have been on the internet long enough to have figured this out. Mostly this is because of the Church state Britain has experienced in their past living under the popes rule and for Canadians it is just plain jealousy besides them being mostly of French decent.

I am a Caucasian male disgusted... and at any rate I am doing my part... We will be taking over from here...

"Thank you, Merry Christmas and God Bless to you all"

this big dog will bite if you rattle his cage !!!

edit on 12/24/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Oh about this whole Christian nation thing lets clear that up

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries. -Treaty of Tripoli

en.wikipedia.org...

Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth.
-- Thomas Jefferson,

www.positiveatheism.org...

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."

Benjamin Franklin

articles.exchristian.net...

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. [Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]

atheism.about.com...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps they were trying to keep this country from being a theocracy

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Kailassa

Telling me I had a bone through the nose was a direct racial insult, making your claim to not be a racist a lie.
Kafir is a particularly insulting name for atheists, making your claim to be a nice person who is being bullied a lie.

I never insulted you... if you associate yourself with this group so be it, I would love to see my snippet and a link to the post where and in which I said this to you.
I directed my comment to to a group of individuals as Islamic and Christian and Judaism see and refer to them as.

You have purposefully chosen the most insulting name you can find for atheists.
You are obviously only pretending to be a Christian.
"By their fruit you may know them." Your fruit is that of a bitter, spiteful child, wanting to lash out at strangers and cause pain, but frustrated because your words are impotent, and evince naught but piteous contempt.

And your post is just one more of your many lies.

reply to post by Kailassa

A teenager from the Kafir UK society, possibly has bone in nose and tramp-stamp, not even old enough to buy alcohol or get into a club.
This is what I can ascertain about you reading maybe 4 to 8 of your posts...

You have the cheek to say now this was addressed to atheists in general, not to me. What a foolish fount of maloderous mendacity that can so easily be disproven.

At least I'm in good company.You've also lied about atheists in general and about Darwin.
Madness has thoroughly proven that Darwin was not a racist, but you, true to form, stay blind to all evidence and keep pushing your fabrications.

Darwin is no more responsible for social Darwinism, which was carried out by Christians long after his death, than Newton is responsible for the deaths of those pushed off high places.

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ELahrairah

Granted, God is not mentioned in the Constitution, but He is mentioned in every major document leading up to the final wording of the Constitution. For example, Connecticut is still known as the "Constitution State" because its colonial constitution was used as a model for the United States Constitution. Its first words were: "For as much as it has pleased the almighty God by the wise disposition of His Divine Providence…"

Most of the fifty-five Founding Fathers who worked on the Constitution were members of orthodox Christian churches and many were even evangelical Christians. The first official act in the First Continental Congress was to open in Christian prayer, which ended in these words: "...the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son, our Savior. Amen". Sounds Christian to me
Ben Franklin, at the Constitutional Convention, said: "...God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?".

so it would seem Ben was not an Atheist as would love to be stolen by the Atheists.

the principles that sailed over here and away from the British empire were indeed Christian and thanks to the Protestant Reformation and William Tyndale, we have established our own Justice here in the United States.

www.afn.org...

If anyone is seriously taking Wiki now a days as the first and final word they are sadly mistaken.

The principles themselves were indeed inspired by the Word of God, we know where we come from and that is all that really matters.

watch closely and learn a little about true and non-fabricated History...

Wiki is not changing our history, and has been, and currently is being discredited to the core

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

No Ben Franklin was most likely a deist and he had a great mind which I admire. I imagine however
he would have no issue with atheist agnostics deists and other religions as long as they did not interfere with the free expression of the human being. I am sure that he would find Charles Darwins ideas most fascinating since he was of a scientific mind.
As for his long time friend Thomas Jefferson the debate is still up on weather or not he was an deist or an atheist.
Most of the founders were Deist which is not traditional christianity.

Deism (pronounced /ˈdiːɪzəm/, US dict: dē′·ĭzm)[1][2] in the philosophy of religion is the standpoint that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that a supreme being created the universe. Further the term often implies that this supreme being does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not to be altered by intervention in the affairs of human life. Deists believe in the existence of God, in a secular sense, without any reliance on revealed religion, religious authority or holy books.

en.wikipedia.org...

thank Jimmy Wales and wikiepedia

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

we do... and I personally do not like Atheists just as much as they dislike 'mainly' Christianity (that which built this nation and provided us the freedom of speech we are allowed to express here) Do most of you seriously believe half of the conversations that have taken place here on ATS would be allowed to be hosted in China or any Arabic counrty ? let alone even Britain with their Hate speech laws ? Atheism is the scourge which is attacking freedom of thought and expression, everything that I and my country stand for.

Yes I dislike Atheists as I am allowed to express, I am sorry it goes against others grain but I feel these kids need to be brought up to speed... The majority of these said self-proclaimed Atheists happen to be British and Canadian, I have been on the internet long enough to have figured this out. Mostly this is because of the Church state Britain has experienced in their past living under the popes rule and for Canadians it is just plain jealousy besides them being mostly of French decent.

I am a Caucasian male disgusted... and at any rate I am doing my part... We will be taking over from here...

Ha! Nice! This, sir, is what's called "epic fail". You just proved that you're nothing more than an old bigoted white guy who has some kind of irrational bone to pick with people who he perceives to be atheists, whether they are or not. Go back to sitting on your front porch, with your shorts pulled up to your nipples while wearing black socks with sandals, and complaining about those damn kids on your front lawn. The rest of the world has already passed you by on an intellectual level and will do so soon on a temporal level as well.

this big dog will bite if you rattle his cage !!!

Hard to bite when you have no teeth. And remember what happens to old dogs when they start biting at everything in sight because their vision has gone? They get put down.

In light of this post, you have two options. You can man up to having acted in a less than honest fashion and having an agenda that's no less Machiavellian than the one you've been trying to lay on "atheists" and "evolutionists" in all of your recent threads and posts and try to move on. Or you can be known as the little toothless troll you are, never to be taken seriously on these forums again. Are you a big enough person to own up to what you've just admitted do?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join