It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Abu Dhabi, Christmas Comes Decked With Gold and Gems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Wow! Certainly an amazing sight! I'm sure the hotel's clientele (primarily foreign guests) appreciate the extravagance, it is after all, the name of the game in Abu Dhabi. The hotel may later contact Guinness World Records for a possible bid as the world's most expensive Christmas tree, and why not? $11 Million is pretty expensive...

When they deck the halls in opulent Abu Dhabi, it comes with gold ornaments and gem-studded bows on a towering Christmas tree. The $11 million symbol of the season has become the latest extravagance at the Emirates Palace hotel, which boasts its own marina, heliport and a vending machine that pops out small gold bars. NPR

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bbffde1e63e5.jpg[/atsimg]

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but I think the hotel's General Manager is missing the point of Christmas and the Holiday Season, no? Then again, he wouldn't be the only one to miss the point...

edit on 16-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
OK....

Now it's Israels turn to raise one.

Probably be called a Hanukkah bush and Santa will be remained Hanukkah Harry or something like that...

ETA:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1529f482a73d.gif[/atsimg]
edit on 16-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It is a lovely tree, but a savvy decorator could reproduce it for much less.

It seems a friendly, although somewhat ironic gesture.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I guess I would like to think it a "friendly gesture" and there is a comment about the tolerant nature of the populace but sadly, it's a marketing tool (the GM actually said conceived by the marketing dept.) and so again, the question becomes: what do the holidays represent and why do we do what we do? I guess in a place where 7 night stay is $1mill an $11mill Christmas tree amounts to a lot of goodwill and peace on earth, no?

le sigh...

edit on 17-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Lol. Je agree. But you know what LS? It's a marketing strategy for Walmart and Publix, too.
Even ToysR Us. Their trees might not cost millions, but the motive is the same.

Merry Christmas.

top topics

join