It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunting traditions sag as land,desire disappear.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hunting's popularity has waned across much of the country as housing tracts replace forests, aging hunters hang up their guns and kids plop down in front of Facebook rather than venture outside.

If ever there was a time when people needed the skills to be self-reliant,it would be now. Our current support system relies on 'Just In Time' replenishment of food on the store shelves. Not if,but when the global economy tanks, a lot of people are going to fall by the wayside as they are unable to fend for themselves. Sadly, there are many people today who shudder at or have never entertained the thought of having to trudge through the woods in search of water or food, let alone growing a garden. I fear we have become dangerously complacent and uneducated when it comes to being able to survive as a species.

Side Note:The article ludicrously states that due to decreased revenues from a drop in hunting, there would be not be enough money to continue with conservation efforts and claims that available wild lands are shrinking. Now, think about that for a moment. If giant corporations have billions of dollars to pay their executives and pay off officials in order to dump their waste instead of properly disposing of it,doesn't seem logical that there is enough money available to continue with efforts to restore and protect the environment? And the available wild lands would be shrinking because...why? Over-development by greedy investors and bankers,perhaps? Hmm...funny how the Native Americans were able to practice conservation and live comfortably off the land without money,isn't it?

What do you guys think?

Link to article

www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I don't think it's as bad as it's being portrayed.

Certainly, there are reduced forest lands as land is cleared for subdivisions, but simultaneously, the eastern Whitetail deer is thriving.

As far as honing survival skills, I don't mind folks forgetting how to do for themselves.

Things get sideways, then me and mine will be at a significant advantage.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If available wildlands are indeed shrinking, then the money needed for conservation efforts would also be shrinking. How convenient.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Yeah,that would be a strange paradox given that much of the land that's being used or still available needs restoration due to pollution,infrastructural decay and usage 'creep'.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

yeah, things might sound better in your eyes on one level.. but circular thought is a mofo.. smart, less adept hunters will wisely ambush you as you are dragging your kill away.this is the point i am personally formulating a solution to..

plus, if everyone relied only on wild animals they would all become extinct in one season in the typical SHTF scenarios.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The postulation I was addressing was the concept that hunting is drying up because of diminshed land availability and a reduction in new hunters, contributing to an increasing lack of hunters.

As far as a crap-hit-the-fan scenario where suddenly everyone is out hunting, wiping out entire species, that's just not going to happen.

Those who would snipe at hunters will have short, glorious lives.

I plan on trapping, including larger game, as it reduces my need to shoot. I've been shot at a lot, and never did cotton to it.

My presence indicates I shot back.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I agree with both Rebeldog and FarArcher.
well parts of both your posts...
Just before they introduced hunting regs 50 years or so ago, the White tails were headed the way of the passenger pigeon.
people will get stooopid nasty to save them selves and their children
Once the fighting starts...it will go and go
genocide will be the new TV
It is going to take careful thought to survive more then anything.
no matter what
but there are a lot of cows running around

there are a lot of couch potatoes
diabetics
cancer patients
people who are on SSRI anti depressants
they expect that maybe half the population will just fall apart with out the pill bottle.
figure the ones on the dole so long they have no self starting in them anymore...
figure supporting loved ones who are dead weight
figure manchurians, treachery

I was raised hunting traping and fishing
In Canada it is a robust practice and many participate
even just as a ritual
one experienced man can lead and teach many
but there are many elements to survival in the bush
For example birch bark canoe making is almost a lost art, there are few good trees

I see knowledge will be the prize possession eventually
that and health

I don't plan to eat people so I don't plan to shoot them
though I expect that in some places
there will be so much conflict that there will be no "winning"
the thing I think will be
to not be where the trouble is

The Indian prophecy I follow because it is happening as stated, makes it clear
as Far Archer said if the killing starts it will go on and on
if it true to that point I will follow the last of the advice in the prediction which is to stay away from the slaughter
it will be sensless
and hang with the elders who remember and practice the Metis way

in the mean time I study what ever I can

PS
just listening to the rape of nanking on the radio
the japanese shot 5oo,ooo people in the streets
just to say what it could get to be in a day...

edit on 13-12-2010 by Danbones because: PS

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

I don't see it sagging around here, hunting and fishing are alive and quite well in North GA. I was suprised this weekend that with such low temps in the area, how many fishermen were out by 5 am, ready to catch one!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I don';t know if the article tells you this but what funds a great deal of conservation research is the money generated from hunting licenses and a tax they put on ammunition years ago.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingJadeDragon

Wow OP, have you ever hit on a sore spot for me.

I totally agree. With too many people, areas to hunt disappear or become a commodity. I think hunting may have been more popular in previous generations because this was not the case. It was right outside and easy to do. It was also a part of life. Now, most Americans would have to travel a good distance just to step out in the woods and I do not mean a "patch" of trees most urban-shut-ins consider the woods. It makes it just that much more out of reach to the average city dweller.

Sure folks in the country still go out but only because they have more access. More power to them. If that access was taken away, what would they do? I do not buy the BS arguments on here it can somehow get better because one species is increasing in numbers. There is absolutely no logic to support this will help entire ecosystems to support more wild lands and robust hunting opportunities. Rats are thriving in NYC, let's go camping and hunting.

No, Indoorians cannot take care of themselves if need be. They are weak and stupid when it comes to self reliance. Yeah they will die quickly but until then they take up space which would otherwise be awesome woods/prairie/swamp/etc.

new topics

top topics

join