It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What YOU can do for Kids with Cancer for Christmas. Get a Hair Cut!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

So glad you are doing well my friend and thank you for donating!

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by silo13

I've done it before and it gave me an immense feeling of satisfaction. Now, as a cancer survivor myself...radiation CURED my cancer...I'm about to lop off another foot or so to donate it. My wife takes pains to note that the contribution comes from a guy. Just kinda directs a measure of irony towards those who who regard us as 'hippy scum'.

While you're at it, don't you think they might appreciate a knee or two as well?

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Maybe you missed the alternative suggestion(s) I posted, in your rush to discredit the post?

In my rush to discredit? Did you really post that lol?
Take a look at your approach to my thread and then think about what you just wrote.

As for me? I'm not trying to discredit anything for Christ's sake.
Anyway, you suggested Loreal. Thank you.

Ya know it's getting to the point where it's just a waste of time to bring anything to ATS that might be uplifting, helpful or in any way a contribution from the heart. No matter what you do or how you do it people just can't resist shooting down something good. And most of the time, lol, without any proof. Or they’ll get back to you later. Nope, they just get their shots in and there goes the thread - right back into bashing and bs over and over again. How freaking sad is that.

As for people doing something for charity. Sure, you do it to feel good about doing something for someone else, and even that gets called into question here. Absolute fail. Talk about a bunch a Scrooges and bitter cynics.

Hmmm, and don't let me forget. About those nice scarves and hats? Believe it or not? There are people out there, like me, who can't afford them. Fancy that!

Lists of where to donate - take your pick - and as has been pointed out - lol - do your research.

Pantene Beautiful Lengths

A few more links here

Cuts for Cancer

Peace and a Happy Healthy Holidays to you All
edit on 10-12-2010 by silo13 because: bbc

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry that your feelings are hurt Silo, obviously this is an important topic to you. However, when the topic of the OP is suggesting that donating one's hair to LoL will help kids with cancer, yet the facts/statistics show this to be untrue (in most cases), then that bears pointing out.

There are many other ways to contribute to the charity of one's choice that do have impact and are beneficial to all. That is my point and that's where I'm leaving this thread...

edit on 10-12-2010 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I donated spur of the moment because I'm friends with a couple who's daughter successfully fought off leukemia and another couple who's child has burn injuries. But I made absolutely sure that my hair was ok for donation - not bleached, 10+ inches, packaged correctly, not wet or moldy or gray (yet).
However I will check into the other organizations and compare for the next time my hair is that long.

I really like the suggestions of giving hats. I have a huge stash of fleece remnants and a pattern - I may try that, thanks for the idea.

I have a son with a disability (autism) and my daughter. A wise teacher once told me "SHE'S the best thing to happen to him because she forces him to talk and interact. HE'S the best thing to happen to her because he teaches her compassion". May we all find the silver lining...

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I know you have a kind and loving heart - don't let the bashers discourage you in any way!

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

But I made absolutely sure that my hair was ok for donation - not bleached, 10+ inches, packaged correctly, not wet or moldy or gray (yet).

Good for you! I'm sure some child is feeling so much better now thanks to your loving contribution!

I was reading over the guidelines again and I noticed they do accept gray (just saying). It's only the bleached that's a problem. I've got a call and an email into LOL but with the time difference it's a tough one, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks so much for your post, but more, not being afraid to give!

peace

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I know you have a kind and loving heart - don't let the bashers discourage you in any way!

Oh, it’s not so much my feelings, it’s the painfulness in that people just can’t resist bashing things that are good.

For example, if someone has the impression (not backed up by links or facts I might add) that a charity, let’s say, Locks of Love, is not on the up and up, why not approach the issue in a kind way - in an informative way - but a kind way.

Instead of coming into a new thread and saying: OH MY GOD IT’S A ...A...A...SCAM! RUNAWAY!!! You could word a post in a way to alert people to the POSSIBILITY without crapping all over the intent. Like oh, let’s say:

‘For people who want to donate hair, something intimate and life changing for the giver, and the receiver, and if you have not already, you might want to research exactly how to give your hair (the requirements) and to make sure the company you’re giving to is reputable and above board.’

See the difference? That way you don’t influence and bias people from the get go.

Someone might have been right on the verge of saying, ‘Yeah, ya know, that sounds like a great idea! maybe I'll...’

SCAM!

‘WOW! Maybe I better not, the whole world's a scam, forget about it!!!’

Big difference that. Big difference.

Thanks so much for you post.

And like I said I’m awaiting a call and email from Locks of Love to discuss this issue in depth and i’ll make sure and post what I find out.

From what I understand at this point a lot of the hair is sold to cover costs, and, some of the hair is discarded because people don’t follow the instructions and send bleached hair, hair that was wet (that then molds), etc.

Thanks again.
peace

edit on 11-12-2010 by silo13 because: Happy Holidays!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Here's the answer to the email I sent asking for an explanation behind the 'scam' rumors.

Hi **********,

Thank you for your e-mail and your support for Locks of Love. I appreciate you taking the time to request more information about Locks of Love. I can assure you that Locks of Love is not a scam; we are a non-profit organization that helps financially disadvantaged children suffering hair loss from any diagnosis. Locks of Love is very much a volunteer-based, word of mouth organization. We have only one office located in West Palm Beach , FL and are only a full-time staff of six people. Because of this, we rely heavily on our volunteers! Volunteers come into our office every day and help open and sort the hair donations, and send thank you cards to our donors, and they help throughout the country whether it be a supporter holding an event, a hair stylist donating their services, or just someone like your self helping to spread awareness. Unfortunately, overtime, some misinformation has been spread. Locks of Love does its best to maintain a thorough and accurate website to help answer any questions or clear up any misconceptions. We agree that donors should do their research when supporting a charity, and if there are any specific questions I can help with, please let me know. Any interested donor or supporter may also call our office for information they cannot find on our website.

Thank you again for your support!
Best,
Lauren Kukkamaa

(With permission to post this email response).

peace
edit on 13-12-2010 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join