It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Grays a thing popularised by the media?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I know that some of you may bash me but, think about it:
Why, until the 1960's nobody had sightings of Grays? They claimed seeing Greens, Reds, whatever color instead? And how come most UFOs seen nowadays are either fireballs or triangular but not flying saucers like in the past? Are triangles more popular now? Now don't get me wrong - I'm not some kind of a non-believer (I believe in aliens) and I don't say that your personal experiences are false. But why are the Grays such a hot topic today, but decades ago they were not mentioned? Seems like everyone and his dog talked about Greens, Blues, Reds, etc. then but not about Grays. Grays became a hot topic in the 1970's.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Due to interstellar trade agreements, only one species of alien is allowed on the planet a a given time

sorry
anyway, there are many ancient cave drawings that look eerily similar to grays

on a side note, for like 14 years, i was DEATHLY afraid of grays, and couldn't even look at a picture of one..literally!!

Not sure why....could the media have scared me that much (close encounters movie)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think the whole thing with Grays is highly unbelievable. I mean - why are aliens always the humanoid type? What if they are dumber and inferior than us and look like dogs, cats, etc? Well, maybe it wouldn't be as news-worthy as some human-like aliens. I think it's rather unlikely for aliens too have a humanoid appearance. I just don't like human bias. regarding aliens as human-like is the same bias as the way whites think Jesus was white and many blacks regard him as black. And many females think God is a She.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The Grays (or Greys) are the only aliens that are the closest to the truth. They have left evidence with their abductions and other activities. Crazy enough, it appears the right track is that they had a base near the 4 corners in the US and I believe the government found it. The word Grey was given to Paul Bennewitz in 1979 through his computer communications that he was intercepting, I can't see where else he got it from beside the government but he was the first to give the population that word.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The concept of Grays is largely American, people here in Europe don't care about aliens anymore, at least in my area.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I think that the almond shaped eyes, small mouthed grey depiction has been popularised by the media, that being said I think it was only popularised because of a high number of people reported a similar beings along those lines. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the earliest account in Modern times of the "Greys" was the Betty and Barney Hill abduction case in which Betty Hill sketched an image of their alleged abductors. I think this case may have been the spark of the modern grey depiction. That being said, I don't nescessarily think that the grey's are anything new. I have seen many ancient pieces of Art that seem to show what we would term greys. In particular an Image from Ancient Egypt certainly seems to depict a very similar being :

Interested in others opinions on the above image.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
They were just two individuals craving media attention, the same kind as Coleen Thomas.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Many of the first abduction cases, (such as the Hills, etc.) feature aliens resembling the common "grey" type reported. The only other one that comes up as often (and usually mostly in earlier accounts), is the "Nordic" type (i.e. those appearing as humans, with blonde hair, and tall).

I think the case histories show the commonality of the reports of greys, but of course, the media has adopted it as the image or mascot for anything to do with aliens.

There is another, infamous abduction report prior to the Hills, but that person described Venusian women having sex with him, so who knows... Antonio something or other, I'd have to look it up, and I think it was in a Latin American country.

EDIT: Found it... Antonio Villas Boas, in Brazil, just a few years earlier.
edit on 9-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by imnessie

The Grays were popularized by author Whitley Strieber. Before his book Communion nobody was talking about Grays. In my opinion they were made up by Strieber to sell books.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Everything I've read about the Hill's tells me something happened to them. I'm just not sure what that something was. I wouldn't argue they might have used the media to their benefit afterward, but many have done so. That doesn't necessarily negate their story.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkeulogy
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the earliest account in Modern times of the "Greys" was the Betty and Barney Hill abduction case in which Betty Hill sketched an image of their alleged abductors.

Interested in others opinions on the above image.

Sup man, the picture above is of a large vase holding flowers or something, it was revealed. The picture is taken from far away and looks like an alien. I am not one too much into ancient aliens, but I do not rule it out. With the ruins on Mars, I am likely to believe there were "people" in the solar system long ago, we could even be related to them with .1% of our genes.

The aliens that Betty and Barney Hill saw and Travis Walton are not greys. The ones Betty and Barney saw do not have black eyes, Barney also saw a person who looked like a Nazi. This pic was posted here before, and I believe Travis's aliens had pupils. The greys are said to have catlike pupils, but the whole eye is deep black so you can't even see them.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
The Grays were popularized by author Whitley Strieber. Before his book Communion nobody was talking about Grays. In my opinion they were made up by Strieber to sell books.

On the contrary, there were reports of "grey-like" entities before or independent of Strieber. Budd Hopkins published his book on abductions, with a grey on the cover, in 1987 (same year as Communion). Betty and Barney Hill described a grey-like entity in their abduction. In a survey of 203 pre-1985 abduction reports, Thomas Bullard found 51 to describe grey-like entities as the abductors.

However, Strieber certainly popularized the image.

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

verything I've read about the Hill's tells me something happened to them. I'm just not sure what that something was. I wouldn't argue they might have used the media to their benefit afterward, but many have done so. That doesn't necessarily negate their story.

As mentioned, the Hills' aliens only resembled greys, they didn't really fit the exact description we see commonly depicted, just similarities.

If you look at the stickied thread on Classic Cases in this forum, one of the ones listed in the first post is the Hill Case, with lots more info if you're curious.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
they became the defined image when someone says alien.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah, as far as I am aware Antonio villas boas was the first ever reported alien abduction.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
redpill.dailygrail.com...
Betty and Barney Hill may have been the first to describe the Greys. Their abduction supposedly happened on September 19, 1961. According to dreaman.org, "The entities were described by the Hills as '....bald-headed alien beings, about five foot tall, with greyish skin, pear shaped heads and slanting cat-like eyes.'-- This was the very first mention in UFO folklore of the so-called 'greys.'"

I'm not one of the Hill supporters as I'd rather accept the fact that at least Betty was an "experienced" UFO enthusiast and there is a good possibility that she was just reacting to an episode titled "The Bellero Shield" of the original The Outer Limits television show. It first aired on 10 February 1964, during the first season.

See en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I agree that the media has something to do with it and the term 'Gray' originates from one continent. A dogma has slowing evolved around the subject, mostly based on 1947 era and engineers working on secret projects. A lot of rumours and hearsay have contributed to a folklore of Greys and their agenda, etc.

However, 60 years down the road and no progress on the agenda
. Apart from the grey folklore, we now have all the ' Federation of Light' stuff and some two dozen UFO-based religions.

I have a different view on the subject. I believe that if we stop looking up for superior beings , we will finally realise that many things are possible. We need first to understand the illusion of the material world and its workings. Perhaps ETs are nothing but beings that are not restricted by Time and Space . Maybe they figured out they could travel at the speed of thought - no need for trillion dollar space machines. Just think of being on Mars and you are there !!

EDIT : I would also add that descriptions of so-called abductees are no different to what someone in the middle-ages would refer as fiend , demon, succubus, etc . All that has changed is that the greys have discarded the horns and wings and substituted sexy lycra and flying saucers instead.

edit on 25-12-2010 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2010 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Maybe Greys are a thing popularised by the Greys? Maybe if they exist they have it in their interests to make themselves the most known type, for various reasons, and to keep other types from becoming popular.

Maybe they're the Microsoft Windows of Aliens, hogging too much of the market.
edit on 25-12-2010 by JoseChung because: added

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by imnessie
I know that some of you may bash me but, think about it:
Why, until the 1960's nobody had sightings of Grays? They claimed seeing Greens, Reds, whatever color instead? And how come most UFOs seen nowadays are either fireballs or triangular but not flying saucers like in the past? Are triangles more popular now? Now don't get me wrong - I'm not some kind of a non-believer (I believe in aliens) and I don't say that your personal experiences are false. But why are the Grays such a hot topic today, but decades ago they were not mentioned? Seems like everyone and his dog talked about Greens, Blues, Reds, etc. then but not about Grays. Grays became a hot topic in the 1970's.

I do understand that it was the US who encountered the alien species known as the Greys. In the late 40s the government was downing the saucers with their microwave radar technology, they were coined the name saucer because someone famous saw one without being bright like a fireball, these sightings were popular through the 70s. In the 50s people indeed were reporting blue and green aliens, and in south america there were fierce attacking aliens. The greys weren't popular until the early 80s with the help of Whitney's book, I assume he read about the Bennewitz affair, as Paul Bennewitz was the first to ever call an alien by the name of Grey, he received this through is computer communications with the underground Dulce base (before he knew or talked to Doty). Many many abductees started drawing pictures of what aliens looked like, and they all looked the same as the original Roswell description confessed by many. Paul said the Greys were responsible for the cattle mutilations. The underground base(s), the cattle mutilations, and abductions were in the vicinty of america, so I can understand why someone from Europe would think we are nuts. Different sources have related that alien operations in america have dwindled down on a large scale. It seemed to last about 50 years - the 40s through the 90s.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Hi all

Interesting thread.

I conducted some research on abduction accounts from within Australia in the 1980s and 1990s. One of the questions I was interested in was whether the predominent type of alien reported would be the US Gray or the British nordic? The reason for the question is that Australia has a British heritage, but a large US cultural influence.

I documented what I found in a catalogue www.project1947.com...

Happy reading.

PS For an aussie UFO blog please take a look at ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join