It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Associated Press: "Evidence for ET's is Mounting Daily"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This---from the Associated Press? I almost choked on my cheerios this morning.

I was a reporter for many years and this is NOT something I would have ever expected to see coming over the wire.

When people say, "When will disclosure happen?"

I think it's fair to say it is happening now.

Not as quickly or as honestly as we'd like, but it's progress.

Source: www.buffalonews.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
They quoted Seth Shostak in the article?

"Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in California, ticks off the astronomical findings about planet abundance and Earthbound discoveries about life's hardiness. "All of these have gone in the direction of encouraging life out there and they didn't have to."

Scientists who looked for life were once dismissed as working on the fringes of science. Now, Shostak said, it's the other way around. He said that given the mounting evidence, to believe now that Earth is the only place harboring life is essentially like believing in miracles. "And astronomers tend not to believe in miracles."

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I find it sad that so much time, money and effort is put into searching for life from other planets when if, at the end of the day we DO get contact or global disclosure, we are not prepared for it and get passed over as one of the "hostile" or "primative" species.

Imagine our wonder if ET was to arrive only to be sent to the back of the queue in their own discoveries to grow up a bit. What if those ET wish to explore our planet only to be put off by TPTB to hide the shame of the starving, the sick and the poverty stricken. How would we explain all the seemingly (to them maybe) pointless activities and inventions that serve no purpose except for personal and individual gain, not the actions of a developed collective The wonders of modern science would then seem like elitest luxury when they found out and I doubt any advanced race would see that as a good thing and worthy of further relations.

On the other hand, if ET was to visit for the purpose of control and supremacy then it's the elite who would get "bagged and tagged" first for it is they who have most of our planet's "stuff"....woo hoo!

Just thought I'd inject a bit of contrast in an often over optimistic pursuit. I bet it wouldn't be anything like a Spielberg movie. More like "V".
edit on 8/12/2010 by nerbot because: spellig mistale

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Great article. I think this gives us new hope that we will be privy to factual information about alien life - in our life-time. Which is a great thing. I say let them come, let them see what a stain we are on this planet. And hope that they have the capacity for empathy, even if they may see emotions as mathematical equations. I think we would be an asset to the planet, and worth stabalizing rather than enslaving/destroying. It is the things have been done for so long that has caused us to act like an out of control virus rather than symbiotic.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

You neglected to add the rest of the title - "but not proven."

It's just a speculative science report of which we've had many over the decades.

"The first signs of life elsewhere are more likely to be closer to slime mold than to ET."

Now if ETs were already known to be here, as some ATSers think, why would we be looking for slime elsewhere in the universe!

"There's no green alien or even a bacterium that scientists can point to and say it's alive and alien."

And that's your disclosure.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think they're taking baby steps......

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss
This---from the Associated Press? I almost choked on my cheerios this morning.

Maybe because your eye/brain connection wasn't fully awake.

That's the most generous excuse for how grossly you falsified the actual headline in your thread title.

The story was "Evidence for ET is mounting daily" and clearly referred to extraterrestrial life.

You changed it, consciously or unwittingly, to "Evidence for ET's is mounting daily", with the clear implication of intelligent aliens.

Sigh.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Hang on.

A couple of days ago you posted a link to a series of blurry lights in the sky "hosted on the National Geographic website." The implication being that the National Geographic were suitably impressed to publish said pictures. What you failed to mention was that these pictures were simply located in the user uploads section where anybody can post pictures of anything - that's quite a discrepency there, don't you think Jim? What happened? Brain and eye not functioning?

I suggest before bemoaning the OP of this thread you get your own posting in order.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's something to consider...
We go through the an insurmountable amount of trouble to search the heavens for extraterrestrial life. (intellectual and/or other) Stephen Hawking has stated: "We should avoid contact at all costs" The reason is, in a universe with infinite time, space, and matter, infinite possibilities exist. Those possibilities include both friend and enemy, and all the consequences of each. Isn't the gigantic neon sign of lights we call Earth a big enough beacon? If you had the technology to explore space with a telescope of unimaginable proportions, and the ability to travel those distances, where would you go? (Friend or Foe) I'd head toward the blue planet with the glowing lights of life. Wouldn't you? In that instance, which group will make contact first?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Antony270381

Which has nothing to do with this post.

did the OP change the title, omit part of the title and thereby change the way we all looked at this thread?

yes.

Was it intentional, could be and that is the point. The sensationalist claims in the thread titles all over ATS seems to becoming more of a problem these days.

At the end of the day thoughm the article tells us nothing more than we already know. More planets, more places for ET life, intelligent or not, but nothing proven yet.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

youdidntseeme
Which has nothing to do with this post.

No but it is a valid point .
Of course its not proven or we would already know about it , also interesting they show a picture of Europa , surely the most likely candidate to find what we could look at and call life .

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

I happen to agree with your comments about the OP, but I think it’s always relevant to bring a well known member of this board to task for blatant hypocrisy, regardless of the topic in hand.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I find it sad that so much time, money and effort is put into searching for life from other planets when if, at the end of the day we DO get contact or global disclosure, we are not prepared for it and get passed over as one of the "hostile" or "primative" species...

That is my suspicion too, except I'd guess it already happened. It would certainly explain Fermi's Paradox.

It's like, "Hmm, Somalia, you can't really be in the United Nations because you don't even have a government, you're just a war-torn country ruled by armed tribes, gangs and pirates." That's about where Earth is.

Do we think any hypothetical benevolent aliens are going to want to deal with the Ambassador from China, the US, and 250+ other countries all at once? "Here comes the Earth delegation, all 200 of them! Fighting, as usual." Any sort of minimum criteria for recognition would be a unified planetary government.

If the elites know this, that could explain their bloodthirsty haste at creating the New World Order; they want their hands on that sweet, sweet alien life extension technology before they die off. But that's just idle speculation.

top topics

join