It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Benefits Expire

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I would lick toilets clean if it meant providing for my family, and anyone who doesn't have the desire to do whatever it takes does not deserve any money from me to simply look for a good job

jobs are everywhere, they may take sucking up some pride but guess what, I don't give up 15% of my paycheck so Mr. Smith's pride won't hurt

Now unemployment serves a good purpose it really does, but when your already extended unemployment runs out, you need to move forward, swallow some pride, and support yourself and your families, or become homeless and learn that hard work, no matter if its for 7.15 an hour can at least get you by

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Good post.

And noho proves my point. While most people think they are empathetic, they haven't a clue until they've walked ten miles in another's shoes.

I suggest noho volunteer at a food pantry or homeless shelter just for one day and talk to the new breed of people now needing help.

Got news for noho, it's no longer drug addicts, lazy bones, crazies or winos, it's not hitting the middle class and the sheer number of people that use to "obey the rules & work hard" are now homeless and without food.

Many are kids.

Forget the starving children of China, they now have our jobs and our money.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tennysonbass
reply to post by Kryties

Now unemployment serves a good purpose it really does, but when your already extended unemployment runs out, you need to move forward, swallow some pride, and support yourself and your families, or become homeless and learn that hard work, no matter if its for 7.15 an hour can at least get you by

Sorry, don't agree with you one bit. If you have a family, and a mortgage, $7.15 an hour will not get you by. Most places that pay a wage like that won't let you work 40 hours, anyway.

Even eating beans and rice, it would be hard for a single person to get by on that sort of wage.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Great, another 2 million people flooding an already taxed job market

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Case in point right there, If you are on unemployment why should you spend money on black friday at all?

people need to learn to live within there means, if the means change so does your lifestyle.

I am 23 work my butt off, had no support in my education financially from my parents as they are lower middle class themselves, pay my loans, my mortgage, my bills, and put food on the table, not because I have a cushy job that pays more than 9.00 for an hour of my time and labor, but because instead of saying "I graduated from a top business school with an MBA, I should wait for a job that pays me 40,000- 55,000 a year, and has a 8-5 schedule", I said "a job that can pay my bills if i put in the time exists".

I am blessed that I have a job at all, I get that
but I work 65 hours a week, if I lost this job I would take 7.15 and work 65 hours at McDonalds. If they didn't give me overtime I would take two of those types of jobs work myself to the bone, and get it done

Yes, 7.15 and hour for 60 hours (two jobs if one job won't give you hours), is around 430 a week, take into consideration taxes and you could bring home 300-350 a week depending on your tax info
bring home 1400 a month, if you have husband and wife doing this or even just one and the other doing half, you bring in 2,100 a month take home
thats pretty close to what I do,
I have fresh food of all varieties, dish tv , heat, electricity, mortgage, 3 student loans, a car payment, 3 credit card bills (for appliances on new home) and car insurance and i afford it all and am able to tithe money and put some away every month, now that is on about 2400 take home

I'm not saying its not gonna be hard, times ARE hard,
but when you haven't had a job in over a year, you need to settle or stop having those who do pay for you

I'm not saying cut unemployment benefits at all, just that there needs to be a limit to there use
apply for other welfare programs
some pay for your heat on low enough income, some pay for food even with your jobs,
but stop claiming that this is unfair in any way

edit on 2-12-2010 by Tennysonbass because: incomplete though

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

those people, in order to receive their benefits better have been flooding the job market already

did not mean to double post
edit on 2-12-2010 by Tennysonbass because: double post

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
come on folks ....that's what the FEMA camps are for
all those families have a place to go, where they'll be fed and taken care of... its just gonna be behind a barbed wire fence is all

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

reply to post by ~Lucidity

I am 23 work my butt off,

So you have been on the workforce for what....5 years? Hardly enough time to have experienced any negative effects yet. Geez, I bet you haven't even been unemployed have you?

had no support in my education financially from my parents as they are lower middle class themselves, pay my loans, my mortgage, my bills, and put food on the table, not because I have a cushy job that pays more than 9.00 for an hour of my time and labor, but because instead of saying "I graduated from a top business school with an MBA, I should wait for a job that pays me 40,000- 55,000 a year, and has a 8-5 schedule"

I am blessed that I have a job at all, I get that
but I work 65 hours a week, if I lost this job I would take 7.15 and work 65 hours at McDonalds. If they didn't give me overtime I would take two of those types of jobs work myself to the bone, and get it done

Again, you'll be sorry for doing this in 15 years time when your body starts to fall to pieces and you can't work because of the injury then you get turfed out of your house because you cannot pay the mortgage due to injury followed by being told you are unemployable by every job you apply for because of your injury, the fact you are homeless and couldn't pay your debt.

When you get there, remember this thread and what you said in it.

Oh and I personally don't want to slave the majority of my life away working 65 hour weeks just to keep my head above water. No thanks.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Tennysonbass

I'm wondering why so many seem to think that places like McDonalds and Supermarkets etc have so many jobs to spare?

You actually think that they also don't have a huge list of applicants to sift through? You actually think that if you lost your job you'd be able to walk into these sorts of places and say, "Hey man i want to work 65 hours a week for you". Your response would most likely be...."Get in Line"
edit on 2-12-2010 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
reply to post by Kryties

Good post.

And noho proves my point. While most people think they are empathetic, they haven't a clue until they've walked ten miles in another's shoes.

Exactly, i keep saying people are being dehumanised, but people keep trying to sy that they do feel the pain of others. I always doubt today that people do.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by skitzspiricy

I'm wondering why so many seem to think that places like Macdonalds and Supermarkets etc have so many jobs to spare?

You actually think that they also don't have a huge list of applicants to sift through?

That is actually a very good point. People can scream and shout about "Go and get a job at Macca's or Starbucks" and yet have absolutely no clue whether those companies are even hiring people. I remember when I went for a job here in Australia a few years ago all the major retail outlets within a radius that I could get to weren't hiring, or were but for positions in management I was not qualified for. A few people told me "Why dont you just get a job at Macca's and stop being lazy" - that was until I showed them the pile of rejection letters, including from Macca's, and told them to keep their mouths shut.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Animatrix

those people, in order to receive their benefits better have been flooding the job market already

did not mean to double post
edit on 2-12-2010 by Tennysonbass because: double post

Technically yes but people tend to be a bit more diligent about job searches when their only source of income is suddenly lost.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunder heart woman

If any of you can afford it, please think of adopting a family for Christmas, by donating groceries, or wrapped toys, blankets, etc. Thank you.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I started reading this thread last night, and I shamefully admit, at one point I starred a post about people taking advantage of the system. Yes, we all know there are some who do this, but the majority don't. I went to sleep, and my dreams were filled with images of the above saying, along with my grandmother and grandfather telling me stories about the Great Depression. They took on the responsibility of providing for my grandmother's 5 brothers and 1 sister, their spouses and children, and my great-grandmother.

My grandmother, born in Ireland, learned how to make tamales, and sold them from their house. They pooled all their resources, and with my grandfather using contacts he made with the wealthy folks who came to buy their tamales, worked doing odd jobs for the "haves". Their house was known as a place anyone who needed it, could come get a cup of joe and a tamale or two to keep them going. They were able to survive and help others along the way.

These dreams have weighed heavily on my heart this morning. I continue to read posts that rant about the problem, who caused it, etc. I am fortunate, and there are many more like me. Thunder Heart Woman made me think long and hard this morning. The government is not going to help. What can we do to keep our fellow citizens from starving, losing their homes, and becoming the traveling families of this economic crisis? I don't know about everyone else, but I am going to adopt a family. I think Thunder Heart Woman has it right. No, it won't solve all the problems ahead, but it is a start.

Can we as a nation survive what lies ahead? Yes, but I think it has to start with us. Many things have to change within our government, but that takes too much time. We don't have time to wait on the government to provide, we as a people must act now.

There, but for the Grace of God, go I.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

So people who do then should pay for people who won't work at all?

Look I donate money every month to other causes, I am not saying we shouldn't help people out, or that the unemployment system is bad in any way, my father lost a job he had for 30+ years and was on unemployment for the better part of a year, and it got them through till he found another job. taking the human side of things into consideration it is unfortunate that people go through things but there has to be some stoppage point, because there is a finite amount of money to be given, there is a bottom line and it has to be drawn somewhere, it is 100 percent unfortunate that we don't live in a society where we all work 6 hours a day and share the spoils and all have big homes and nice stuff and live worry free, but it is also not realistic, and eventually the benefits have to stop or take other forms than unemployment benefits.

If my body gives out because I worked hard 15 years from now it would be unfortunate but also highly unlikely.
If something unfortunate happens, and I need the system to support me for a year then I will be thankful
But I also will do whatever it takes to provide for my family within certain limits (legality etc..)
If you are not willing to work hard than you can't complain about the loss of benefits
life is hard, whine about it or do something about it

We as citizens of the world need to fight poverty, unemployment, crime etc..
but not do it though complaining that a system that provides free money in times of hardship has put a limit on
how much free money you can receive

edit on 2-12-2010 by Tennysonbass because: extended response

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I will quote some of my own post from the end of page 9

What some fail to realise is that alot of people who have found themselves on these benefits have in fact been in work for years prior to finding themselves in this situation, paying into the same system that we all do.

So phrases like "I'm paying these lazy bums to sit on their A** all day" Just doesn't cut it.

edit on 2-12-2010 by skitzspiricy because: Typo

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I hardly think you have contributed all that much towards unemployment benefits given how long you have been in the workforce.

Anyhoo, the money you pay in taxes is shifted around, altered, multiplied and used to create money out of thin air to pay off bad banker gambling debts so much so that I challenge ANY American to PROVE BEYOND A SHADOW OF A DOUBT that part of their tax money is actually being used for unemployment benefits - rather than to refit Air Force 1 with some water purifiers and pretty smelling fragrant flowers that cost a million dollars each.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

2 years of checks rolling in???

C'mon I know some of these leeches too and they know exactly how to "work the system"

DISGUSTING is a more mild term than what I would use.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

That my friend is a different argument for a different day, and one that I agree with you on, but eventually someone will have to answer to where the money came from and it usually isn't the elite or governments, its usually us.

and so what I'm 23? so I haven't experienced as much as some of you have
I can say I have experienced enough to know that the world can eat you alive if you let it
that the job market is awful and qualified people have to take jobs they are overqualified for
that healthcare at an affordable level does not exist in our country
but instead of accepting that things are so bad that and i should accept my fate
I am going to do everything in my power to persevere and come out with what I want and need

so unemployment has expired on people who have had it for two years?
thats two years of a steady paycheck for no work, along with medicare more than likely and other benefits,
so I am 23 and haven't paid in that much as someone who worked 25 and lost a job, guess what he has recouped what he paid in, and the system worked to a degree, but there has to be a limit on these benefits
some people will use them without limits,
some may need it and have a legitimate argument for having continued unemployment
but in doing so it opens a can of worms
everyone has a sob story, everyone needs it
and frankly most of us probably deserve the money, but
without limits unemployment simply does become the working supporting those who don't
name me one society in history that has worked that way without collapsing
edit on 2-12-2010 by Tennysonbass because: change

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Well said, and I agree.

On the Unemployment numbers, I beleive a significant percentage of the Unemployed are waiting for the economy to come back around. Not sayin you are a part of this percentage, I dont know you.

They should use this period to transition, and the Govt could help with this, to a new career (Military esp. may need some help soon?!). Emphasis should be on education/training for a career change.

When working in the same field for many years, it is hard to change the familiar. The end result is what one should focus on.

But if I could get them to help out, with this Insurance, why not? Everyone needs help in this transition, Banks, Insurance Co's, Automakers, and the People.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by paratus

Yes, you know "Some" .....2 or 3 people maybe? 4 at a stretch? Less?

That's a very very miniscule percentage of the real Unemployment Benefit Statistics.

Just because you know of "Some" people milking the system, does not mean that everybody on Unemployment Benefits are.

edit on 2-12-2010 by skitzspiricy because: Typo

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join