It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

Hi there,

Cheers for the response. I wasnt actually meaning to look like i was fuming and enraged. I think its often very easy to get confused with someone just being quite passionate about what they are writing, or looking like some enraged lunatic!!

I will apologise to the OP for writing the post was pathetic and perhaps that was not the correct thing to write.Its just that i really cannot be doing with people getting sucked into believing the rubbish the media write. I think its probably something that a lot of people grow out of. Depends what paper you read as well. I do read tabloids sometimes, but only as a source of amusement because you can see the sensationalised bollocks they churn out most days, of course, to sell papers, and make cash, which they do!!................

I think its better to have your own opinions, fromwhat you see out there for yourselves on the streets, roads and in the towns, cities and villages. This snow business is blown out of proportion completely. Its starting to melt away up north now, and im sure it will follow suit around other parts of the country, I am sure that cash points willbe filling up, mail is ariving and food is on shelves. Basically the panic was for nothing, the papers sold a few papers and some people fell for it all, hook, line and sinker, again. Ive quoted numerous other examples of sensationalised crap the papers churn out, and hope that more and more people start to think for themselves a bit more, instead of relying on unreliable sources, for information.

I appreciate you saying i am a good person. I try my best, although i unfortunately like everyone am very imperfect and that can be seen in my original post where i have a tendency to rant and rave, until i calm down a little bit!!!.............Someone called me a macho man before, which i felt was pretty sad. Theres nothing wrong with having a bit of fire in your belly and a bit of heart. I would much rather be like myself that somebody gutless who gets spoon fed media crap every day and digests it all without even a fart or a burp.......

Letters to representatives is a nice sentiment. But in my experience they dont work all that well. I wrote a letter to my MP recently, and he didnt even get back to me about the issue i raised. They have bigger fish to fry than dealing with a constituent that had an issue about council tax exemptions on empty properties!!........I have to say i disagree with that point you raise. Getting changes in a system where those at the top make decisions that detroy the welfare of the poor and working classes demonstrates the sort of arrogance where no moaning letter will do the job. That letter probably ends up in the bin with a lot of the other letters whilst our mps and representatives saunter around, having meetings and wrapping this country up in pretty packaging that hides huge problems on a scale that is almost impossible to tackle, and lets not forget, with no resources, or money!!

Its no wonder this country cannot deal with snow!! Why?? Because this country doesnt spend any money at all on its infrastructure. And when the # hits the fan they hold an investigation into the matter. As if it wasnt obvious why public transport etc cannot cope in the first place. This country pretends its still a force to be reckoned with, but lets face it, we are minnows.

Of course getting completely back on subject the standard of driving improving would help traffic flow, which would help the roads. I agree some further training for those drivers that lack confidence would be good. Its easy for the more confident drivers to chastise those who arent very efficient(me included) but that doesnt help anything. Common sense would help, Theres been plenty of good advice on this thread about what you should do to deal with it,and plenty on the internet,

The OP continues to try and get his points across which is fair enough, but i think that the worst is over for now up north, the panic is over and the roads are getting better in large parts of the north.Just continue as normal, get your normal levels of shopping in and chill out if you can help it..........Its the x-factor semi final tonight and we can moan about that instead!!

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf79

Apology accepted. Now instead of us all arguing about the snow how about we try again and start sorting this out because I think the worst is still to come.
Before I go on I wish to inform you all right now that I'm not scare mongering and what I say is NOT based on fact ok. Its simply my own opinion or a mere prediction. My very own but not fact.

Right.
Please be vigilant. This so called thaw (IMO) will be very short indeed. A day or two if that. The problem will be the melting snow and ice re freezing. Pipes both water and gas along with everything else should be checked.

I believe there is more snow on the way. I also think its going to be worse than we've have already.
I don't think we can limit this to the UK either. Europe and far east. I believe that there's an avalanche on the cards and those that frequent the slopes should be vigilant and check with the correct persons regarding risks etc.
Yep it sounds like scare mongering I'm simply saying. Not just UK europe also.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This post seems off topic but I also have a feeling that the aircraft accident and others to follow could be caused by the temperatures.
Obviously the ice on runways will cause craft to run off but I would like to put this to you all and hopefully put forward my thinking.
Temperatures on ground have been sub-zero but I'm thinking its got to be much colder way up where they fly? Maybe way colder than normal perhaps? Maybe colder than what manufactures recommend for certain parts on the aircraft?
Engines?
Landing gear?
Flaps
Also the leading edge of the aircrafts wings that regulate the antifreeze?

Anyone point me in the right direction please?

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Don't worry about that mate, modern aircraft have built in anti ice systems, on the leading edges of the wings, probes, windows, and engines

Pilots have icing reports given to them, as up there the temp goes down to -65 normally. but the air is usually dry at high altitudes. however at lower altitude where you do get moisture, that can freeze.

But with weather radar systems and weather reporting, and cross communication between aircraft and controllers these can be avoided

Note on the graphic it only goes up to FL300. Aircraft normally cruise at FL320 - FL410

Also bear in mind that aircraft have been operating in Russia, Canada for years and years where is is regularly -20 or -30 on the ground for long periods. and no issues there. Even in the central USA it has been known to hit freezing temps in the -20's and no issues there.

edit on 4/12/2010 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/12/2010 by JakiusFogg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Thanks for the info. I know that it seems like I'm just making random statements. You ever get that feeling that somethings going to happen but you can't put your finger on it? I'm there now.

I'm adamant that we are all going to under estimate this winter and be caught out. Could it be possible that predicted Ice ages are imminent? I'm starting to lean towards that its started now.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey there guys,

Some of you may recall me posting some photo's of The Lion Inn up at Blakey Ridge on the top of the North Yorkshire Moors few miles from where I live.

Well, if any of you thought I was exaggerating you might want to take a look at this MSN News article that I just found ... apparently there have been 7 people snowed in there for the last 8days.

MSN NEWS LINK - news.uk.msn.com...

Those poor people bet thay were devastated.

Woody

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Its far from over yet folks so don't be caught out and keep an eye on weather reports.

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Its far from over yet folks so don't be caught out and keep an eye on weather reports.

Yes I'm inclined to agree ... even though we haven't actually had any fresh snow (this is our second day) it is still too cold for the existing snow to start thawing.

I shall continue to watch the weather forecast and hopefully I will be able to get out tomorrow to replenish my food store ... I've not been out of the house since last Monday (benefits of working from home).

Woody

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Woodwych, a little bit further south of you on the banks of the River Humber we've had the beginnings of a thaw, but it has been pitifully slow. The temperature is already dropping and I think tomorrow will be an incredibly icy day and very difficult to get about.

The partial thaw has brought a new problem, snow is sliding down the roof and getting stuck in the gutters, then the shear weight of snow is ripping the guttering away. We've lost the kitchen gutter, and the waste pipe for the kitchen sink when it landed on it. B&Q for me tomorrow, and next door has lost both front and rear gutters, and is in danger of their ripping ours down with it. Any armchair lawyers want to explain where I stand making a claim on next-doors insurance if her guttering collapse brings mine down with it?

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

The lady in the cottage opposite mine has a piece of precariously hanging guttering due to the sheer weight of the snow.

No thaw here yet and still lot's of snow hanging around ... I'm guessing that even when it does thaw the problem will not be over because of the increase in water volume ... and here it's not just down to the snow in the immediate area ... it's the water that will come down off the moors once that melts (from ski's to flippers me'thinks)

Woody

posted on Dec, 5 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I remember the floods in Hull from 2007, I'm not sure I can cope emotionally with it happening again. It was traumatic enough last time, but a repeat would be pretty dire. I am hoping that a gradual thaw will give the sewerage system a chance to cope rather than being utterly overwhelmed like when the rains came.

I expect there will be a lot of damage to roads as a result of the cold, the temperature is dropping outside rapidly, and is expected to hit -7C in the city, so in the country I expect it to be much colder.

Fingers crossed we can get back to the usual grey, cold, and miserable without too much disaster and devastation.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Central Scotland complete white-out right now.

Tried to get to an app at the hospital but had to abandon the journey half way there and come back, passing cars sliding into eachother and off the road. Absolute mayhem. No buses and taxis wont run and half the shops and banks etc are closed from lack of staff.

My grandads street has been blocked off by police because its at the bottom of a hill that cars have been sliding down, crashing at the bottom and abandoned so theres a pile of cars there whose owners have just given up.

Happy days!

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Veeerrry cold here today ... still no sign of a thaw.

Rob37n I hope there are no major floods when this stuff eventually decides to go ... I can only imagine how bad it must have been for you.

According to local weather the temps are going to be dropping again with the potential for more snow ... lovely
now if on;ly we could get the summer season to heat up and redress the balance !

Woody

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by niblo

Hey there niblo,

Hell, I have a hospital appointment in York on Friday ... sincerely hope I can get there because I'm in so much pain at the moment it's only the prospect of getting something to help me on Friday that is getting me through it !

Woody

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Here's a heads up. Round 2 on its way.
This time maybe if we can all sing from the same Hymn book perhaps?
Remember what has just happened and learn from it ok people.
Be safe. All of you.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

I had this really horrible dream last night. i dont get many dreams that relate to real life their usually like lsd trips! I hope it doesnt come true and i hope im just embaressing myself. I was in it so il assume it took place in this country, i got off a train and ran to catch a service bus, and as i was getting on and paying the bus driver said something strange like ' if those people knew about the trains they wouldnt be getting on them'. Then off course there was a massive crash of the train i just got off. Anyway, i didnt want to start a thread in the dreams forum, because more or likely it wont come true, just thought id post it hear. Anyway the ice has hit us in south wales, its crazy, no snow though. I havnt felt cold like this for years.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

You know what everyone seems to be having dodgy dreams at the moment even the dogs and the cats acting weird. As for your dream I won't discount it because I think the weather we've had?.....its nothing compared to what's coming.
Air rail and public transport will chance to grind to a halt.
Let's see if we've all learnt anything this time round.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
reply to post by niblo

Hey there niblo,

Hell, I have a hospital appointment in York on Friday ... sincerely hope I can get there because I'm in so much pain at the moment it's only the prospect of getting something to help me on Friday that is getting me through it !

Woody

Fingers crossed we have some respite by then.
Your post is a reminder to those who seem to welcome this weather to think about all those who suffer with it. Including the many who don't get paid it they don't turn up for work, those of us who are not fit enough to ditch the car and walk home, who can't afford to take a hit on our insurance premiums should the car have a shunt, who need daily visits from care workers or medical help, who can't afford to heat our homes, who are unsteady on our feet...
And yes we have had snow etc etc before. But usually it comes and goes in a few days. The problem with last January and now is the severe cold which lasts so much longer.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Sled dogs, get your sled dogs!

Here in Manitoba the snow can be easy enough to deal with, even when it piles up 6 Meters or more. It just takes a day or two to get things moving again.

The worst part is when all that snow melts. For areas that are not used to this, there may be some flooding. If you live in a low area or next to a babbling brook, be aware of the meltdown.

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
But for some of us it's not so much the snow.
It's the cold and the ice.
edit on 6-12-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join