It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK this could be snow joke!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Here in the cold dark Black Country we have a mere 1cm of snow yet it took me an hour and 10 mins to get home from work.. It usually takes 10 mins... Yes for 1cm of fricken snow!

Get a grip Sandwell Council!

Now.. Im dreaming of a full on snow fall so I can take a sneaky day off and teach the kids arctic survival, snow graves, ice breaking drills in the canal, followed by a live firing snowball excercise...

And a cuppa REAL (green and blacks) homemade hot chocolate with marshmellows..
edit on 30-11-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Deepest Norfolk...a smattering...not even a covering.
Monday, 2 hours to get 20 miles.
Today, 2 hours again. Apparantly buses do not like the extreme cold, of not quite zero. I dread tomorrow because the temperature might be -1.
3 hours do you think?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DenyStupidity
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Not to sure why you got stars for your post.

Anyhow. I was pointing out how stupid we are as UK residents to worry about any of this cold weather. My girlfriend who lives in sweden shows me pictures around now regularly of bad weather snow in crazy amounts, they are not prepared for it no more then we are, yet they don't moan about it. They get up, shovel tones of snow and go on with there day, we see a trickle of snow and say ''right, im not going to work today!''..... It's just amazing to me, people are going soft.

That's what I was laughing at.

Who's moaning...? Media? I'm not moaning, I love the snow, shame we UK resident's dont get enough though I think that's all going to change now we are receiving the northern hemisphere weather climate because the Gulf Stream has been retreating for the past 24 months and has turned completely haywire.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

I'm not picking at you, just saying as a word of advice, if you can afford it, go down to your local car dealership and pick up, "studded tyres" have them fitted to your motor, and hey presto! Best tyres to drive in all cold, icey and snow condition's. I live in the hilly part of the east midland's only 30 minutes drive from the Peak District/Matlock and a lot of driver's here suprisingly have many car's other than truck's, and I have not come across one driver who has got stuck. Since we all have to drive on more than half a dozen hills a day to go to work & back, it's no wonder the driver's around here are more experienced than other's around the country. The most basic principles to driving in snow and ice, keep low rev's in high gear including pulling off and when torque climbing only use the clutch half way between bite and floor. You'll never get stuck.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tzavros
Deepest Norfolk...a smattering...not even a covering.
Monday, 2 hours to get 20 miles.
Today, 2 hours again. Apparantly buses do not like the extreme cold, of not quite zero. I dread tomorrow because the temperature might be -1.
3 hours do you think?

It all goes on a driver's experience and especially if there's a "sunday driver" infront of you, nah that's harsh, at least a lot of driver's take into consideration of other's around them going at speed's of tractor's but hey, who can blame them, for relying too much on their council's instead of buying stuuded tyres that are right for the job in winter condition's. Hence the reason road tyres are named "road" tyres not "snow" tyres. If it was made compulsory for every UK citizen including Welsh and Scottish to have fitted studded tyres, the traffic flow rate of speed would be increased by double and there would be less stranded and more confident driver's behind the wheel.

See it from my perspective, every driver on the road is a teamplayer you have to work together to get from A to B, if somebody breaks down, they need help to get them home, otherwise if there kept stranded, that will only cost everybody else more time to get home, on time. And for the sakes of the shook up person from the broken down car, it's nice every once in a while for somebody to help the stranded driver, since the highway traffic agencies, AA, RAC breakdown agencies haven't got the infrastructure or vechicles to retrieve every other single emergency on the road. It's nice every once in a while that people tuck in and help eachother out, people do not need to treat stranger's like enemies, they are in our country too. Treat them like you'd treat your neighbour's or family, help them out.

That's what I do, I alway's help people, where ever help is needed.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I live in the north east UK and its pretty bad here. The snow is literally up to your knee everywhere, however I have heard that the councils have double the amount of grit that they had last year and have even more on order so that should not be a problem however the latest weather forecast (i know they do get things wrong) says it will be -20 in some parts of the uk and i was gobsmacked by this. Things are looking like they could last longer then 15 days aswell, there are lighning and thunder storms up here too and everytime one comes it brings a S*** load of snow with it.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Got plenty here in south essex at least a good 6-7 inches its been snowing pretty mych all day and its still snowing now
I love it

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'm supposed to be picking my girlfriend up from Heathrow tomorrow night, I hope the M25 is clear by then otherwise I will have to leave now to get there in time

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Good grief, we've had five inches overnight and it's still snowing heavily. Schools cancelled across the city, no buses, trains cancelled, travel warnings, roads gridlocked, short dogs looking worried, and chaos reigns.

If these extreme weather events are so rare why do they keep happening on a regular basis?

CX

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
short dogs looking worried

Cheers....wiping a mouthfull of tea off the desk as we speak!

That said, people with dogs should be carefull in this weather. Many think they are doing right by getting their dog a cute warm coat, but whilst they keep them warm, lots of the rain or water from snow gathers around stomach of the dog and they get colds really bad.

If you can get them a coat that does not have a gap at the bottom it's better.

CX.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I envy you people.I love snow and we hardly see any in Athens.Maybe once every few years.But when it snows the situation here as you discribed.Roads close,schools close,buses stop.

Right now we have about 20C and most of the people are in tshirts and light clothes.I don't think we will snow this year

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Quite a dusting?
Hopefully most took what I said and prepared.
Be safe.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Wow...that's really bad. I hope they manage to clear it soon. The roads here are still diabolical, even the main road west from Aberdeen, and the little country roads I live on.....forget it. Almost no traffic, no gritters in evidence more than a week after the snow started, and more snow this morning...another 4 inches at least, and it's still snowing. I have to get out on Friday or I'm gonna starve!

Stock up and stay home...seriously.

Cait x

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Theres only two problems on it at the moment which is about normal, when it first snowed yesterday there were 9 or 10 different accidents at once.

We really need to start including driving in snow as part of a driving test here (on an artificial skid pan I guess like they used to do in the 60's for Bus drivers) people just haven't got a clue even the lorry drivers who you think would be rather more careful.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Here in the cold dark Black Country we have a mere 1cm of snow yet it took me an hour and 10 mins to get home from work.. It usually takes 10 mins... Yes for 1cm of fricken snow!

Get a grip Sandwell Council!

Now.. Im dreaming of a full on snow fall so I can take a sneaky day off and teach the kids arctic survival, snow graves, ice breaking drills in the canal, followed by a live firing snowball excercise...

And a cuppa REAL (green and blacks) homemade hot chocolate with marshmellows..
edit on 30-11-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

The Black Country ... there's a blast from my past ... I was born in Alderidge and brought up in Tamworth (although the latter is technically not the Black Country)

I had to move to North Yorkshire to get some proper snow.

Here are some pics taken the day before yesterday by my friend in York Museum Garden ... York Park (by the railway station) and the backyard;

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb0fe2f02311.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1247d5c1d52d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d4137dbbfefc.jpg[/atsimg]

Still coming down hard (every day since last Thursday) 9ins in places and schools closed all around the area. Farmers keep clearing the roads with their tractors than half hour later they're covered again

Woody

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turtlecheif
I live in the north east UK and its pretty bad here. The snow is literally up to your knee everywhere, however I have heard that the councils have double the amount of grit that they had last year and have even more on order so that should not be a problem however the latest weather forecast (i know they do get things wrong) says it will be -20 in some parts of the uk and i was gobsmacked by this. Things are looking like they could last longer then 15 days aswell, there are lighning and thunder storms up here too and everytime one comes it brings a S*** load of snow with it.

Here in Aberdeenshire there is some places recording more than a metre of snow and the temp fell to -21oC last night, its currently -15oC in Altnaharra at 1450. The forecast is for the UK national record to be broken with temps between -25oC and -30oC for Aberdeenshire.

Aberdeen City council has already run out of grit. Scotland manages to deal with snow far better than England, and its not because we have better tools etc to deal with it...its our mentality that wins. We are used to the snow more than our English counterparts.

This will most likely be a UK record breaker, the most severe cold snap in November for a 100 years at least if these records break.
edit on 1/12/10 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

Interesting

So Positive Weather Solutions nearly got it right, but should have stated instead of the hottest Summer on record we'd have the coldest!

Most of my work mates are in Aberdeen so always interested in your posts
thanks

Tho we still don't have enough snow down here to even count it as a sprinkling
most dissapointing.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

I'm stunned. I don't know how cold it was last night...it's almost like we stop feeling it after a while. One day in February, when we had a two week period of very low temperatures, we were wondering around at work, remaking how balmy and spring like it was. It was still -7 during the day. I guess it's all relative!

Where did you get the forecast of -25 to -30 for this area? Is this forecast soon? I'm not disbelieving you at all, I'm just...well worried, I guess. This is not the coldest part of the Aberdeenshire, for sure, but because of where the house sits, if it's -15 in Aboyne, it will be closer to -20 here.

Cait x

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
My girlfriend just phoned again, Edinburgh airport is closed all day today so no girlfriend for me until it reopens

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

That's so sad....I'm really sorry to hear it, and I hope she gets there safely eventually.

But you still have us!

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join