It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does GOD Exist? - A Quest For Truth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
There is an eternal question that plagues much of mankind. This question, in question... Is there a GOD? Just as there are those that stand firm that there is indeed a GOD, and many who stand to believe that there is none. None... Nothing... Both are beliefs, and both have many who believe the other should not exist.

I've decided to take a logical walk down this road just to see if my personal beliefs could be swayed by either side. In fairness, both sides will be taken with extreem scrutiny based on what I do know about various sciences and what we know as true facts of the world around us. Also, to be fair, I have chosen the best constructive arguments I could find to show which side has a stronger basis.

As this will show only the most logical of opinions/facts/evidence, I ask that the same from anyone else who wishes to contribute. Constructive arguments please.

GOD Does Exist

I found some reasonable arguments in the above videos. I can also see how many could be debunked right off for lack of proof, but I think what we're looking for isnt the lack of proof, but how much proof we can find. Still, I could see counter arguments to each as well. All in all, I think it all reverts to what the induvidual finds most logical to them. They choose what feels right to them. I can see how pretty much all of these videos could give someone more inside to believing more so than disbelieving.

Now for the other side.

GOD Does Not Exist

I really tried on this one guys. The only real foundation that seems to hold any water are mathamatical ones. But at the same time, you can easily counter with some of the videos above that use math to proove GODs existance. If anyone can find or has access to better arguments than these, please contribute. I really have to say though, I was dissapointed because most of the videos i've seen offer no real counter proof. Many of them are too general and many of those were more less bashing or stupidity videos. If you jump from the rooftop you will probably break your arm. It doesnt take faith to figure that one out.

General Information

This could really play on either side. Its more general but might hold some weight towards either side.

Interesting take on the Universe and what lies before

I found this post to be very interesting. I remember reading, though I cant for the life of me remember if it was in The Book Of Enoch or the Koran, but I remember reading that GOD had pulled fire out of nothing, one the top half red and the bottom blue, or something to that effect. I think the Koran mentions something like this but pulling Genie and Jin into existance? I'm not too well versed in the Koran, but I have skimmed through much of it over time. This kinda resembles the same concept to me in a strange but connected way.

Just Right!

After watching and choosing all of the best videos I could find on the subject, I think I can relate more to this one than anything else. If I were searching for this truth, which as the person I am always searches eternaly for my GOD as do many others, I feel this one video would compel me to believe more so than the rest, and based upon what I've seen for counter arguments, I feel I would probably wander towards believing more so than disbelieving in the existance of GOD. I could be biased, but I really think that I've thought this through with a sound logical perspective. Much of science cant be proven as fact because we simply cannot see and touch it, but based off of math, we know it exists. It's kinda the same thing. We all have beliefs, even if it's wether to believe in GOD or not, it's still one side of the overall coin of the question at hand.

Once again, I feel that it simply boils down to ones own personal needs and perspectives. Maybe I need my faith. Maybe without it, life for me would end in a sense. Maybe others do not need that to move on, motivate themselves, perhaps due to a strong will towards something else. We believers also have that same push, to latch onto something that makes us feel alive, but GOD to many of us is the companion and relationship of one that created us. Athiest may find that strange, that we have an "imaginary friend", but that shouldnt divide a world of people. Everyone should seek their truth but do so without harming the beliefs of another. After all, being an athiest is a belief also, even thought it is the lack of belief. And Ironic contridiction
But all have a right to believe what they will.

Good luck in your own searches and may you always find the answers you are looking for... or arnt. Salute!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Does God exist thread?
That's a new one.

Before you say, "did you even watch the videos"?

Yes, seen em all before.
edit on 23-11-2010 by keepureye2thesky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
TS's next step imo should be to investigate the man called Jesus of Nazareth.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Seems like you've put a lot of work in to this. That's good. But facts are facts and the only fact you'll find in this thread is that god cannot be found in this thread... or any other for that matter. I'm not religious. I don't believe in god. That being said, I do believe that the path to god is a personal journey. I'm pretty sure that concept, coincidentally, came right out of the bible -- and I think it's one of about 5 (arbitrary number) relevant concepts that I've found in the bible.

My god? The sheer awesomeness of things around me; the chemical changes in leaves as they change colors in the fall (they don't actually change colors, those other colors were always there!!), the fact that Beethoven's 5th and all the other kick ass music is nothing more than the air around me vibrating at various frequencies -- and furthermore, all that vibrating atmosphere can elicit emotions and inspiration more than almost anything else in my life. I don't think there's some big angry white dude in the sky with a big beard who's going to smite me down if I pledge my life to a golden cow. I think that concept is certifiably insane. I think god is a formula, a scientific constant and fact that is observable and re-creatable all around us. There's nothing supernatural about god, unless you consider the reality we live in the multitude of realities all around us supernatural... but I digress.

My point is, I've come to this conclusion on my own. I do think discussion helps - but you cannot prove or disprove god in a 3 minute video. That's simply not what god is. You may be able to disprove the stone age gods that were created by those in the position to utilize the concept to empower them and their successors - but any one person's concept of god is their own. I don't try to force my concept on others, I share it and I welcome others to share theirs as it can only help me further my own ideas.

Good luck in your search, my friend!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Probably not.

What?

That's all I can give you really, though I guess I can expand on it.

Does a deity exist? Well, I've yet to see the evidence for it. Many have attempted to prove the existence of their respective deity, but none of the proofs have met muster.

And no, I cannot disprove the existence of god anymore than I can disprove the existence of invisible pink unicorns or garage dragons.

(Oh, and I have seen those videos before.)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Catholics believe that God is existence. Your question, 'Does God Exist?', is irrelevant and meaningless.

edit on 23-11-2010 by oliveoil because: reason#20678397

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
wow, from all the responces, I've seen only one contructive one.

The rest are pretty much thread killers.

Thanks guys! Hope to return the favor!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The best evidence we have for God would be the Bible. However there are many that would say that the Bible is simply a story book written by men. I will not take the time to argue the point that it is true in this post..... quite frankly I'm tired and want to go to bed. But I will say one little interesting tidbit. Psalms 103:12 says "As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.". This statement was written about 3,000 years ago, you know back when everyone just KNEW the Earth was flat. east to West forever, because the Earth is round, not North to South, East to West. If not inspired by God as it claims, would the author have known? Just something to think on, not proof per say, but interesting.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Interestingly, there are other refrences to the world and it's natural order steming from The Book Of Enoch.

And after that I saw all the secrets of the heavens, and how the kingdom is divided, and how the actions of men are weighed in the balance. And there I saw the mansions of the elect and the mansions of the holy, and mine eyes saw there all the sinners being driven from thence which deny the name of the Lord of Spirits, and being dragged off: and they could not abide because of the punishment which proceeds from the Lord of Spirits. 3 And there mine eyes saw the secrets of the lightning and of the thunder, and the secrets of the winds, how they are divided to blow over the earth, and the secrets of the clouds and dew, and there I saw from whence they proceed in that place and from whence they saturate the dusty earth. And there I saw closed chambers out of which the winds are divided, the chamber of the hail and winds, the chamber of the mist, and of the clouds, and the cloud thereof hovers over the earth from the beginning of the world. And I saw the chambers of the sun and moon, whence they proceed and whither they come again, and their glorious return, and how one is superior to the other, and their stately orbit, and how they do not leave their orbit, and they add nothing to their orbit and they take nothing from it, and they keep faith with each other, in accordance with the oath by which they 6 are bound together. And first the sun goes forth and traverses his path according to the commandment of the Lord of Spirits, and mighty is His name for ever and ever. And after that I saw the hidden and the visible path of the moon, and she accomplishes the course of her path in that place by day and by night-the one holding a position opposite to the other before the Lord of Spirits.

There seems to be alot of time put into the book to show how the sun, the moon and the stars work in the heavens.. Information that we claim is brought forth from only the last century. It's amaizing how the information always seemed to be around, yet we only now give them credit.

And now, my son, I have shown thee everything, and the law of all the stars of the heaven is completed. And he showed me all the laws of these for every day, and for every season of bearing rule, and for every year, and for its going forth, and for the order prescribed to it every month and every week: And the waning of the moon which takes place in the sixth portal: for in this sixth portal her light is accomplished, and after that there is the beginning of the waning: (And the waning) which takes place in the first portal in its season, till one hundred and seventy-seven days are accomplished: reckoned according to weeks, twenty-five (weeks) and two days. She falls behind the sun and the order of the stars exactly five days in the course of one period, and when this place which thou seest has been traversed. Such is the picture and sketch of every luminary which Uriel the archangel, who is their leader, showed unto me.

I makes me wonder just how many more facts we can pull from ancient documents that we thumb down as gibbersh and make believe. Perhaps one day when we know all we can know, we just might compare them with older, ancient refrences and we might just say, as we do with the Aztecs and Myans... Ya know.. Those hebrew people had it right.. How could they know this so long ago... Yet we give credit to certain civilizations like the Sumarians and Persians as being the founder of mythos and belief systems, but who's to say that the bible isnt correct, that those nomadic people we know as Hebrew wasnt the precursors to what the sumarians claimed. I think we give the bible and it's history a whole lot less credit than we should.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I don’t have any constructive scientific evidence, for the existence of God but here are some thoughts you might like to consider…

I guess it all boils down to the question…what do you believe existed in the beginning? Or similarly… What do you believe always existed?

Most people will agree that something must have always existed. You either believe that all the elements in the universe came about randomly (or just always existed) and somehow formed by themselves without any help and in turn somehow, happened/made everything else that we know and see around us, in the known universe. Or you believe that God always existed and created everything. IMO it requires more faith to belief in the former, than in the latter.

Obviously I believe in God and Jesus, as you can probably tell from my signature, even though I don’t belong to any particular Christian Denomination.

It’s says somewhere in the bible that God draws close to those who draw close to him. I personally believe that God is not meant to be proven scientifically and with evidence etc but that he is meant to be found and revealed to a person spiritually. God is looking for those who are seeking him and when you think about it deeply enough, you will begin to understand why that is the way it is meant to be.

I hope you find what you are looking for…

- JC

join