It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Lives Being Outsourced To India! Is It A Bad Thing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Well, Obama seemed to have lost the plot when he was hauled over the coals for not doing enough to stop outsourcing to India, a global IT giant and a Mecca for global outsourcing. But does that argument hold water? In fact America has gained enormously.

Not only big business but Americans too, many of whom are making a bee line to India for state of the art medical facilities where a heart transplant operation costs less than one sixth of that in the US of A!! So what of American health care? Will it go bust due to the exorbitant costs of medicare? Ordinary folk would anyway! For example, a double hip replacement costs a whopping $120,000 in America. In India? $20,000!!! And that includes the entire package including travel costs, boarding and lodging in five star luxury.

And how about American kids being taught maths from the other end of the world? Meet Swathi Chopra from India.....

Here's the gen...

edit on 15-11-2010 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
America is a joke.all that's left are the corporations.everyone and everything else is on borrowed time.
as soon as they start making budget cuts,you can expect millions of americans to die...don't expect it to be televised.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Outsourcing only benefits the rich.
How many people who need a hip replacement can't even afford the plane trip to India? Lots.
Besides, you can guarentee that when India and China reach their economic Zenith, they won't be stupid enough to outsource their childrens future prosperity to more "needy" countries.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Outsourcing has just created a new working class in the Global Capitalist economy. Its logical that if companies can get their labour more cheaply in another country then they will outsource that labour.

We in the west need to be investing in education like the eastern nations. India and S Korea, invest in their future generations as they see it will help improve their economies in the long run. Unlike we in the west, where many see education as a burden on tax payers.

It just seems to be a case of western short sightedeness, we only care about the here and now, not thinking about the future of our children or our economic future.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
But here's the other side to outsourcing...

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
i first noticed 'outsourcing' in the late 80's, and knew something smelled miserable.
i run a t-shirt company, and my partners were like, 'well we can buy imported shirts cause they are cheap, we can also go overseas to produce the clothes!'

i fought them tooth and nail, and this was in 92-93.

thankfully we have a few options for made in the usa t-shirts still!

but i will never outsource, i will never import.

im also going into production of toys next year. everyone tells us 'it is impossible to make toys in the usa.'

we can make toys in the usa SIMPLY by not making 100% on the sales. we might just make 50 if we are lucky, but even if we only make 10%, we are going to still produce the toys.

we are making the toys because we are artists, if we make money, great! if not, it was just an endaevor.

i just wish others still thought like this.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

The downfall to outsourcing is simple to me... Once all of the skilled / manufacturing / tech jobs are gone, we are left with a service industry based economy which cannot maintain itself. Corporations don't care because they see the emerging markets as the cash cows, and not the Western countries.

When this is all said and done the West will be a landscape of Mcdonalds, Taco Bells, Hooters, and Jiffy Lubes with nobody left with any money to patronize them. Then what?

Of course the plan is that most of us will work in little blue vests and chanting the words "Welcome to Wal Mart". The lucky amongst us will work in management or move out of country to the second or third world as supervisors. There's an old saying about things you shouldn't do in the same place you eat... We are dangerously close to violating those rules with our economy/jobs.

I, for one, do not want my entire professional / consumer / personal life to revolve around the Wally world.

~Heff

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dantanna
but i will never outsource, i will never import.
im also going into production of toys next year. everyone tells us 'it is impossible to make toys in the usa.'

we can make toys in the usa SIMPLY by not making 100% on the sales. we might just make 50 if we are lucky, but even if we only make 10%, we are going to still produce the toys.

we are making the toys because we are artists, if we make money, great! if not, it was just an endaevor. i just wish others still thought like this.

May the Almighty be with you!
But hey! Remember those millions of dollars worth of cheap toys that were imported from China? They were all lined with hazardous materials such as lead. Who is responsible for this? Who cares for our children? Certainly not the Chinese as they're laughing all the way to the bank at our expense!

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
"What protection teaches us, is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war."

I agree with that quote. In the long run, free trade benefits all parties. But it's only the short run that most people seem concerned about. I think China or India not allowing free trade would be a very stupid move for them in the long run.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
"What protection teaches us, is to do to ourselves in time of peace what enemies seek to do to us in time of war."

I agree with that quote. In the long run, free trade benefits all parties. But it's only the short run that most people seem concerned about. I think China or India not allowing free trade would be a very stupid move for them in the long run.

Perhaps, but it is not free (and balanced) trade when the Chinese will make a comestically similar low quality alternative to an American product at 1/10th the price. IMHO, the US has been in a global trade war for decades now, but rather than fighting it, we simply pay tribute to our attackers to maintain our way of life.

What was sad was the reaction (even by myself) to the "Buy American" campaign a few years back... The middle and lower classes cannot afford it... if an American product is even available. The upper classes don't see the point, they would rather support the businesses turning a profit. And the governments of the world viewed it as obstructionist and against free trade principles.

This is not exactly unheard of, though... Many science fiction novellists have written of a future where noone remembers how to fix the machines anymore. Eventually, it all ends in darkness.

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

They make it sound like a good idea but has it been, the answer is obviously not!, those jobs that were outsourced for 2 bucks an hour were the American middle class who were being paid 12 - 20 an hour. The corporations took advantage of a cost savings of 10-13 per hour in savings, but also lost there customer base because the people who were buying those services no longer had jobs to buy them.

I was a manager in a call center and I had been talking about the growing problem since 91', but so much for that speech, because here you are.

America has OUTSOURCED the middle class and can't get it back!! all that left is SERVICE, but no one can afford to buy the services.

Manufacturing jobs are pretty much non existent and were sold out long ago for the sake of CHEAPEST price, you asked for it you got it.

American is a dead country standing and until you start to bring back manufacturing your only last resort is to be a military country waging war to create an economy, a military economy, and it sure seems like the government is trying hard to make it happen too.

join