It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces Televised Chandra News Conference - "exceptional object in our cosmic neighborhood"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
reply to post by james404

Please allow me to show my ignorance with this question... Is a Black Hole technically an object, that can cast a shadow and all? Isn't it essentially, by definition, the lack of any matter or object? Just askin.
edit on 11/11/2010 by new_here because: clarity

A black hole contains a tremendous amount of mass and matter. The place where matter isn't allowed to be is right on its edge, where it gets sucked in (to stay)

Also, according to Hawking's radiation a black hole would emit some radiation because of a manifestation of quantum effects right on its edge.

Certainly finding a black hole up close (in galactic terms that is) would be a great opportunity to confirm some of these theories, or deny them, either way...

-rrr

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl
[img]
[/img]

the moon is in our cosmic neighborhood
if i didn't know any better, I would say that this looks like it's blotting out some sort of rock formation...
or statue....
like a Sphinx...
the Sphinx is pretty exceptional
but i think any deliberate rock formation or statue discovered on the moon would pretty much qualify as exceptional
it could be anything or nothing, you know, sort of like a Rorschash censor-blot ;o)
or, it could be something completely unrelated to the moon and whatever China is currently clucking and chirping about in that regard
edit on 11-11-2010 by stupid girl because: (no reason given)

Although I do find this picture intriguing, Chandra is not taking pictures of the moon as far as I know. Although the timing of the announcement could mean that they are trying to stay competitive with china by having a revolutionary announcement to make at nearly the same time (even if unrelated) If the announcement turns out to be really boring then there's a very good candidate for a rationale as to why it was made now and like this.

-rrr

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by McGinty

Originally posted by kennedy13
I cannot make a new thread because I am fairly new, but there is something going on in the sky southeast of where I live, which is upstate NY. I apologize for posting a reply about this here but I have never seen a UFO or anything out of the ordinary in the night sky until now. Looks very similar to a star but it is pulsating red, green and yellow lights. The object is very far off in the distance and looks almost like a star. I have dialed in on it with my telescope and it is defiantly not atmospheric interference causing the color, there is something there!

I saw the same thing a few nights back in the UK.

I see them all the time here in Chile...wonder what they are.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by simon2k7

I cannot make a new thread because I am fairly new, but there is something going on in the sky southeast of where I live, which is upstate NY. I apologize for posting a reply about this here but I have never seen a UFO or anything out of the ordinary in the night sky until now. Looks very similar to a star but it is pulsating red, green and yellow lights. The object is very far off in the distance and looks almost like a star. I have dialed in on it with my telescope and it is defiantly not atmospheric interference causing the color, there is something there!

There's seems to be thread about it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Has anyone else noticed there's about five sharp points at the right hand side of this blurred out image that it appears they mistakenly or intentionally missed during the blurring process??

[img]
[/img]

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
"Its a Uranium Pew-36 Explosive Space modulator." It was lost from a Romulan battle cruiser scout, during its recent visit to the moon.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tetsuo

"Using observations with NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and ESA's XMM-Newton, astronomers have announced a robust detection of a vast reservoir of intergalactic gas about 400 million light years from Earth. This discovery is the strongest evidence yet that the "missing matter" in the nearby Universe is located in an enormous web of hot, diffuse gas." chandra.harvard.edu...

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Royzer

Im wondering if a 'reservoir of intergalactic gas' qualifies as an 'object'? I really hope it isnt that, as, although the cosmologists among us would no doubt be excited by this enormous cosmic fart, personally I would find it a huge let down.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Royzer

You think they would have a Live TV conference for something discovered and announced in May?

I doubt it. Still no reply from Mr. Perrotto or any additional info.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rhadamanthus
reply to post by IamCorrect

I think that was a contribution from Fermi. I don't know for sure if they work together or not but the article clearly states it was found by the Chandra X-ray Observatory.
edit on 11-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-11-2010 by Rhadamanthus because: (no reason given)

Fermi (Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope), is as the name says, a Gamma Ray observatory. Whole different spectrum.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm suprised no one has brought up this image. I see a bunch of right angles in that "crater"

The angles look swastika-ish too.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez
reply to post by ksorelleesq

I am just curious if they would consider that in our "cosmic neighborhood"....
Seems quite a ways out of town for me but who knows.

My curiosity is peaked for sure!

Whatever you have to say, I will not read. My eyes are bleeding every time I see your avatar.
Please do us a favour and change that annoying picture.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by simon2k7

I too have seen this in the UK, looking East across the North Sea...Never seen a star pulse these colours before and no other star in the sky does it...even the ones close to it.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

That is Sirius. The brightest star in the sky and it always has done that whether or not you have ever noticed it before.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Just speculating here but could this exceptional object possibly be the object described and mentioned that the Chinese have now found on the moon that NASA are also aware of?

It would make sense for NASA to release the information that "they" wanted us to hear about it instead of China probably telling the world the "truth" of the object.

I very much doubt its some gas formation, or comet or something along thos lines because these arent really exceptional. The word exceptional is a word used to describe something important in my opinion!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jrmcleod

That is Sirius. The brightest star in the sky and it always has done that whether or not you have ever noticed it before.

Thanks Phage, i appreciate the response, i was unaware that this was Sirius but now i know and anyone else who mentions it i will pass that info on.

Thank You Again!!!

edit on 12/11/10 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelionPrime
Whatever has been observed is happening at high energies (Chandra is an XRay telescope only), so it's either solar (you'd be more than aware of it by now!!) or maybe a relatively local supernova (hardly worth a press conference, unless we're talking about the first stages of Betelgeuse going boom).

Have you seen Betelgeuse lately?
It is amazingly bright and seems to be flashing red and blue.
I've been watching the skies for 50 years and this is different.
Maybe it is going supernova.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Will be interesting to see what it's all about. If they call it an "object" then it must be something of solid material and not just gamma-ray bubbles. Though I think NASA has a tendency to disappoint with their "big" announcements but we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by the.lights
Has anyone else noticed there's about five sharp points at the right hand side of this blurred out image that it appears they mistakenly or intentionally missed during the blurring process??

Yes, I noticed this as well. After scrutinizing it for a while, it is my opinion that the "shadow" we're seeing is indeed nothing more than the result of a previous attempt at covering up whatever they are trying to cover up.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Part of the NASA media release said, " we dont know what it is and we dont know whats causing it..."

" whats causing it..." ....thats the words you need to read..

Something is out there, something has happened and something has caused it to happen.

Another moon, a new astroid belt, a birth of a new star ...who knows....might be something really realy dull too.

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join