It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is your specialty?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Onother ATS member posted this the other day, (Sorry I dont remember your name) but I think its worth posting again.
Id never seen it and it really was amazing to watch what this guy was able to do, it makes me want to go over and check out his cabin. It really shows what a person can do with very little in equipment and alot in imagination!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SneakySleuth911

How did you build up your sense of direction? Or was it just something you have always innately possessed?

i have only been able to help people feel direction in a small way.
mine's built in, has been since i left philly and hit the woods for good.
that was 30 years ago.
one way i can start you understanding the concept is with a compass.
first try day time.
while out on a trail, every time you seem to change direction, look at the compass.
best to just begin at the trail head.
eventually, your body figures out that you can basically track the sun without realizing it.
take it in steps, once you get to the point you know which direction your heading at night,
your about ready to graduate.
i make this sound simple, yet it could take a long time.
cities are great to get lost in, i've been avoiding them for many years.
trail time, or even better, bushwhacking and just walking in the forest, desert helps.
the more often you go get yourself lost, the quicker you'll learn how to find your way.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
I Fix Things.
Clients present their problems, and for a price I provide a solution.

Often Multiple Solutions Simultaneously.

Regards...........

i'm pretty good with building, fixing, just about anything.
even vehicles, but i'm pretty lost as far as anything beyond simple carbs and motors.
i'm guessing your reply is more towards business?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I was an EMT in the 90s. Was also in the National Guard so I am O.K. with weapons. Not a sniper by any means and I should probably get to work on that. I am a truckdriver by trade 12 years on and off. This is a real good idea though. Think of what your capabilities are when the proverbial SHTF. I always thought I would be pretty useless as I am not rich or anything but, hey if any of you have the money for supplies I can patch you up. If you have a truck company I can get them where you need them. If I run out of ammo, I will be more than happy to expend yours for you... Th Th Thats all folks !!!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Thanks for that! I am going to have to try that out on a nature trail next time I go hiking... Must be nice to abandon the city garbage once and for all and just enjoy all the beauty that is around everywhere!

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Learn to use a compass, dont think a GPS system is going to help you, unless it has radio coms built in, but still possiable to go Tits up all together. A good compass is not spendy,$30-60 depending on options your looking for.
Im not a walking Billboard for REI, I mostly shop at my local military Surplus Store (Shout out for "Dropzone") or sporting goods store. But REI does have the best return policy out there, the last time I checked, your pretty much sure to get bomber gear from them even their personal cothing line. And theres a dividen payback program at the end of the year.
If you order something online, they will ship it to the REI store in your area (if your lucky to have one) free of charge.
Dont expect much from the help, unless you want to stand around and hear about thier last expedition up some no name Mt thats never been climbed, do your homework with online research but take a look there when you shop.
Expect "GO EAT #" looks if you wear a gun on your hip while in the store

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
i have really good eyesight even at night. iv been able to fix most of my electronics that went bust. i can make good nightvision goggles (not hard really). and iv been told im good at sneaking around (cia good)
. for example iv been inside raytheon without security clearance by accident. how you ask.. i dont know. they gave me a good scare when they seen me told me it coulda cost me 30+ years of prison. they gave me clearance in the end.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Ex Navy, ex Firefighter/EMT, Worked as a hard rock miner. blaster, heavy equipment operator, industrial construction electrician. mine rescue. heavy rescue. rock climber, Advanced Navy NBC warfare training and fire department hazmat/WMD training.
Can operate boats and ships enough to get them from port to port,(USCG First Mate and chief engineer certificate 1973) NRA expert marksman. Can take down building and bridges.

Good at repairing old equipment. building solar, wind, and hydro power systems. Can open just about any thing with the application of a little high explosives or using power rescue equipment to open safes, vaults, doors.

Can dig tunnels underground hideouts shelters or living quarters.
Most would be useful after TEOTWAWKI

edit on 8-11-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

can i be on your team?

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Hey Tramp, I enjoy tracking too, Where did you learn it?

hey buddy, mostly self taught, but have had a few teachers to point out the things i never considered.
started when i was a pup.
those damn, his last name was brown i believe, books.
i'd be tracking everything from bugs to humans.
never stopped, everywhere i go there's tracks.
there's 2 things i enjoy that can give me a great excuse to walk in circles.
tracking and metal detecting.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am fairly good with a knife. I can clean a turtle with one. When I say 'clean', I mean get the meat out of the shell so you might eat it, not buffing the turtles shell in preparation for the Fulton County turtle races.

I can cut the 'fish'(tenderloin) out of a deer without gutting it (not the loins or 'backstraps', the little tender tiny ones that lie between the intestines and the spine).

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hunting (archery, rifle, shotgun)
trapping small game
fishing
farming / gardening
food preservation (canning, dehydrating, pickling, etc)
bitchin'
small engine repair
metal-working

oh, yeah. I'm pretty good at drinking beer.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrius
Unbelievable amount of optimism, so much so that I even survived my ex.

I am semi-serious about that. I am a huge optimist, though, and I do think that's a very necessary survival "equipment". In terms of something more...physical, I guess, my scavenging abilities are better than average, as are my dietary habits. Meaning, I can eat almost everything, anything.

You don't know how right you are my friend...the psychological toll on the population in a SHTF scenario would cause many people (some who even think they're hard as nails) to roll over and die, or submit to a FEMA camp!
The single most important factor in survival is a positive mental attitude, aka Will to Live. With that, you can endure and overcome any hardship that doesn't kill you outright. Remember that kid who cut off his own hand with a dull chinese leatherman? That's the kind of situation where Will to Live tips the scales.

As for me and my mad skillz...

Tinkerer: grew up on a farm, have natural skill with physics and fabrication to make new stuff that works out of old junk.
Survival Knowledge: former USAF survival instructor, sortof. Washed out on a medical during the final training phase, but got all the know-hows they had to offer.
Medic: Former EMT
Comm Tech: Also USAF trained, and worked 10+ yrs in 2 way radio industry.
Hard Laborer: Recently worked 3+ years roughnecking.
Communications: I'm the guy that always seems to be able to de-escalate a bad situation.

Gigolo Yeah...I can bring home the bacon when TSHTF!!!

edit on 12-11-2010 by blamethegreys because: because clarity is next to godliness.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

How do you know these traits exhist? What I mean is what are you doing to know you can track and have a great sense of direction? How often do you go and shoot your ".308"?

By the way I think you might have trouble with your ".308" since that's a caliber of bullet and not a gun.

I call BS on this entire Post!!!!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Tai' chi, Swordsmanship, and technology. I can't deal with firearms until Im 21, 1 more year.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I can make just about any thing out of junk and Cut and weld mig tig or brazing with oxy for trade and commerce if SHTF

For survival I can shoot squirrels and rabbits with my bow and can plant and harvest vegs. and fruits

For protection I have 16 yrs military to fall back on

And Im purdy good at drinkin beer

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by amc621

How do you know these traits exhist? What I mean is what are you doing to know you can track and have a great sense of direction? How often do you go and shoot your ".308"?

By the way I think you might have trouble with your ".308" since that's a caliber of bullet and not a gun.

i'm not sure how i should respond to this one.
my first instincts is.

I call BS on this entire Post!!!!

is there anyone who cares what you think besides yourself?

i did misword above though.
it's my grand daddys m1a. and i mentioned already how i really need to go out and shoot more.

otherwise i'm not sure what standard your judging me by, nor do i care, but if you'd like to explain i will respond.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

i'm really surprised by the number or responses mentioning emt training of sorts.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yeah, it is a pleasant surprise. Probably there's a crossover in the psych profiles for EMT's and conspiracy buffs!

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blamethegreys
Yeah, it is a pleasant surprise. Probably there's a crossover in the psych profiles for EMT's and conspiracy buffs!

i know, at least i can find help after i shoot myself in the foot.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join