It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Crop Sabotage on the Rise

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
www.biolsci.org... Anything they (can) do will not be soon enough. The US is very experienced at sticking their heads in the sand to protect profits. Farmers in the know fought this on their farms but lost to big money...Now we all have to live with their greed esp. concerning efforts to rid corn of fungus. Is Morgellons a mutant immortal fungus they gave us in their efforts to stop an edible ugly growth called Smut, on corn that God gave us? We wait...

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Monsanto can go to hell

Great stuff!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
reply to post by NoHierarchy

This is why the Bible predicts great food shortages in the last days. People are destroying their own food. Way to go. You'll wish you didn't when the groceries are empty.

Actually I'm not a big fan of GMO food, but nor am I a fan of knee jerk protests in the absence of evidence. Did the protesters have evidence that this particular strain was harmful or unlawfully pushed on the consumer?

You are against GMO food, but are you against breeding or hybridization? What if one particular modification actually did improve food quality or increased the vitamin content or something like that. Would you be against it?

Liberals need to learn to start making reasoned conclusions and not just react because the marxist media or some website told them so.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I already knew about these tactics, but it's great that that it's finally becoming big in France. Let's hope its spreads in other GMO-affected rural areas elsewhere in the Western world.

Perhaps mainstream eco activists will learn that the electoral/reformist approach simply got us in a even deeper mess over the years, and that it's time for a major paradigm shift.

Talk about good ol' PURIFICATION BY FIRE!

edit on 4/11/10 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Peter Brake

Did you know we have record commodity prices right now, 18% reduction in Canadian wheat, Russia (third biggest grower) no longer selling wheat. We have forgotten food riots of 2.5 years ago. Still is you want to be serious folks, the home of corn - Mexico is already polluted with GMO's hundred of years of breeding have been wiped out in a decade. All corn would have to be stopped growing in the America's for this now to be cleaned up. Sorry to say it, and don't get me wrong you could actually do it. The effort required though is large.

You have mentioned increased production - well it is a dream and even if it worked (proved wrong worldwide) it still does not answer a world population growth of 3% per year. GMO's are not an answer for our future growth, their are better ways. Ask Monsato the question "what is the increase in attempted rates of gene transfer by naturally occurring bacteria given the presence of GMO's?"

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Interesting...Thanks!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whyhi

...citizens act to protect the food supply and the planet.

Definitions of protect on the Web:

- shield from danger, injury, destruction, or damage

Yeah...Oh I forgot, unless it's some natural / organic / pseudoscience food, it's bad. Evil science...

How can natural be pseudo-science?

If anything is pseudo-science it is Monsanto pretending that their food stuffs are healthy when blatantly not.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Its about damn time someone took action. I can only hope that people in the states take this example and remember tht together we can fight back against the corporations. They might have money and technology but we have numbers and the means for survival. $&F!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
A warning to anyone thinking about doing any of this: you will be treated as an AGRICULTURAL TERRORIST. Once labeled such, you will not have many, if any, rights.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Bravo to the French. At least they stand up and fight for their health. I have taken care of country folk for 24 years. I talk with the farmers in great detail. I can tell you this. They can no longer purchase heirloom wheat, soybeans, or corn. If they replant GMO they can lose their farms and the replanted seed bares little fruit or stunted so to speak. Monsanto is the most evil company on the planet. You see what money can do by watching academics in science create frankenstein food. Money talks unfortunately. I guess anyone can be bought off these days. How can any company own a patent on nature? Bought off judges!!!!!

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

The only reason to genetically modify food is to increase profits. You honestly think money that goes into GM R&D is for finding out how to make us all healthier? Have you been living in a cave? No, those investors expect a return.

And that return will be provided by any means necessary.

I also contend that nature's foods are fine as is; they don't need to be "fortified."

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Apples, corn, cherries, beef, etc, do NOT need to be "fixed."

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sounds like criminals ransacking someone elses property. Those people have no right at all to destroy anothers property. No one forces them to eat those foods. Is there a reason those folks can't grow their own crops if they have that big of a problem with GMO's? They want to tell others what to grow now? I don't support gmo's but I don't support someone destroying anothers property either.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Genetic manipulation of food crops has the potential to feed the world. Don't generalize all GMO as bad because it's not.

I'm totally against "terminator" GMO in cases where it's to protect profits because the seeds will always have to be purchased from the parent companies, but GMO crops where yields are doubled or even tripled are what is going to save this planet from starvation.

Hybrids like a Kudzu/Grape or Bamboo/Corn might just allow us to get past the overpopulation problem until we get nanofabrication to a point where it can sustain us.

Think also about GMO plants and animals that are being created just for medicinal production.

I see GMO scares as the same scares which people have about vaccinations, which have brought back childhood diseases that we thought were almost eradicated. They save more lives than they harm by a VERY wide factor. GMO has the same potential.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by guavas
reply to post by SevenThunders

The only reason to genetically modify food is to increase profits. You honestly think money that goes into GM R&D is for finding out how to make us all healthier? Have you been living in a cave? No, those investors expect a return.

And that return will be provided by any means necessary.

I also contend that nature's foods are fine as is; they don't need to be "fortified."

If it ain't broke - don't fix it. Apples, corn, cherries, beef, etc, do NOT need to be "fixed."

That seems pretty short sighted. I'm not sure how you can't see all the reasons for GMO food. Higher yields, better nutrition, disease and pest resistance, hardiness to grow in harsher climates. Farmers will take whatever they can to get a better crop. GMO has the potential to give them, and us a better life. Sure, profits are a motivator, but you make it sounds like that is the only thing that will be gained.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dantas
Sounds like criminals ransacking someone elses property. Those people have no right at all to destroy anothers property. No one forces them to eat those foods. Is there a reason those folks can't grow their own crops if they have that big of a problem with GMO's? They want to tell others what to grow now? I don't support gmo's but I don't support someone destroying anothers property either.

They only destroy test plants (from the French government or from private firms), not other farmers' plants (anyway, very few farmers in France are ok to grow the few authorized GMO's).
GMO's are bad for the health and it has been proven. GMO's must be stopped as soon as possible or we'll all die from this s**t.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders

You are against GMO food, but are you against breeding or hybridization? What if one particular modification actually did improve food quality or increased the vitamin content or something like that. Would you be against it?

Liberals need to learn to start making reasoned conclusions and not just react because the marxist media or some website told them so.

There is a big difference, in my opinion, in breeding two good plants with certain qualities to generate offspring of those qualities, than taking a virus that has had its DNA altered so as to "infect" the DNA of a plant to produce an offspring that would never have occurred in nature. Breeding is not crossing the line, but creating is dangerously close to places we should not be. Humans do not have the responsibility to create, especially at this time when we can't stop killing each other because of differing opinions.

Look at they way you attacked an individuals intelligence and political views because he/she thinks differently from you. You type as if you want things to be better for all humanity yet you contribute to the cesspool that is berating and slander.

One person cannot change the world, they can only make it better for the people around them.

I say this often because there are so many people that believe they cannot impact the world alone. However, when you think about it, if you make it better for the people around you and they make it better for the people around them. Then you have effectively changed the world by yourself. However, because it is such a simple and closed statement people tend to walk away with a slightly more positive outlook.

In all seriousness, making things better starts with me and you, along with each individual out there. Variety of opinion is what makes us human. It is what makes you, you and me, me. Take these away and you have a society of drones that follow one collective mind.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It seems to me that perhaps pulling up a few plants is, at best, just a token, particularly when you consider there could be thousands of acres planted with those GM seeds/plants.
I've noted that some here have shown concern for the farmer losing everything, if his crops are pulled up or destroyed. Well, it seems to me again, that he is the crux of the problem. He, the farmer has elected to sow GM seeds. I doubt Monsanto has turned up on his doorstep and forced him to use thier products. He has elected to use them and probably, to increase his profits and damn the consumers! Money again! Always money!
Maybe those reactionaries should have gone to the farmer and had a quiet word with him. Shown him the error of his ways, so to speak. Educate him. Not romp around his paddocks making news.
Clancy

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I'm really growing to respect the Europeans these days.

These people are getting out and DOING something about these issues while the majority of North Americans are stuck in some sort of trance, unwilling or unable to take any action on any issue whatsoever (unless it's more red vs. blue political destruction/distraction, of course).

It really makes you wonder what's going on here in North America to make the people so docile that they're willing to sit back and watch everything from the economy to the food supply be taken over and destroyed by corporations while they do absolutely nothing about it.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by clancy
I doubt Monsanto has turned up on his doorstep and forced him to use thier products.

Really?

You need to do some research on Monsanto because, frankly, that's EXACTLY what they do.

In my honest opinion, they are one of the most evil corporate entities on the face of the planet, right up there with Halliburton.

posted on Nov, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just look at what they did after the Haiti earthquake. They donated 450 tons of seeds hoping that every farmer there would use them, forcing them to buy from monsanto in the future. Good thing the people down there have some sense.

www.truth-out.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join