It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural mob kills couple accused of witchcraft in Bolivia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   

LA PAZ, BOLIVIA—Police say that a mob in rural Bolivia has killed a couple suspected of casting spells on neighbours.

Chuquisaca region Police Col. Raul Matos says neighbours in town of Ichupampa had denounced the couple to officials. When they took no action, a crowd seized the two and killed them on Saturday.

He says the bodies of the 48-year-old man and 46-year-old woman have been recovered. But Matos said Tuesday he did not have details on what sort of spells the two allegedly had cast.

More and more details of witch craft and people getting killed for it.

Is there really something behind it, or is it just an old cultural hatred for witches.

There truly needs to be deeper investigations behind these incidents, we need more details to find out what is going on.

Another interesting perspective, just to spark a conversation:

"If such an incident took place in a Muslim Majority Nation, or if such a crime was committed by Muslims, what would the reaction be?"

What do you think?

Thoughts..

On both conspiracy side, and political side.

oz

www.thestar.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Bolivia is largely Roman Catholic,not a religion all that amenable to witchcraft SEE:Inquisition
second line.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix
reply to post by oozyism

Bolivia is largely Roman Catholic,not a religion all that amenable to witchcraft SEE:Inquisition
second line.

This type of incidents have occurred in Africa also..

What is the deal?

Is it the lack of education, or is there really something behind such news ..

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

It's crazy, ignorant people overwhelmed by bullcrap religious ideas, facing crap! And hoping for a magical solution.

There's nothing like relgious asshats, taking advantage of folks to get a few dollars in the pockets!

Just say no to being burned as a witch!!

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It seems to me that those areas that convict witches also to tend to be religiously intolerant rather than ignorant or uneducated. I am even reluctant to conclude it is due to oppressive religious leaders, since my county has seen a few of those.

My opinion is based on my home and it's history.. Sussex is the oldest Saxon nation in England, and the last recorded Saxon nation (along with the Isle of Wight) to convert to the "Roman" Christianity (which itself never really stuck), Yet on the other hand Sussex also lacks any evidence of a pagan type heritage, and no one can tell me a peasant from rural Sussex during those centuries was anything more than uneducated or ignorant peasant.

So with that overview, only a few witch trials have ever taking place in the whole of the history of the nation/county.. with only 1 person in all that time (1575) sentenced to death for witchcraft (even that was a case of Murder) the remaining few trials and the even fewer convictions of witchcraft saw those convicted (male/female) sentenced to no more than 1 year in prison.

From that point of view I can not help but see that religious intolerance has a lot to answer for..

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

What is the deal?

Is it the lack of education, or is there really something behind such news ..

It comes down to simple ignorance. They just don't know any better. Remember this part as well "rural area". Education and worldly knowledge is rare in such places and the people are really impressionable. Enter religion. Done deal.

It's sad really. This happens in rural areas all over the globe, you just don't hear about it unless it is leaked out.
In light of reading this I believe the new deal, if not only rethoric and posturing, between Iran and Bolivia might be of help to solve said ignorance.

CX

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Go to Youtube and type in "Africa's witch children", you'll get a multi-part documentary on how children are being portrayed as witches by the pastors there.

Sickening and heartbreaking.

CX.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

second line.

First, Even if Bolivia is mostly Catholic, people still believe in myths, witchcraft and other things. In many cases, they create a fusion between acient original believes and christianism. Local church authorities usually accept this.

Second, Inquisition was more that 100 years ago, and also impossible to link to these actions. Inquisition was controlled by the church, not by a mob.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It's pathetic and inexcusable.

How would these people feel if they were persecuted for believing in the Christian god?

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

reply to post by oozyism

second line.

Actually, most people here have some sort of special polytheism that mixes their beliefs with a bit of Roman Catholicism. I would know - I have lived here all my life. Also, considering the fact that most people here are indigenous, a big percent of them do not even have a slight "mix" of roman Catholicism in their beliefs. Their beliefs include the celebration of El Nuevo Año Aymara (The Aymaran new year), sacrificing Llamas because that supposedly helps earth (they bury them alive. Good enough to be considered witchery? I'm actually not sure).

I have never heard of Witchery in my country before... I will do some research and let you know what I find. But I never, ever found reports of witchery or people attempting to kill others/actually killing others because of it.

And yeah, sorry for the bump. I just wanted to make it clear that most indigenous people here have mixed religious beliefs.
edit on 11 21 1010 by Cricious because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 21 1010 by Cricious because: Some typos.

posted on Dec, 4 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

A witchcraft mob,in bolivia,cannot be doing any good at all for society.

new topics

top topics

join