It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accents are Extremely Amazing.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
You got to admit, they are cool yeah?

Accents are picked up based on environment, and I find it ridiculously fascinating how many different types of accents there are just in America. Then, once you think worldwide and all the different accents, then it starts getting really exciting.

Have you ever been able to tell where somebody was from based on their accent? Accents makes me laugh, because sometimes the person with the accent does not even realize they have an accent! Oh, what a fun topic.

Please discuss. I will be adding some more this thread as it goes along.

-SES

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Accents are amazing ??

thats basicaly the OP yeah ?

you kill me sometimes SolarE. you comedian you.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Here's one to pop your mind...

Do you think that deaf people from different regions sign with a regional or national "accent"?

~Heff

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Haha yeah some are amazing, and i can usually tell about where someone is from by their accent (In the US, anyway).

We should start an ATS ventrilo server
Mine is up for about another month...Could you imagine? Maybe not the best idea I've had all week...heh.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Accents are pretty cool. Do you know what's even cooler? Threads about accents.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I wanted to add:

My favorite accents:

-Southern: they make me crack up so hard. Sometimes I think to myself, "is this person serious? is this how they really talk?" A large majority of the time yes, it is how they really talk. It is such a strange way of talkin, but to them, I'm sure it seems all fine n dandy, yessiree. But to people who don't live in the South, the southern accent can definitely give someone away as to where said person is from. I'm not dissing on people from the South, it's just that it is a very specific accent.

-East Coast: Probably one of my favorite accents. BONUS! accent is usually accompanied by some major attitude and snarkyness. Really hilarious things said by these people.

-European: Neformore, I'm talking about you. You have one of the most luxurious voices I have ever heard. You represent Europe very well.

Dislike:

-Fake accents. You've met someone like this before I'm sure. In Hawaii, there is a dialect called "pidgin." It is a modern day local kine style way of talking. Lot of people who visit like to try and talk with the pidgin accent and fail miserably. Very funny to listen to them attempt it though.

Please share your favorites!

-SES

edit on 24-10-2010 by SolarE-Souljah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

People ask me..."Do you park your car in the garage?" Guess where I am from. lol

Mahree

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
-European: Neformore, I'm talking about you. You have one of the most luxurious voices I have ever heard. You represent Europe very well.

edit on 24-10-2010 by SolarE-Souljah because: (no reason given)

A European Accent!?!?!

Really!?!?!?!

Wow one persons accent represents more then 100 dialects (low estimation) He must really have a truly amazing accent to sound Greek, Dutch, Flemish, English, Scottish etc etc etc all at the same time

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

hahahaha! I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with Europe, so I can't pinpoint exactly which one it is.

I am sorry if I offended you with that.

My apologies.

-SES

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Accents makes me laugh, because sometimes the person with the accent does not even realize they have an accent!

That doesn't even make any sense.... are you saying the person talking doesn't know they are pronouncing words?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

You guys are cracking me up!!! You are dissecting my words like mad!

Thank you for making me smile.

What I mean is, sometimes people are so accustomed to the accent in their area, they don't realize that to outside people, they have an accent.

This can also happen to people who visit somewhere or move somewhere for a while, and then come back home, and the people back home tell the person they have picked up an accent from where they were.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

hahahaha! I'm sorry, I'm not too familiar with Europe, so I can't pinpoint exactly which one it is.

I am sorry if I offended you with that.

My apologies.

-SES

You didn't offend me.

But I just spent two weeks in Crete trying to speak Greek so I thought it was pretty funny. Even in England I can barely understand people that live less the 200 miles away.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
For some reason, whenever I'm talking to a southerner, I pick up the accent. I came back from Oklahoma with a bit of a twang lol.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

A European Accent!?!?!

Really!?!?!?!

Yup, there's such a thing: European Accent

Actually sometimes I can tell where someone is from on ATS from the syntax they use when they type in English ... also if their posts smell like Drakkar Noir.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

To Americans such as me, anyone from Europe does in fact have a European accent.

By the way, that is literally the coolest avatar I have ever seen.

-SES

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm from VA so I suppose I have a little of the southern accent. One time I was talking to a person from Brooklyn NY and they were going on about how extreme my accent was

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I love some U.S. southern accents. Other than that the only other accent that I really like is Scottish. Others are interesting but a man with a good voice and one of those two accents might have me hypnotised in a few words.

My own accent is weird, I think. I've lived in 5 different states from southwest, southern, northeast, west, and midwest.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So anyone in America would think that these people have the same accent?

Come on,,, this is ridiculous

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure she said "American such as me." Possibly, this means she is referring to people like herself...I'm going to assume that not all "Americans" are the same. Eh. What do I know? I'm just an "American."

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zoodie

I'm pretty sure she said "American such as me." Possibly, this means she is referring to people like herself...I'm going to assume that not all "Americans" are the same. Eh. What do I know? I'm just an "American."

Your right!

Sorry for replying to a gross generalisation with my own gross generalisation.

Shame on me..

(Can't find an embarrassed emoticon or I would use it)

<<   2  3 >>

join