It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS RSS Trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I click and I get

"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System does not support the specified encoding. Error processing resource 'http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/rss/16.xml'. Line 1, Position 43

"

Just thought I would let the staff know it doesn't work, for me at least.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:33 AM
link   
i have the same error message. i wonder what is wrong.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The RSS feed is XML formatted for view by an RSS reader. I just confirmed that the feed validates without trouble: feeds.archive.org/validator You need to subscribe to the feed URL: www.abovetopsecret.com... through an RSS reader.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What is RSS? Am I missing something, again?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Yeah, I'll second that question. This sounds like an interesting feature but I have no idea what RSS is or how to use it.

A quick explanation would be helpful!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
Yeah, I'll second that question. This sounds like an interesting feature but I have no idea what RSS is or how to use it.

A quick explanation would be helpful!

I also third that question. It would be helpful to put some sort of tutorial or create another thread in the "ABOUT ATS" series in the Website & Message Board Updates forum.

I myself would like to learn more about RSS, XML and other stuff along those lines.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hmm. Many are confused. Is the link going to work now then ?

[edit on 6/27/2004 by earthtone]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
To use the RSS links you have to use an RSS Reader sinstalled. Here is an into to RSS:
www.darwinmag.com...

...and a list of some RSS client software:
www.snapfiles.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Thanks for that spectre.

Does anyone have any recomendations of the best RSS feed to use?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
RSS Reeder Sidebar for FireFox...works Great...

extensionroom.mozdev.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the information and links spectre

I understand now. Looks like interesting stuff.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Spectre~~
Thanks for the information and links

Dreamlandmafia~~
thanks fo rthe recommendation.

Can I assume that is how some folks here stay on top of the news? Instead of hunting all over heck and back? The news comes to you?
What a concept!!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Thanks folks. I've got the Firefox sidebar installed with feeds from ats, bbc, reuters etc, it's exellent. My ats feeds work fine btw.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Can I assume that is how some folks here stay on top of the news? Instead of hunting all over heck and back? The news comes to you?
What a concept!!

Shhh!!! Don't tell anyone, but with the right rss feed you can be in 20 places at once. Just make sure and add anything good to ATSNN.

Originally posted by kegs
Thanks for that spectre.

Does anyone have any recomendations of the best RSS feed to use?

I use SharpReader. you don't need to have your browser open. It will give you a taskbar popup to announce new content (If you so desire), and it's free. Still there are many other free readers that are just as nice, and of course some low-cost programs that are better.

SharpReader in Action

[edit on 28-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
dbates, I tried downloading sharp reader. It downloaded and I could not figure out how to install it.
So, while I downloaded that neat RSS reader for Firefox, I am newless on my Avant/IE browser

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
dbates, I'll see your SharpReader and raise you one!

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
dbates, I tried downloading sharp reader. It downloaded and I could not figure out how to install it.
So, while I downloaded that neat RSS reader for Firefox, I am newless on my Avant/IE browser

You don't have to install SharpReader. You just unzip it and run it from whatever folder you put it in. You will need version 1.1 of the .NET fromework which is a free download. Read the SharpReader faq.

Very funny Spectre

[edit on 28-6-2004 by dbates]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I am using NewsMac. How do I add an ATS RSS Feed? It wants a URL in order to add a new RSS FEED. All I get is XML, whatever the hell that is.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ahh, now I see how you guys get the news stories out so fast. Man, I can't believe I didn't know about these. Fred T must have a PC dedicated to just running these programs

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by freudling
I am using NewsMac. How do I add an ATS RSS Feed? It wants a URL in order to add a new RSS FEED. All I get is XML, whatever the hell that is.

Copy the URL with the .xml file into the field that it asks.

I use RSSOwl a free open source reader.

www.rssowl.org...

top topics

join