It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down to earth UFO books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Are there any down to earth UFO books? No pun intended.
The reason I ask is because I want to read up on the subject. I've seen the documentaries and series like UFO Hunters and UFO Files. So now it's time for the books but I don't wanna waste my time with highly speculative stuff with sources like remote viewing, channeling and other stuff I think is new age. I've assembled a list and this is how far I've got:
Stanton Friedman - Top Secret / Majic
Stanton Friedman - Flying Saucers And Science
Richad Dolan - UFOs and the National Security State vol 1 & 2
Philip Corso - The Day After Roswell (Still not sure about this one)
Paul Stonehill - UFO Case Files of Russia
J Allen Hynek - The UFO Experience
Ivan T. Sanderson - Invisible residents (Still not sure about this one)
Timothy Good - Beyond top secret
Philip Imbrogno - Night siege: the Hudson Valley UFO sightings

Then there is a book called "The Black World of UFOs: Exempt from Disclosure" by Robert Collins.
But I've heard that he is a very controversial figure in the UFO field and sometimes he has been pointed out as a disinfo agent.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metallic Monk
Are there any down to earth UFO books? No pun intended.
The reason I ask is because I want to read up on the subject. I've seen the documentaries and series like UFO Hunters and UFO Files. So now it's time for the books but I don't wanna waste my time with highly speculative stuff with sources like remote viewing, channeling and other stuff I think is new age. I've assembled a list and this is how far I've got:
Paul Stonehill - UFO Case Files of Russia

Then there is a book called "The Black World of UFOs: Exempt from Disclosure" by Robert Collins.
But I've heard that he is a very controversial figure in the UFO field and sometimes he has been pointed out as a disinfo agent.

Since I was introduced to the subject of UFOs in 1957 I've read hundreds, of books about UFOs. You name it I've read it. One thing that becomes obvious soon after the first few books and that is that the authors are just reporting what happened to others so you are, in fact, reading hearsay and you realize that authors are just copying each other or the same material.

You enjoy some authors and you hate some authors. I enjoyed just a few among them Jacques Vallee, Phil Klass, Karl Pflock, James W. Moseley. Of the authors you name above I wouldn't bother with any of them except for Richard Dolan and he's not really an author, he's more of an archivist. All of the authors named above are ridiculous authors with Stanton Friedman depending on b.s. to make his money. I know that the less experienced (and most are believers anyway) will think I'm wrong in my criticism but who cares. Find out for yourself. You might agree with me or disagree.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Rupert Mathews book Alien Encounters, details in short form some of the pivotal cases of alien or UFO contact during the last centuary. He merely provides the witness reports, and provides an overveiw of the case, without any particular leaning based on his own opinions. He also compiles research works for teachers and students on more mundane issues, so his style is much less opinionated than you could expect from some authors who publish on the subject.
This book however could be considered to be a) quite small and b) perhaps to dry for some . That it isnt filled with ranting and steam blowing about how either believers are idiots, or the reverse, that doubters are all going to a hell the author probably doesnt believe in, it is a much more reasonably approached work than that, and contains little to no personal opinion. That I am glad of.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Metallic Monk

Metallic Monk.....

I would add the new book by Leslie Kean....."UFOs".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/461424e54f53.jpg[/atsimg]

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 11-10-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Added video

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

With a foreword by John Podesta. And the quote from Michio Kaku of all people just makes
me more interested. I think I'll look into it and probably read it.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I wouldn't recommend it particularly. It's almost all about the MJ-12 papers. Friedman tries to make the case that the docs are legit and authentic. IMO probably elaborate disinformation.

This one had a lot of rehashed material, so I wasn't that impressed, but I think it's actually a good book for someone just starting to learn about the topic.

Book 1 is very "down to earth". It goes over the important early history, and doesn't have a lot of nonsense, just straight up information and declassified files.

Book 2 has a lot more second hand info, but I still think it was an excellent book. It will make you think. It actually gives me bad dreams.

I read 90% of this one in a bookstore. IMO Corso knew some things, but the book really makes him out to be a god. It was entertaining but I wouldn't consider it essential reading.

Dry, but a classic.

I bought this book a few years ago and still haven't finished it. It's hard to read. But I do like the subject matter.

Haven't read Beyond, which is an update, but Above Top Secret is a very good book and worth buying.

Recommended ! I got this at a used bookstore for $5.

Originally posted by Metallic MonkThen there is a book called "The Black World of UFOs: Exempt from Disclosure" by Robert Collins.

This book i definitely on the "fringe", although I liked reading it. I saw a UFO Files talking about the underground cryogenic facilities under Wright Patterson, they were interviewing Collins, so I bought it. He did work at the Foreign Tech Division there. (That's rumored to be where a lot of the early UFO reverse engineering went on)

I believe the co-author Richard Doty is more commonly pointed out to be a disinfo agent. The guy did work for AFOSI. There are some pretty outlandish things in his section of the book, but I don't think everything he says is a lie.

Thanks to whomever mentioned the Leslie Kean book. I will check it out.

I also highly recommend the book "The Missing Times" by Terry Hansen. It mainly deals with the media's complicity in the cover up. There are just a lot of interesting things I learned. The CIA and govt have controlled the media for longer than I realized. You should read it too.

Oh another one I forgot. "UFO-FBI Connection" by Bruce Maccabee. Good book and mostly original info I haven't seen anywhere else.
edit on 18-11-2010 by Schaden because: add another book to recommend

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
An older book (1973), but a very good, levelheaded one is: 'Ufology, New Insights from Science and Common Sense' by James M. McCampbell. He examines the evidence and applies his considerable scientific knowledge to making sense of it. Covers most physical aspects of the phenomenon in detail, including; flight and propulsion, physiological effects on witnesses, UFO occupants, any many more. Not as well known as it should be. Ross

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Alien Adgenda by Jim Marrs was pretty good/scary/rational.
UFOs by Lesli Kean has documented sightings and rational ideas.
Once you start reading this stuff you will drive your family nuts talking
about stuff and never go to sleep with out a night light!
I read something yesterday on the Web and woundered what a EC
experience is....Does anyone know?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Paul Hill
books.google.com...:%22Paul+R.+Hill%22&dq=inauthor:%22Paul+R.+Hill%22&hl=en&ei=U-EXTdG2DcT68AbH1-yvDg&sa=X&oi=boo k_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCgQ6AEwAA

Then this one, an absolute classic and explains how the 'government view' of the time was actually very open-minded and they were working through many different ideas. Like most governments often the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and vice-versa. It's also interesting as you can see that the military was a lot more open about their operations at the time with the media, there is no way they would describe it so clearly these days.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
even though he has gone off the deep end recently, Steven Greer's "Disclosure" book is pretty decent. not all the testimonies are reliable and some of it is disinfo, but some of the witnesses like the pilots and astronauts have credentials that speak for themselves.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

In my opinion, the Cosmic Pulse of Life, by Trevor James Constable is the book you should check out. It is a 'classic' which was totally updated in 2010 to include the NASA UFO videos & basically it says that UFOs are not only constructed craft. They also include "down to earth" ...living spaceships that are a natural part of the space around the planet. There are infrared pics he took showing them throughout our skies. They are using a 'free energy', just as the constructed craft do, & the constructed craft are from another dimension. He puts out his case very well & it is, in my opinion, a valuable part of this UFO enigma...so go check it out.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
This is basically why I signed up to ATS today, to ask about books.

Last summer I had been getting heavy into online UFO documentaries, and pretty much exhausted every place I knew of with regards to newer and better material, so I wrote down the names of a few books mentioned in some of what I had watched by the likes of Leonard Stringfield, the Lorenzens, Hopkins etc, and headed down to the used book store downtown to see what they had to offer. I walked in, found the paranormal/UFO section, and saw that they were woefully lacking in anything on display, so I asked the owner if perhaps there was a different section I should be looking in for UFO material. He laughed, because it was entirely coincidental that I should have come in that day.

He then related to me that earlier that morning, a man from Cardston Alberta (capital of the Canadian Mormon belt) arrived and dropped off six boxes of his recently deceased father's book collection; three boxes full of Mormon literature, and three boxes full of rare and hard to find UFO-specific literature. For anyone who knows about the more 'secret' ideals of Mormonism, this might be extremely amusing to note. At any rate, the owner then told me he had no use for the religious material (apparently most of it could be obtained freely and wouldn't sell well) so he dumped them all at the salvation army.

He did, however, keep the three boxes of UFO books, and told me that, since he didn't have the time to catalogue them that day, let alone sort and price them, I could look through the boxes and have any book I wanted for $2. Every book on my list was in those boxes, and about a hundred more that I had first pick of.

I apologise if this breaks the tables, but here's the list of what I walked away with for $2 each:
[Author; Title; Publisher; Year; Actual value of book based on whatever online auctions I could find]

Adamski, George; Behind The Flying Saucer Mystery; Warner, 1974 (+?)
Adamski, George; Inside The Flying Saucers; Warner, 1974 (+?)
Berlitz, Charles; The Bermuda Triangle; Avon, 1975 (=)
Berlitz, Charles; The Dragon's Triangle; Ballantine, 1991 (=)
Blumrich, Josef F.; The Spaceships of Ezekiel; Bantam, 1974 ($19+)
Bondarchuk, Yurko; UFO Canada; Signet, 1979 (???)
Brookesmith, Peter; UFO: The Complete Sightings; Brown, 1995 ($10)
Condon, Edward U.; Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects; Bantam, 1969 ($20-$200)
Edwards, Frank; Flying Saucers: Here And Now!; Bantam, 1968 (=)
Edwards, Frank; Flying Saucers: Serious Business; Bantam, 1966 (=)
Emenegger, Robert; UFOs Past Present and Future; Ballantine, 1974 (=)
Fowler, Raymond E.; The Watchers; Bantam, 1991 (=)
Fuller, Curtis G.; Proceedings of the First International UFO Congress; Warner, 1980 ($10+)
Fuller, John G.; Incident At Exeter; Berkley, 1974 ($10+)
Fuller, John G.; The Interrupted Journey; Dell, 1967 ($20+)
Gatti, Art; UFO Encounters of the Fourth Kind; Zebra, 1979 (???)
Gaddis, Vincent H.; Mysterious Fires and Lights; Dell, 1968 ($15+)
Haisell, David; The Missing Seven Hours; Paperjacks, 1978 (???)
Hobana, Ion & Julien Weverbergh; UFO's From Behind The Iron Curtain; Bantam, 1975 ($10+)
Holzer, Hans; The Ufo-Nauts; Fawcett, 1976 (???)
Hopkins, Budd; Intruders; Ballantine, 1987 ($10)
Hopkins, Budd; Missing Time; Berkley, 1983 (???)
Hynek, J. Allen; The Hynek UFO Report; Dell, 1977 ($10+)
Hynek, J. Allen; The UFO Experience: A Scientific Inquiry; Ballantine, 1972 ($10)
Keel, John A.; Why UFOs; Manor, 1976 (+?)
Keyhoe, Donald E; Aliens From Space; Signet, 1974 ($1)
Landsburg, Alan; In Search of Extraterrestrials; Bantam, 1976 ($1)
Lorenzen, Coral E.; Flying Saucers, The Startling Evidence of the Invasion From Outer Space; Signet, 1967 (+?)
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim; Abducted!; Berkley, 1977 (+?)
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim; Encounters With UFO Occupants; Berkley, 1976 ($40)
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim; Flying Saucer Occupants; Signet, 1967 (+?)
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim; UFOs Over The Americas; Signet, 1968 ($10+)
Lorenzen, Coral and Jim; UFOs: The Whole Story; Signet, 1969 (+?)
Michel, Aimé; The Truth About Flying Saucers; Pyramid, 1967 ($15+)
Menger, Howard; From Outer Space; Pyramid, 1967 (???)
Osborn, Fairfield; Our Plundered Planet; Pyramid, 1970 (???)
Randle, Kevin D.; The UFO Casebook; Warner, 1989 ($1)
Rogo, D. Scott; UFO Abductions; Signet, 1980 ($5-$20)
Ruppelt, Edward J.; The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects; Ace, 1956 ($5+)
Sagan, Carl; The Cosmic Connection; Dell, 1975($5)
Sellier, Charles and Weverka, Robert; Hangar 18; Bantam, 1980 (???)
Steiger, Brad; Alien Meetings; Ace, 1978 ($1-$10)
Steiger, Brad; The UFO Abductors; Berkley, 1988 ($1-$10)
Stringfield, Leonard H.; Situation Red; Fawcett, 1977 ($20)
Vallee, Jacques; Anatomy of a Phenomenon: UFO's In Space; Ballantine, 1974 ($1)
Vallee, Jacques & Janine; Challenge to Science: UFO Enigma; Ballantine, 1974 (???)
Vallee, Jacques; Revelations; Ballantine, 1992 (???)
Von Daniken, Erich; Chariots of the Gods; Bantam, 1971 ($)
Walters, Ed & Francis; The Gulf Breeze Sightings; Avon, 1990 ($10)
Wilkins, Harold T.; Flying Saucers Uncensored; Pyramid, 1967 ($10)
Young, Mort; UFO Top Secret; Essandess, 1967 ($10)

If anyone could help me price out the value on some of the ones with (???), it would be greatly appreciated. Not because I'm going to sell them, but I'm trying to gauge their rarity.

So far I've read 'Encounters With UFO Occupants' and half of 'Missing Time' (being a full-time University student really puts a damper on any out-of-school reading) and I have to say, I think I really hit the gold-mine when it comes to UFO literature. I'm wondering if there's anything anyone could add to this list that I could seek out aside from what else has already been mentioned in this thread, and also this is for anyone who doesn't have any idea where to start, you could probably find any one of these books on eBay or abebooks and start your own massive collection.

But if you'll excuse me, I've got some reading to do.

EDIT: I realize some of these names are the least down to earth UFO authors ever (like Adamski lol), but regardless, a lot of these are pretty much classics of ufology.

Also, I wouldn't actually recommend reading this stuff if you enjoy sleep, because this is some scary #.

edit on 6-1-2011 by handen because: Preview wasn't working, so I posted it un-finished to see if tables broke, then finished writing in edit mode.

edit on 6-1-2011 by handen because: minor grammar fixes

edit on 6-1-2011 by handen because: added EDIT part

edit on 6-1-2011 by handen because: do i really have to fill this out every time?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Here are some good reads stay away from Whitley Strieber and Stan Romaneck you will find your way

The Alien Agenda by Jim Mars
www.amazon.com...
Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens- John E Mack
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294296739&sr=1-1
Missing Time - Budd Hopkins
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294296809&sr=1-3
Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience: The True Story of the World's First Documented Alien Abduction - Stanton Friedman
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294296380&sr=1-15
Night Siege: The Hudson Valley UFO Sightings- Dr J. Allen Hynek
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_22?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294296502&sr=1-22
Crash at Corona: The U.S. Military Retrieval and Cover-Up of a UFO-Stanton T. Friedman
www.amazon.com...=sr_1_36?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294296579&sr=1-36

reply to post by handen

Stay away from Adamski he is a shill. Hopkins and Hyneck are where you want to go, Segan has a good take on science but did not take the UFO subject very serious when he should have known better. Valle im iffy about i think he might be full o crap but he presents some good material. It's neat you have those 1960 and 1970's UFO books, i grew up on those. There are many cases forgotten in those older books that you will not find on the internet.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

top topics

join