It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACTA Anti-Piracy Treaty Not As Horrible as Feared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

ACTA Anti-Piracy Treaty Not As Horrible as Feared

torrentfreak.com

After years of secret negotiations the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) is as good as finalized. What was once feared to become a treaty that would give unprecedented powers to the global copyright lobby, has been watered down to a few pages of widely interpretable recommendations. First impressions reveal that not much will change with regard to file-sharing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.michaelgeist.ca

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well this appears to be good news. In it's earlier drafts ACTA had some pretty chilling and anti-consumer provisions that would have been felt well beyond the file sharing world. Now it's basically a few pages of non-mandatory guidelines they'd like countries to follow.
Though I still wonder how in the free world this was allowed to be drafted for years in secret.
It's nice to see that groups like the RIAA weren't able to get their way in this and export their terror around the world.

torrentfreak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

That said, individual countries are free to implement this and other measures on their own.

That's the clincher.

Lobbying those who can, and will, pay against those who, like here in Thailand, won't.

It's just another way of extracting money from those with it.

Might sound nice, but I promise you it's not.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Oh totally, places like the U.S. and Britain are going to go above and beyond ACTA, and while I'm not happy about that, it's preferable to a worldwide treaty, written in secret becoming mandatory.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this post NoArmsJames. It is so rare to find good news out there anymore, especially when it comes to politics and law. You made my day man! I'm going to slow down my 500GB worth of torrents that I've been downloading and free up some bandwidth since I don't have to worry so much any more.

join