It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweet revenge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Just something I was wondering...

Revenge is a harmful action against a person or group as a response to a real or perceived grievance

A friend of mine was driving me to the doctor a couple of months ago. While driving to the doctor we were discussing the fact if you should brake for animals crossing the road. I said that I would always try to avoid a collision even if that means I would have to wreck my own car.

His opinion was exactly the opposite. He argued that risking his own life over that of an animal is dumb and to avoid any incidents, if an animal is in front of you, keep your wheel straight and step on the gas....

"Fair enough.....but what if you are driving 15mph, through a residential area, with no cars behind you?", I asked.

"Nope, it is a rule of mine to never react to animals on the road. If they are dumb enough to sit in the middle of road than I should not have to feel guilty when I drive over them", he replied.

"But if you are driving at such a slow pace and you know there is no traffic behind you and you have the opportunity to avoid running over an animal but you still choose to run over it, wouldn't that be kinda similar to murder??", I asked

"Yeah, so....??", he replied.

Coincidently, while we were having this discussion, we were driving through a residential area with a slow pace with no traffic in sight. In front of us were two pigeons sitting in the middle of the road. Now would we not have had our discussion then he probably would have slowed down or signaled the birds to get out of the way but since he had a point to prove, he stepped on the gas and ran over one of the two pigeons.....dead.

With a smirk on his face he told me that that is the only way you should handle these matters. So I continued to explain to him that the choices you make in life are also the things you are going to be held accountable for. With other words, running over the pigeon wasn't necessarily a bad thing as long as he accepted the consequences that come with it.

He did not understand that part.

"What consequences are there, when you run over a pigeon? Will his family avenge his death on me? Will he haunt my dreams?", he laughed.

So I continued to tell everybody within our extensive group of friends about his cold blooded murder and his opinion about it. As a consequence he has not had a birthday or other social event without somebody bringing up his immoral act. Every time he is reminded about what he did and has to defend himself with excuses and flawed arguments.

When I asked him a few days ago if people were still going on about "that pigeon" he replied that he really didn't appreciated me telling everybody about what he did.

He now understand what I mean with "consequences".......

So my question is did you ever take revenge on somebody in such a manner that it actually made you feel good??

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
No replies......guess I'll argue with myself.

Operation Mindcrime,

Revenge is a reaction to a feeling of anger. It is an action based on your own set of morals and values..

How can you be sure that what you choose on being wrong/right is indeed that when you are judging somebody else??

Anger leads to fear. Fear leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering....or something like that.

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
What we do in factory farms is much worse.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jezus

Jesus,

For a reason, I am sure!

It makes a difference!!

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
So I continued to tell everybody within our extensive group of friends about his cold blooded murder and his opinion about it. As a consequence he has not had a birthday or other social event without somebody bringing up his immoral act. Every time he is reminded about what he did and has to defend himself with excuses and flawed arguments.

So my question is did you ever take revenge on somebody in such a manner that it actually made you feel good??

Sounds like he needs better friends.

edit on 30-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

ghaleon12,

I'll be d*mned.....you added value to your post. Congratulations!!!

edit on 30-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: The initial post this person made had only one line and had no other purpose, it seemed, then to insult. Or it was a really sad attempt at trying to be funny. Anyway, he added value to his post so I'll edit my reply accordingly

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
For the longest time I have witnessed the increase in dead animals on the road. I often have thought to myself that people are just not looking out beyond the hood of the car if they cannot see these animals, because if that were the case I, myself, would be hitting them as well. I do not hit animals with my vehicle, only once I had a flyby dove careen the windshield but that may have been wind or a very near-sighted dove. This post makes perfect sense to me! People murder animals on the road because they feel justified in doing so and they have disconnected from the loss of Life.

The fact is, Doves and Pigeons mate for life; it doesn't mean they cannot find another mate, it only means that they are so devoted as a partnership, that they will stay with each other to the end. A quality lacking in the human obviously!

This Pigeon likely will skip the next Season from being a productive member of its Species. It felt loss and it felt sorrow for that loss, most people deny the Animal Kingdom has this capacity, as if it is a Human Right and none other. They are so very wrong.

This past Fall, along my dog-walking route, I came across a duck lying dead in the road. The carcass showed a clean hit to the head as the body was still intact. To the side of the road stood her mate, he moved away as we neared but as we passed he went to her side and stayed with her. By the time I finished my walk and headed back he too was laying in the road dead (in the middle between the directional car lanes). The following day the bodies had been hit so many times that there was hardly anything left but the feathers that drifted down the road. It was sad and it was poignant in that the Love, the Devotion that these two felt for one another carried through them until the end. I was Blessed by this part, but I am cursed knowing my fellow human is a Monster in their hearts. I am beginning to believe now that people do see them, and that it is their pleasure to take such actions upon another Living Creature. Sick, really really sickening!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I agree that it is stupid to risk your own life, or the life of others over an animal in the road. I personally know people that have been killed in that manner. It is stupid. Now, in your example of a neighborhood, going slow, with plenty of time and room to react, then of course it would be murder to intentionally kill the animal.

Now as for revenge making us feel good???? OF COURSE!! I am a big fan of revenge! Yours sounds pretty harmless, educational, and satisfying, so congratulations.

Personally, I don't limit myself to only harmless, righteous revenge, I thoroughly believe in disproportionate response. It is a deterrent to most. Someone just recently asked me what I would do if a disgruntled tenant of mine decided to file a bogus child welfare complaint against me to be vindictive. I quickly informed them that the disgruntled tenant would be a missing person, and I instructed them to be sure and share my sentiment with anyone even considering such a foolish act They laughed, but I did not. Then I very seriously said, you will let them know right? It is for their own good!

Disproportionate Revenge!
If it can also be righteous and educational, that is a plus too!

CX

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Did i? Possibly.

However stories of the sweetest and most deserved revenge are often left untold...for good reason.

CX.

Edited to say, i wouldn't do what your friend did though. I've not met one animal yet that deserved revenge from a human. Now humans...thats another story.

edit on 30/9/10 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I am sorry, I need to respect the OP and his intent for this post, so I will post another thought.

You did the right thing by telling others, but I do not think this is "revenge", but more your own consciousness activated in "real-time" to bring about a "corrective action" towards a wrong. Your friend is wrong, fundamentally he might even be missing a few connective processes as a result of a misguided understanding of Life. He needs to be corrected and swiftly.

I also believe that as we face the Future of Mankind it is imperative that we all start recognizing what is right and what is wrong, and "activate" in our defense for what is right. We must all start calling out the criminal, the malicious, the mal-contented idiots of the World. We need to call them out! Otherwise there is no one to blame but ourselves.

I think the OP cares enough to stand up to this friend. I do not think he wishes the friend belittlement for the sake of the pigeon, but for the sake of Mankind! We all need to awaken this within us! We can become Warriors for the lesser and protectors of Life!

Cheers to the OP! S&F

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Didn't read your whole post but here in Australia if you crash your car by avoiding an animal insurance won't pay (I think) because the law says to simply run the animal over instead of swerving.

Myself though, I slow down even for birds on the road.

When I was at McDonalds yesterday there was a bunch of birds sitting on the ground and I waited in my car for 30 seconds for them to move. I'm pretty sure people were looking at me wondering why I didn't just run them over but all animals are as important as humans (in my opinion).
Doesn't mean I won't eat them though.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Trust is the foundation of all friendships. Now your friend is going to be afraid to tell you anything because he's going to think you will rat him out. Like you could care, animals are more important right?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sliceNodice

Rat him out?

If I have a friend, and they do something that is morally wrong, then as their friend I seek to help them change their behavior. If my influence is not enough, maybe I involve our other mutual friends. If it can't be corrected, if they refuse to change, or if they choose to avoid me because of the issue, then we will no longer be friends.

I have driven to a friends house, taken his dog away from him forcefully, and raised it myself. We weren't friends for a little while, but it eventually healed. I wasn't going to all the dog to be neglected and mistreated just because he was my friend. I wouldn't be friends with someone that is capable of doing such things intentionally. Maybe it was just a mistake, fine. We learn and move on, but if it is intentional behavior, then I choose my morals over my friends any day!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
You did the right thing by telling others, but I do not think this is "revenge", but more your own consciousness activated in "real-time" to bring about a "corrective action" towards a wrong. Your friend is wrong, fundamentally he might even be missing a few connective processes as a result of a misguided understanding of Life. He needs to be corrected and swiftly.

But what if I told people this story with the intend of achieving exactly the reaction he got? It could be defined as revenge, right?

You and I can agree that running over an animal for no other reason than to prove a point is wrong but we need to agree on this first before I carried out my revenge, if I take action based only on my own ethics things are bound to go wrong...

I also believe that as we face the Future of Mankind it is imperative that we all start recognizing what is right and what is wrong, and "activate" in our defense for what is right. We must all start calling out the criminal, the malicious, the mal-contented idiots of the World. We need to call them out! Otherwise there is no one to blame but ourselves.

Agreed......but "we" also include those same criminals, the malicious, the mal-contented idiots of the World......???

Peace

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Although we are no different from animals at the end of the day, keep in mind those birds would probably also run your friend over if he was their size and they were the ones in the car.

Nature is cruel.

edit on 30/9/10 by Nventual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Yep, added what you need to know just now.

It does sound immature to do that to a "friend". Might sound tough, but get over it and move on?

edit on 30-9-2010 by ghaleon12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

So do you feel that you did your friend "wrong" by taking revenge?

Such a thought would prevent someone from actively helping even if it hurts. This part I can recognize and respect, but these are not the times to remain complacent to our endearments. No friend can carry you though the Light when that day comes, only our own actions and deeds will be there for us, but as a friend you can set precedent once and for all. Unless of course you saw "opportunity" and took advantage by acting in revenge. If so you need to say you are Sorry, to your friend, and then make a choice about forgiving yourself for such a destructive method. This time you are right, this time revenge was sweet, but if it was revenge what happens next time? (I am speaking internally and eternally).

I wasn't judging you, personally I think Great Spirit stepped right into you and you were a tool for Goodness Sake! Even if you do not recognize it yet. One day further down the road your friend might reach his own moment of Forgiveness as he realizes this was a Sacrifice of Spirit. The Dove (which a pigeon is a Dove) was the instrument of Forgiveness and always was in the Hands of Great Spirit. Bitter and Sweet, we judge ourselves equally within! You were an instrument of this moment in his redemption, and your own, as these are "those Times" that are before us all on this Planet.

Blessings.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

Yep, added what you need to know just now.

It does sound immature to do that to a "friend". Might sound tough, but get over it and move on?

Wow!! You post a reply to my thread counting exactly one line in which you can only insult. Than you actually edit you post to put some content in it to make it appear as if you are really involved in the matter. And now you edit your post back to the one line insult that it originally was.......and you call me immature??

Now I would not sink to your level by pointing out the obvious but.....troll much??

Thanks for the intelligent input and the way you present it!!!

Peace

edit on 30-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: The ignorance presented by this man deserves a star!!!! Have one on me, tiger.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sounds like your friend is going thru a phase, heh. It reminds me of a phase I went thru. In college, whenever I would go to a fastfood restaurant with friends, I would leave my tray and garbage on the table when we were done, instead of taking them over to the trash bin. I would declare, "I pay to eat, not clean up after myself!" as my friends would look at me incredulously.

Anyhow, as I am expanding, I see things differently every day. The other day I was driving down the highway at 55 mph and I noticed a ladybug crawl up from my windshield wiper and cling to my windshield. I actually pulled over and put it on the side of the road. I just was feeling one with that little critter at the time.

Soooo, such an interesting story, this OP is. How are you dealing with the other aspects of it. There's the betrayal of your friend. How are you doing with that? That's kind of a deep thing, give us a trip report.

There's the suppression of the emotion of killing the bird. Instead of allowing him to just feel that, he's been made to suppress the energy of his emotion (and very likely transmute it into something different) as he's forced into the mental realm to defend his bird killing theorem ad nauseum. Sometimes we just need to stay in our heart and feel something, and we will learn the lesson in our time, and grow because of it. Now that he's off in the mental realm where nothing happens, who knows if he'll ever "get this".

There's some perverted Saviour Complex. We always think we have to stick our fingers in everyone's stuff, pushing toward an outcome that we want to see. Wrongs must be righted!!! Just go thru the experience with him. It was such a simple beautiful lesson. And by throwing the other crap into it, it got all complicated. You can't realize things for people. They have to realize things themselves. And by keeping things simple, realization comes easier.

And finally, I picture that pigeon's little spark of life leaving it's body and going to meet with it's animal group. "Great job" they say to him. He says, "Edna! She was supposed to stay and get run over too! But she chickened out and flew away. Oh well, I stayed and got killed. I hope it helps those guys. What's next? I think I want to be a badger next time around!"

edit on 30-9-2010 by ajkesh because: clarity

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'll be d*mned.....you added value to your post. Congratulations!!!

edit on 30-9-2010 by operation mindcrime because: The initial post this person made had only one line and had no other purpose, it seemed, then to insult. Or it was a really sad attempt at trying to be funny. Anyway, he added value to his post so I'll edit my reply accordingly....

Wow!! You post a reply to my thread counting exactly one line in which you can only insult. Than you actually edit you post to put some content in it to make it appear .....

Is this thread a level? Are you taking the piss? Or are you really seeing and reacting to all these "wrongs" by the thread repliers?

edit on 30-9-2010 by ajkesh because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2010 by ajkesh because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join