It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53
So it makes you wonder is this Nibiru?

Lol, WHY!

Nibiru is allegedly our TWIN sun.

Not 20 LY away.

God damn it people, stop playing serious..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There's a starman waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blew our minds...

These times are the most exciting times to live in. I am really sorry for people who cannot see the progress which is rapidly occuring before our eyes. As it was said - 2010 is a year of revelations and the year still has many days left to share its secrets.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

I do recall that news and have spent months trying to find out what happened. SETI never did a follow up to the report and media rarely mentioned it.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

How the hell did you make that assumption?

It's due to arrive in 2012 - this planet best speed up. Nibiru does not exist, my friend. If I did, an object that large would've been detected in our solar system decades ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Fantastic that you picked that up! I love a mind that pays attention to detail!

Perhaps emailing a professional in regards to that exact issue could yield some answers, if not, then at least some thoughts about the issue.

It most likely is just a coincidence, but an interesting one none the less.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Regardless of life being confirmed, this is still, hands down, the most exciting news I've seen on ATS in quite some time. Possibly even ever. Simply knowing that there is an Earth like planet in a habitable zone so close to our solar system, shows that there are probably many more out there. Even if life is not found here, (which I'm confident something will) it still leaves the other 99,980 light years worth of galaxy to pick through. This announcement, along with all of the other recent announcements have me giddy as a child the night before Christmas. Pair this news with the fairly recent news that a Laser like signal was seen on a SETI sweep in the SAME SOLAR SYSTEM.. Whew. Coincidental? I don't know, but I surely think it is unlikely. I'm not jumping the gun here, but this discovery brings a new breath of fresh air to the astrological and scientific communities. It is a promising discovery that may just end up being the greatest discovery we have made for quite sometime. If it is proven that life exists there, it's going to shake the world and a lot of belief systems up. A mass awakening for sure.

It will cleanse us of a lot of the troubles religions have posed. We will no longer be a species divided and fighting amongst each other.. We will be a species on our own, on this little rock, against the rest of the Universe. Not that we aren't already, but this might make people realize that we aren't as special as we'd like to think. This discovery could ultimately lead to many others concerning things we thought we already knew. It may even bring light to how WE got here.

One more thing to consider, to all of those people and to the scientists who are talking about life on this newly discovered planet. Life as we know it, is carbon based, and needs certain elements to survive. Life elsewhere could and most likely is different. There may even be non-carbon based life forms, or life forms that do not require oxygen or water to sustain. It is incredibly close minded to believe that our standard for life is the standard everywhere in this massive universe. Think outside the box.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by badw0lf

as people whom believe a space ghost named God gives a rats arse about them masturbating to thoughts of their neighbors wife.

Ha ha - lmao - best line I've heard in ages.
On topic - this find is really exciting and should lead the way to more funding and even greater discoveries - even if the planet just has microbial life it is a giant leap.
Just awesome

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I don't see disclosure coming in the sense of TPTB admitting that they have been deceiving everyone for all this time. I do however see them pushing out more and more bits of information like this out untill it is commonly accepting that aliens do infact exist elsewhere. Then they will probably move it up to more intelligent lifeforms on other planets. Then when the day comes where "Little grey men" come down to earth publically for whatever reason, TPTB can act all shocked and be like "Wow this is like totally the first time i've seen you guys!" and the aliens can act like earth is a new place to them. Just so the world can go on ticking as normally as possible, running on the fuel of deception.

/rant over

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Glad to hear others are as excited as myself about this.

Warm Regards,
Rajaten

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This reminds me of an eerily set of posts that appeared on ATS years ago, it was about how disclosure would occur.

1) Potential life within our solar system, microbes, discussed.
2) Water hypothesised on Europa or other liquids (methane seas on Titan)
3) Potential habitable life on an exoplanet
4) Life discovered elsewhere within our solar system
5) Intelligent life discovered.

That, was the five points an old ATS posted many years ago. Interestingly, three of them have come to pass.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
So a planet was found that exists within the the range of a star that is needed to sustain life... and we are impressed? Come on, with all the millions and billions of stars out there we knew this would be the case a million times over. Just because it can support life doesn't mean that it does however. Besides, having not read the article or anything, I would assume this star is a couple hundred or thousand lightyears away? So we will actually be able to check out this planet when?

..Right...

Everyone always things disclosure is coming to reveal that we have been in contact with aliens for decades and that it is a government coverup that prevents us from being aware of their presence.

I'd more expect that the conspiracy is to suck tax-payer dollars to fund expensive and pointless research into things that will never help humanity in the least while making up stories to keep people entertained and preoccupied with their sci-fi fantasies. It's all a ploy to keep you looking into space while they destroy the very planet we live on and make you pay for it all with your hard earned cash... but you'll do it willingly because of the hope in seeing something out there.

One of the best ways to get people to believe something exists is to swear up and down that it doesn't. How much of a show does the government put on to, in theory, hide the existence of aliens from us?

*Gets angry thinking about how much money was wasted shooting a nuke at the moon in the name of science.*

Yea, I'm not buying it... at least, not willingly (blasted taxes).

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

That's what I believe. I am convinced most (if not all) stable solar systems REQUIRE a binary star system.

It's the only way to keep us in orbit. Without a nemesis, I think we would be flying around like pool balls during the break.

It's all about balance in the Universe. So I think we have a sister star out there circling us to keep the planets in a stable orbit. Like a sheep dog. Just like Jupiter keeps the asteroid belt in place.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't really understand all the fuss, they where saying the same about Gliese 581 in 2007, I mean nothing new... Just same story with no confirmations. Back in 2007 they said that hopefully they would be able to have the technology to confirm their thoughts around about 2020...

2007 news

Or maybe not the same Gliese ?

EDIT : Ok not the same planet ... Anyways In 2007 the news didn't change much ... Why would it be different this time ...

edit on 30-9-2010 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-9-2010 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You know if that thread is still alive? Would be interesting to actually read it.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

I second that.

Any chance you know what this thread was called? Would be interesting to read that actual post, I believe you either way, I think I came across a similar post a long while back. I don't think the thought was an original one though, I could have sworn that I read it somewhere other than ATS as well.

Interesting that the first 3 have come to pass.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I am playing effing serious. Nibiru is not a second sun but a planet. Wormwood was that second sun.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

seriously you cant be that gullible? oceans inside europa have been speculated about since the 1970s. We discovered first exoplanets in 1995 and have since have been edging ever closer to earth-like planets as technology & observatories have improved. Microbes in the solar system have been speculated about for decades.

all he did was list the most obvious progression possible in terms of space discovery based on the information we already had. Unless he posted that list on ats in the 1950s? that would have been impressive.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

"Nibiru" does not exist.

Isn't Nibiru meant to be coming closer to us anyway? Well, I have a feeling this one will stay 20 million light years away for a long time to come, don't you think?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

I'll go searching through the archives.
This is from 2003 (I believe)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I love waking up and reading interesting breaking news. It was only a matter of time until they found habitable zone planets and maybe now they will start checking the stars closest to us. One would think that would be common sense? Start with the stars closest to us and work away from our solar system? Then again, I'm not a scientist.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join