It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun registry survives Commons vote (Canada)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This just in...

MPs have voted 153-151 to save the gun registry, with enough New Democrat MPs voting with the Liberals and Bloc Québécois to scrap a Conservative private member's bill aimed at killing the 15-year-old federal program. www.cbc.ca...

Good! You'd think the plan is to disarm hunters and farmers. More Tory scare tactics, but a peculiar choice of hills to die on. (metaphorically speaking)

edit on 22-9-2010 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

By keeping the registry like they voted to do, they are trying to disarm us. I also heard the person who created the registry years ago stated that only police and military should be allowed to own guns. So the registry just seems like a failed attempt to disarm us all (a costley failed attempt). The liberals were not even allowed to vote as their constituents wanted them to. Seems like a sad day for Canadian Politics when MPs are not even allowed to vote as they see fit! Although the bright side is that Harper says he will keep pushing to abolish the registry. Asfar as I'm concerned, I should be able to own a gun without the government knowing about it and without having to feel like a criminal.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is another example of failed Canadian politics.
As long as we keep kissing the behind of the USA we are going to continue to "feel the breeze".

There really is no value in the registry. I have guns, legal registered guns, a license and properly store said weapons. How is my legally registered and stored firearm helping to reduce gun crimes?

Once again the government shows us that the "party" system of politics simply doesn't work. It's days like this that It is disappointing to be Canadian.

..Ex

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by (C2C)
I should be able to own a gun without the government knowing about it and without having to feel like a criminal.
How you feel is your problem. Registering a firearm is not tantamount to having it confiscated...that's just Tory fear-mongering. Conservative-types tend to respond well to that.

Like I read..."If I have to register my cat, you can resister your freakin' gun"

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Like I read..."If I have to register my cat, you can resister your freakin' gun"

Now that's funny!! How will the govt. rationalize cat seizure when the time comes to create an army of cats to defend unarmed Canadians against an armed threat from abroad?

Don't worry Canada, you don't need your guns if these guys will defend you!!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Bad news!

And not because I think they are trying to disarm me!

"Cost overruns
The registry again became a political issue in the early 2000s when massive cost overruns were reported.

In December 2002, the Auditor-General of Canada, Sheila Fraser, reported that the project was running vastly above initial cost estimates. The report shows that the implementation of the firearms registry program by the Department of Justice has had significant strategic and management problems throughout. Taxpayers were originally expected to pay only $2 million of the budget while registration fees would cover the rest. In 1995, the Department of Justice reported to Parliament that the system would cost $119 million to implement, and that the income generated from licensing fees would be $117 million. This gives a net cost of $2 million. At the time of the 2002 audit, the revised estimates from the Department of Justice were that the cost of the program would be more than $1 billion by 2004/05 and that the income from licence fees in the same period would be $140 million."

Source

As shown in the following report from Statistics Canada, gun related deaths have been on decline since before the registry was enacted, and have followed an almost linear pattern before and after the registry came into effect. That leads me to believe that the gun controls in place prior to the registry were satisfactory.

Deaths involving firearms

In my opinon, this registry should be scrapped on the basis that it can't prove it's effectiveness vs the costs involved.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I'm so glad to see another billion + dollar's going to this program that has saved so many lives and prevented criminals from wielding gun's like it's still the wild west
**end sarcasm**

What a pity, I was really hopping our politician's weren’t as dumb as they look. I can think of a lot of really good ways to spend that money.

Any Albertan's remember that time we all got $400 for nothing... that was awesome, gun registry sucks give us the money. However now that I think about it I was in High School when I got that money and I’m sure it went to something they spend equally as much on trying to prohibit as they do enforcing this gun registry.

GummB

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

possibly the funnist comercial I've ever seen
awsome

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
In my opinon, this registry should be scrapped on the basis that it can't prove it's effectiveness vs the costs involved.

Seems to me that the major costs have been expended, so why scrap it now? If the infrastructure is in place, use it. If it needs to be tweaked, then do so.

As far as boondoggles go, it makes a lot more sense that 9-16 billion for F-35s.

top topics

join