It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bell officials arrested as prosecutors are set to file criminal charges [Updated]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, looks like we have a beginning to the problem of our government. Time to start filing criminal complaints against the rest of them. Tell me, would we have enough prison cells for the politicians if we let all the non criminals out of jail? You know, the ones where there are no victims?

I think if we arrested everyone in government that deserves to be in prison, we would need a few more prisons built.

Bell officials arrested as prosecutors are set to file criminal charges

At least eight city of Bell officials were arrested Tuesday morning, a source said, as L.A. County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley prepared to announce criminal charges in the municipal salary scandal.

[Updated at 10 a.m.: Former Bell City Manager Robert Rizzo, whose high salary sparked the outrage that led to the investigations of the city, was among those arrested in the sweep. No details have been released, but a source not authorized to speak publicly about the case said that Rizzo; former Assistant City Manager Angela Spaccia; Mayor Oscar Hernandez; Councilmembers Luis Artiga, Teresa Jacobo and George Mirabal; and former Councilmembers George Cole and Victor Bello were among those arrested.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I understand the salaries were exorbitant, but how can it be criminal? If they voted in the salaries, and the residents didn't complain, and they did their duties for their office, and the townspeople were satisfied, how can someone step in and decide it is criminal?

Tax evasion is criminal and it gets you cabinet appointments! Lying under Oath is criminal, and it gets you book deals and speaking tours.

I'm always glad to see politicians get what they deserve, but if they did everything by the book and the town approved, then I don't see the issue?

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

From the article-

Cooley filed charges against eight Bell officials Tuesday, alleging that they misappropriated $5.5 million in public funds. Rizzo has been charged with 53 counts of misappropriation of public funds and conflict of interest.

The Times reported last month that Rizzo was set to earn more than $1.5 million in 2010. Additionally, he gave loans totaling $1.6 million to more than 50 city officials, including himself.

Oh, I think they have some things on them.

As for the things you mentioned, yeah, the bigger the crook you are, the higher you go!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I love the fact that they actually look like Hoodlums! LOL

I especially loved the details of how the Mayor refused to open his door and the police had to use a battering ram to get him! LOL

Although, I do believe that outside intervention is needed here. There is a conflict of interest that the Chief of Police was not arrested and that the Attorney General that is actually running for the Governor's seat is his friend. The Assistant DA or another DA from LA needs to offer some outside help. Too many are involved and too many are "too near" this case to make it impartial and fair in the assessment process. I would suggest the FBI, but Eric Holder lets illegals break the law and turns a blind eye to Terrorism!

As for voting things in as a "sucker punch", it will not work this time, they intentionally did this with disregard to the people! It is not our job to watch them, it is our job to comply and "work with" our City Officials and hope they know better by being someone that runs for any Government Seat to be in it for "The People". Obviously these are Crooks, but I still will await the final verdict. I imagine some heads are going to roll and I just do not trust Jerry Brown at this point as a result! His political expectations will cloud his judgment!

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I see this as another "tea party" like event where citizens get accountability and start to take back power from those that have/are taking advantage of a public that has been sleepwalking far too long.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is much, much more common than we would think.

I bet the only reason their being arrested is because one of the District Attorney's " friends" wants to run for Mayor.

Oldest political trick in the book. If you can't beat em, kill them or have em impeached.

posted on Sep, 21 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Bell was an early "amnesty" city for illegals and they came - by the thousands. If I remember correctly it was somewhere around 94% latino with 1/3 being illegals. Bell has been plagued by nepotism and impropriety from the city manager, to city council to the police chief.
They're broke (no kiddin !
) and it's about time somebody stepped in to sweep out the pests that have infested city hall. I hope they all rot in jail and have their bank accounts seized and returned to the public coffers.
This will probably get 24/7 coverage on FOX, given their anti-illegal leanings.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I have yet to see this much on the MSM.

IMO, this SHOULD get 24/7 coverage. It shows the corruption prevalent in our government.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If the Town Manager is crooked then you got trouble. The TM should be elected by the people. I was doing video of "open" town council meetings and uploading that to the net. All 3 towns asked me to leave. To keep them honest there should be "open to video" in all govt facilities.
edit on 9-2-2011 by SpectateSwamp because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join