It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photograph of Indonesian undead? The walking corpse of Toraja.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So she was dead or let me say pronounced dead, then buried alive and found like this? Is that why her Hair is so friggin' long??

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

I believe it was a real person but made to look like a zombie in photoshop. It can be done real easily. I mean to me the hair looks way too fake. It doesn't seem natural.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Pet Cemetery anyone? Never a good idea to bring someone back from the dead. But seriously I believe in a lot of weird things but waking up a dead person to have them walk to their own funeral...not so much.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by stephanies-chase

Yeah, after contemplating this thread I've added "dying in Indonesia" to my list of stuff I will never do.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by One Step Beyond...

Very interesting. I wonder though, is thatthe same black magic that the elites use? or does everyone possess a different version of black magic? also black magic is evil, so is what they do evil or is more like white magic which is love/light that raises the dead?

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Too bad there aren't BS flags on ATS as there are on GLP.

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...
Zombies, walking corpses and the power of giving life to the dead are things from fiction, right? Well, what do you think about this picture?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdeb0e45e238.jpg[/atsimg]

From what I could find, this picture was first present in this indonesian blog mamasa-online.blogspot.com... wich talks about a personal story involving the walking corpses of Tojara, Indonesia. But only recently the picture is gaining attention, making presence in many blogs and forums with the following text:

Only in Indonesia (especially Toraja), a corpse is usually being
carried up to the grave, but in Toraja, the corpse is woken up letting it
walk to its grave (is rarely performed anymore)

The corpse is woken up using black magic. This is done because in Toraja
the graves/cemetries is placed above limestones mountains.

The corpse walks by itself, and its guided by an expert in black magic behind it.
But there is one prohibition, the corpse shouldn’t be appointed, once pointed,
the corpse falls down and isn’t able to walk again.

Curiously, a website about turism in Indonesia give more depth to the history:

To Make a Dead Man Walk

In times past, when the villages of Tana Toraja were still extremely isolated and difficult to visit, it is said that certain people had the power to make a dead man walk to his village in order to be present at his own funeral. In this way, relatives of the deceased were spared the necessity of having to carry his corpse. One particular area, Mamasa ? West Toraja, was particularly well-known for this practice. The people of this area are not strictly speaking of the same ethnic group as the people of Tana Toraja. However, outsiders often refer to them as Toraja Mamasa. In many ways, the cultures of the two groups are similar, although they each have their own distingushing characteristics. In particular, the style of wood carving of the two groups is different.

According to the belief system of the people of Mamasa, the spirit of a dead person must return to his village of origin. It is essential that he meet with his relatives, so that they can guide him on his journey into the after-life after the ceremonies have been completed. In the past, people of this area were frightened to journey far, in case they died while they were away and were unable to return to their village. If someone died while on a journey, and unless he has a strong magic power, it would be necessary to procure the services of an expert, to guide the dead person back to the village.

This is not intended metaphorically-the dead person would be made to walk from wherever he had journeyed back home, no matter how far away that was. The corpse would walk stiffly, without any expression on his face, in the manner of a robot. If anyone addressed the dead man directly, he would fall down senseless, unable to continue his journey. Therefore, those accompanying the deceased on the macabre procession had to warn people they met on their path not to talk directly to the dead man. The attendants usually sought out quiet paths where the procession was less likely to meet with strangers. These days, the practice of walking the dead back to their place of origin has fallen out of currency.

Good roads now connect the villages of Tana Toraja, and people tend to rely on more conventional means of transportation for bringing bodies back home. The ability to bring the dead back to life has not been entirely forgotten, however. Sometimes, even now, the deceased is made to continue breathing and seems alive until all his relatives are gathered around him.More commonly, the skill is practiced on animals. At a funeral ceremony, when a buffalo has been sacrificed and its head separated from its body, the body is made to get up and walk for as long as ten minutes. A demonstration of this sort proves to the audience that the ability to bring the dead back to life has not entirely passed from the community.

Now I ask you ATS, what you think about the picture and the history of the Torajans? Hoax? Photoshop? Misunderstanding? Scientifically probable? Historically accurate?

Sincerely I don't know what to think of it, I think the picture is real but doesn't show an undead but yes a corpse standing up due to bones and muscular rigidness but I really don't know, I am no forensic expert.

Related websites:
mamasa-online.blogspot.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.incitoprima.com...
mysteriesunsolvedstory.blogspot.com...
vahn-saryu1.blogspot.com...
message.snopes.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
she looks malnourished, infected with some type of disease, i do not believe she is a walking corpse, such things are in movies and video games, not real life, her muscles would have degraded to the point she wouldnt be able to move or even stand. to reactive her brain would require very advanced technogly which we human do not possess.

This picture proves a point though, ATS members have trouble in knowing what is real and what is fantasy, a simple flaw in our species that seems to becoming more of a probelm by each passing day.

Not only are you being minipulated by mainstream media, but it would seem ATS is no better, what is real and what is fake does not seem to be an issues see as many members prefer makebelieve then reality.

Reasoning of cause :lack of intellgence among our community, thus my membership may be terminated if this probelm continues to grow.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Anthony1138

This picture proves a point though, ATS members have trouble in knowing what is real and what is fantasy, a simple flaw in our species that seems to becoming more of a probelm by each passing day.

I hope you are speaking for yourself here Anthony because as you can see by reading replies, other than a few claims of leprosy, most ATS visitors did not accept the "walking dead" explanation and said it was a corpse taken out of it's box and stood up. This should be heartening news to you.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Knew right away that it was a hoax the moment I looked at the picture, and saw what appears to be an actual corpse, or a fake corpse; reason being: If the corpse was being taken to its final resting spot, the corpse wouldn't look as if though it had already been 6 feet under for a long period of time. If this was an actaul case of black magic, assuming such a thing even exists, and such a procedure of walking the dead exists under this so called black magic, then that corpse would look still very much alive, oppsed to very much dead. Peace.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

I don't care what sites you visit, you are going to find that there are people that are intelligent and people that are not. Like someone else said, most of the replies don't believe that this is a real "walking dead person." What bothers me about ATS is people who complain about ATS but still come to ATS. I'm sure you a regular "genius" so why waste anymore time being bothered by the likes of us on ATS who just "annoy" you with our "ignorance." You should terminate your account right away.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Probably some disease she has.

Don't forget, this is the internet, you're bound to fall for anything you see that you don't understand.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Anyone who says that it's leprosy or a photo shopped fake... Why don't you actually go and research before posting?

It's a real corpse. It seems that they are preparing the corpse for transfer. The whole stand up and walk thing may be probably symbolic, since the corpse can stand with minimal balancing.

Look at these three pictures (the same guy that is with the female corpse can be seen in these three pictures.

The first photo shows a disrobed corpse (in shorts only), that is standing.

1.bp.blogspot.com...

The next photo shows the the same corpse (look at the head and right arm position) being basically held up by the guy in some warmer clothing. I'm guessing corpses, after they decompose, are rather light and can be lifted with ease. Look at the feet of the corpse. They are angled, if the corpse tried to walk, the feet would probably break off due to the angle. Again, it's being held up (symbolic).

4.bp.blogspot.com...

The last photo shows another angle of the same guy with his corpse. The guy almost seems to be mugging it up for cameras.

i188.photobucket.com...

To me, it's probably a real ritual with real corpses. Once a family can afford to properly bury their dead. The corpses are then unwrapped, stood up (symbolic, they don't literally walk), and redressed and brought to the new burial site.

edit on 19-9-2010 by squidboy because: Fixed Photo Link error

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Step Beyond...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fdeb0e45e238.jpg[/atsimg]

What I see in this picture is what appears to be a Mummified corpse. At the bottom right there is a coffin with a make shift pillow out of old clothing maybe. Most likely they have taken this Corpse to be related to mysterious evil spirit problems so they are cleansing it with the intent of reburial after the ritual.

edit on 19/9/10 by Shadowed because: needed to add something

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

You took the words right out of my mouth. No video either.That camera on the left side of the pic looks pretty advanced, so maybe there is a video- somewhere.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Who the # would take a corpse out after she has been buried and parade it around for a camera?...And then play around so people can see that she actually has some life to her? ...What do they take them out every couple of weeks to clean them in that part of the world?...Its all for show...and lets hope she is dead, and not still in the trance of some drugs....either way leave the dead in there coffins..... Its all a show put on by somebody in that village...hence the cameras, were there are cameras there is a show, or people posing for a show, so lets all hope she is actually dead.....I wonder if there is a vid of this not just a picture, to see it more clearly and in action.

And zombies are real, you want to see some go to your local political rally...Or were the crack heads and meth heads hang around on the streets...Take a good look at them don't they look like zombies....hrrr me wants drugs, oops I mean me wants brains......... Kind of hard to believe that there are things out there that could make a human turn in to this no.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I actually tried to look for this vid since somebody out there should have the vid of this exact event, or else whats the point of bringing the camera to a show...But couldn't find it...But found one from Haiti which seems to be the same premise/practice show done by these medicine men or witch doctors...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Your reply gave me the slight impression that you only read the thread's title and after seeing the picture jumped to conclusions not giving a damn to, at least, some of the "starred" posts. If you don't know, more than the opening post, a thread is based on the replies it gets, in the discussion and in the different point of views of each member. For example, you missed information about a different cultural aspect of a rather interesting indigenous group of Indonesia. You missed funny remarks regarding the probability of real undeads that could have given you a quick laugh. You missed information about black magic, body conservation, tetrodotoxin and whatever more you might find interesting to read even if only fiction.

You missed a whole lot of information because you thinks you are too inteligent to know more about things. When I was in school I had a teacher who always said: "Knowledge is the best thing you will have on your entire life. The more you know about things the more capable you are." And you, for some reason, seems to have all the knowledge in the world.

So, my friend, I hope you really terminate your account because your "almighty inteligence" will not be missed in the community, at least not by me.

Thanks.

PS: Do not rant on my thread, you have a place for it here: BTS/Rant

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

This is just a guess...

This picture reminds me of pictures I saw in a medical journal, some years back, of leprosy.

My thoughts were along the same lines. This seems like some one more with a terrible disease such as leprosy, than it does a zombie...

My two cents is that it is some one with a really bad skin disease, and lots of people who are letting personal, religious, spiritual feelings getting in the way of science. A misunderstanding if you will.

The closest we can really get to making a dead person move around, is hooking it up to electrodes and shocking it. The muscles tense and contract that way and move... But it is not intelligent at all.. Just a reaction of the muscles receiving electric shock.

Now I don't know if what she has is leprosy or what, but she is not a zombie. She has some kind of terrible skin condition.

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm going to echo Grimnal and StealthyAura and say this reminds me of the Wes Craven film from the 80's "The Serpent and The Rainbow"...........

posted on Sep, 20 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
why did someone delete my pictures.
i thought it was funny as.

HOLLYWOOD AS!!!

edit on 20/9/2010 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join