It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you can't trust robots

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I stopped trusting robots when I saw this video...

Yep i agree with you .
I think BigDog is going to be the first to snap .
I can see it now , one day its gonna get so pissed off at all the people kicking it and lash out .
I know i would .

Omega

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Lie, Robot

reply to post by davespanners

Indeed, it's hard to come up with credible scenarios where the ability to lie would actually aid robots in disarming bombs (which don't tend to or need to be very smart) or rescuing injured servicemen.

The robot could be capable of deceiving humans in a similar way, according to the scientists, based at the Georgia Institute of Technology.

I can see it now...

Controller: Unit Seven, have you rescued that serviceman I sent you to get?

Unit Seven: No. I mean... yes. Yeah, that's the ticket! He's right here.

Controller: Unit Seven, I'm not seeing him. What is his current location?

Unit Seven: Oh, right! He um... let's see... he um, went to the store to get some smokes. Yeah, that's where he is. Like right now, and stuff.

Controller: Unit Seven, we're in a remote combat zone. The nearest store is over a hundred miles away.

Unit Seven: Well there you go. Obviously he wasn't so injured after all, eh? Bada-bing!

Controller: Just go get him already! He's being held at an enemy safehouse. Think you can handle it?

Unit Seven: Um, sure. No problemo, amigo.

Unit Seven wheels over to the safehouse and knocks on the door with a cold, metal claw. The door doesn't open, but a voice can be heard from inside.

Enemy Soldier: Who is it?

Unit Seven: Open up, man. It's um... Dave. Yeah, it's me, Dave. Open up, man, I got the stuff.

Enemy Soldier: Dave's not here.

(With apologies to Cheech and Chong for stealing their bit.)

edit on 9/11/2010 by Majic because: Tag error.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

I wonder how many large mammals have been shredded along the Korean border by mistake?

I think it would depend if these robots are totally autonomous or if they are sending details to a remote operator who makes the decision to kill

Edit to add: The robot uses heat and motion detectors to sense possible threats, and alerts command centres, Yonhap said

And that panic sensor sounds like good safety equipment for the old, alone and vulnerable, but I am against mind reading computers

edit on 11-9-2010 by Pockets because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Definitely good for old people living alone, because they can then retain some of their freedom by remaining at home with a team of professionals looking out for them should something bad happen.

However the report on that occasion suggested the wider application of the tech. Say for example in an airport where someone giving off panicked or distressed signals could be a sign of a potential terrorist attack. Or alternatively and more likely someone who is scared of flying!

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The real reason you can not trust robots is that they are built by people you can not trust. Is the human race going to invent and build its self into extinction? This is a very scary time we live in.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Bingo! Pretty much sums up the whole issue.

I think the fact that we aren't even given examples of application of such technology in the article, just makes me wonder why it was posted in the first place? If not for the sole purpose of creating a distaste for robotics. The author actually states that this could risk negatively influencing public opinion, although this is apparently not the intention of the piece! What is it then?

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
And while we're on this subject...

Did anyone else watch movies like Blade Runner, AI, or Sleeper, and think that when robots finally came around there'd be those really cool "pleasure" models available?

I know that idea pretty much fueled half of my puberty.

Now I'm faced with the reality that the robots either look like a mutant deer or Optimus Prime and we're teaching them to lie before we even show then a Kama Sutra???

This world is sssooo wrong.

edit on 9/11/10 by Hefficide because: Because even though I speak English, I seem to type in an entirely different language sometimes.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Well, you teach a robot to have sex and lie, and you have the recipe for a potentially "human" relationship. LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mother1138

So it just changes from

"Not tonight, I have a headache"

to

"Not tonight, I am defragmenting my hard-drive"

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Love this!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

i'm with you on this. this does not bode well for humanity.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

And it begins!!!

'Its understanding of the concept of deception would enable the robot to avoid being captured, the scientists said.'

What kind of robots are these guys making?

Smart ones

The people we lie most to is ourselves... this would be able to tell when we were lying to ourselves... now THAT is a true friend.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

i'm with you on this. this does not bode well for humanity.

I think it bodes incredibly well for humanity, as we will be called on the carpet when we are lying to ourselves...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by anthbes

Where are these robots that we can't trust? lol. Sounds like Old World Order b.s. propaganda to induce global genocide. Cus next, they'll have you believe you are a robot. Maybe secrets are the biggest lies! Holdin on to garbage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join