It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what Mr president has to say about the koran burning

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
As a operation of the 1st amendment, I have to agree with the right of this moron to do this stupid thing.

But what I don't agree with, is the media attention it is getting, This is one time that there should be a media blackout, voluntary of course.

I think that the media is promoting this more than it needs to be. I think in fact that this is getting so much media attention that the media would be more at fault than this idiot pastor is.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Agencies like the FBI, the CIA, NSA subvert the constitution every single day. Obama, Petraeus and how many others have condemned this guys actions. Talking about retaliation from the Muslim - putting our troops in danger (no irony there), suicide bombings in America, etc. If this guy is such a threat, and they REALLY wanted to stop him, then they would stop him.
This isn't about whether or not anyone has a right to stop him. What makes anyone think that they've done an about face and now suddenly care about anyone's rights in this country? This can potentially cause a major sh*tstorm and they know it. Again, if they truly wanted to stop it they would. They won't because they want him to do this thing. And it would not surprise me one bit if one of those traitorous black-hearted alphabet agencies put him up to it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge
[
Listen to Obama's words, "if the burning takes place, then we could see people blowing them-selves up in American cities..". In other words, think twice before offending muslims.

Think about it, drawing cartoons of mohammad, writing books criticizing islam or anything else perceived to be against islam is forbidden and could get you killed. This is meant to instill fear in the world so that in the future no one could question islam and its teachings.

Well said.
You can argue that the guy is a jerk for doing this.
But unless they start preventing Muslims being similarly offensive, I would say the authorities have shot themselves in the foot and can't touch him.
In the UK we already seem to have different standards. It's political correctness gone mad.
If the local Muslims get all riled up to the point of threatening murder, sling the book at them (after it's been burned of course :lol

edit on 9-9-2010 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"Why the msm latches onto these stories is pretty pathetic."

Keeping the masses fighting with each other by manipulating them is what the media does best. If this jerk off wasn't getting all this news coverage, do you really think this would even be an issue? When was the last time you saw somebody who does something positive for society get all this publicity? This is nothing but bait for the extremists. Let's see if they bite.

Secondly, this asswipe is being used to take attention away from those who are calling for a new 9/11 investigation and questioning the official fairy tale. Looks like they're killing two birds with one stone here.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Out of the box but what if the US pastor is actually trying to get the truth about 911 out?
Either come clean or I'll burn. Koran?
I'm starting to have serious suspicions about this now. Why doesn't Obama just call?

I personally think that a figure that represents the church will NOT do this. Could this be all part of a carefully orchestrated plan?

Come on people something is not right here.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

mr obama needs to keep his mouth shut and let the dude do whatever he wants.

that priest reminds me of reverend wright and noone seemed to care about what hes said and done.
that priest reminds me of louis farakan and noone seemed to care about what hes said and done.

wether people agree with what he wants to do in burning koran NOONE has the right to stop him or even try to stop him....

greatest piece of advice from my generration the older generation- when you dont like something or someone - DEAL WITH IT.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I do not understand how anyone can defend this man and his proposed actions. What will the net result be? Our troops in even more danger? More people hating us? Then what?

I understand that whole "Tell us not to offend Muslims or we will get hurt? Screw that!" But what is this really about? Does anyone need to burn a book? Will burning a book help anyone anywhere with anything? Will anyone gain anything from burning this book?

Do I care if Muslims get offended? No. Do I care if troops are in even more danger? You bet. Just like I care about how hated I am just for being born in the US because of how the US is perceived. This argument is a lot like someone saying "I was told that if I call that guy an ass, I better watch out because he will beat me up. Well screw that, it is my right to call him an ass so now I am twice as determined."

It just makes no sense to do this. Now if someone said "Hey, do not go shopping because it might offend Muslims" then I would be right there with you but I do not see what positive there is to be had in burning a book at all so when the only outcomes are all negative for everyone as well as people that had nothing to do with it, why do it?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I agree that he certainly has the right to perform this rather misguided act. However, I believe that his act is not only ill-conceived, but violates the beliefs of most Christians that one should be kind to others, and respect others beliefs, as long as they don't do harm to others.
Again, we are not at war with Islam, but rather the frauds that guise themselves as Muslims. I don't believe that true Islam condones killing innocent human beings.
Skip the burning of the Koran, and examine your own conscience, pastor! I think you need an attitude adjustment.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
He sounds like the worst of christian fundamentalists.
The only good thing to come of this is that it will show up the worst of Islamic fundamentalists.
Unfortunately their 'worst' will be a darn sight worse than a bit of book or flag burning. The usual nutters will be out in force.
I do hope he has life insurance.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

its mutual respect there man whether or not its this guy not being "respectful" to islam

or if its that imam in new york and his mosque neither on is respectful.

right now in this country christianity is shunned with this being more proof of that statement and the majority of americans get on their knees for islam.

its like OH NO. please dont offend the poor little muslims.

every single day the hatred and vitriol for christians,bible thumbers,jesus freaks.....

BUT not one negative thing has ever been said about islam or mohammed and if you do say anything "bad" they will kill you.

if you look at christianity vs islam and what do you really want in this country well its christianity because you can always scream seperation of church and state.

now if islam takes a bigger control and continues to grow a bigger base here in america. think agian all those vices we all love just so much will be gone.

this dude to me hes just playing a role on the larger world stage that not everyone will get on their knees for islam.

the islamists want be like you all to be submissive to use the left to stop people like him so that they can impose their beliefs on us all.

to the other dude saying us troops will be in more danger/ HOW MUCH danger you think they all have been in for the past 9 years.

that is exactly like saying all muslims hate us because of gwb which is bs because of all the embassy bombings and uss cole and first world trade center and 9-11.

simple fact they do hate us and have hated us for decades and a koran burning wont change that.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm hearing on CNN Obama is planning to call the the Pastor.
I have a question? Does anyone think others are already burning the book and filming it for youtube this Saturday?
I wonder if others are planning their own burning but keeping it low key for now?
Wouldn't it be funny if the Pastor changed his mind but Saturday we see others who burn the books?

sl

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'd give you a meaningful reply, if I had any idea of what you are saying. As it is, I can't make heads or tails of your post, so I'll refrain from commenting any further. It does seem though that you seem to have a great deal of hatred pent up in you.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The Qu'ran burning is the minister's legal right. If big gov't muscles in and stops his freedom of speech ... well lets just say that's a very slippery slope. Obama has no legal right to stop the guy. None. If he does, then he's overstepped his authority and started a very bad standard for the future.

Burning the stupid books won't make things worse with Islamic countries. They don't need an excuse to hate us. They will anyways. It's part of the religion over there. Gotta' have an enemy .. real or imagined .. to keep the cult of Islam going. Every religion needs it's enemies .. real or imagined ... in order to keep followers in line.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindyremains
I do not understand how anyone can defend this man and his proposed actions.

Because it's his legal and constitutional right. That's why.
If his rights are in danger, than we also are in danger of ours being taken away.

What will the net result be? Our troops in even more danger? More people hating us?

The net result will be ... no change. Our troops are always in danger and everyone over there hates us because it is part of their religion. They have to have an enemy - real or imagined - or else the religion fails. Most religions have to have an 'enemy' to be afraid of or to fight against. That's the way of organized religion.

Being afraid that idiots on the other side of the planet will hate us more, is no excuse to take away cthe ivil and constitutional rights of Americans, who are on American soil, to exercise those rights.

The minister may be an idiot .. but he has a right to be one.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Freedom of speech used to be rigorously defended in our country...you'd hear people say "I disagree with you but I'll defend your right to say that." I'm not really hearing that in this case.

Speech isn't always cute or inspiring, it doesn't have to be. It may end in bloodshed but isn't blood required for liberty? Didn't we already shed our own blood to enshrine our freedoms? Furthermore, isn't it the sworn duty our government and military to "support and defend" our rights? I've always known that Islam would pose the biggest test of the strength and vigor of our Constitution but I wasn't expecting to see such a spirit of appeasement take hold.

If we're going to compromise speech when threatened with Muslim violence we don't deserve to keep it.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

It's hard to believe the FBI hasn't had a talk with this guy already. Make NO mistake, if our government REALLY wanted to stop this guy, they would.

Agreed.
Problem is - this is just the kind of guy who would LOVE to become a martyr.

I think they want this idiot to burn the Koran. It'll stir up more trouble, more hatred and give them more excuses to continue stripping away our rights. More excuses to fund their ridiculous wars.

Agreed again. TPTB are just LOVING this.
All the better to bomb them my dear, all the better to bomb them.

And about stripping OUR rights and OUR freedoms?
The 'Dove' website this guy runs... Has been shut down.

Think about that for a few...

peace

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
We should not discriminate against who gets to enjoy freedom and who does not. That in itself if the definition of not being free at all.

No matter how people feel about this they should first consider the fact that the right to do this far supersedes personal opinions. If we are afraid to express ourselves and are persecuted for doing so we have lost freedom all together. What freedom will be on the chopping block next? After all he is not the one threatening violence. They are the ones threatening to kill Americans which is without a doubt a crime.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Ah we like our controversy don't we? If it's not some popstars pooty flashing in the wind or watching them self destruct before our very eyes we aren't very happy are we? It's like watching an episode of the realworld but like it's the REAL WORLD! WOW!

Personally I like effigies. An effigy of the Koran, an effigy of the Bible, an effigy of some douche bag that we can beat up on, no one REALLY get offended because 1. it looks really bad 2. it's not the real thing. But the point of the whole thing is this. Freedom of speech doesn't protect popular speech, it protects unpopular speech... that's why it needs protecting, if everyone liked it, there wouldn't be a need for the 1st amendment. We as the majority have NO rights to prevent him from having his bon fire with books he purchases. Is it bad taste? Yes. Now what the media can do to prevent this from getting out is I don't know... NOT COVER IT. We can however exercise our 1st amendment rights as well as our 5th we can either tell him off or shut up.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Book burning is not illegal. So why does anyone's President have to chime in?

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge

Listen to Obama's words, "if the burning takes place, then we could see people blowing them-selves up in American cities..". In other words, think twice before offending muslims.

That’s maybe right but has it has more to-do with USA and European industry being moved to India. Upset the Muslims they risk losing the companies, which would cause exported companies moving back to the USA and Europe, losing the companies billions and decreasing profits.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join