It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Colonel (USAF Ret.) Wendelle C. Stevens passes at 87

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Lt. Colonel (USAF Ret.) Wendelle C. Stevens passes at 87 on September 7, 2010
UFO research pioneer, Wendelle Stevens passed today at 4:44 pm in Tucson, Arizona of respiratory failure.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/80fd8e093d37.jpg[/atsimg]

Lt. Colonel (USAF Ret.) Wendelle C. Stevens was one of the world’s best known UFO researchers. Born in 1923 in Round Prairie, Minn., he enlisted in 1941 in the US Army and was transferred to the Air Corps in1942. He served in the Pacific Theater during World War II and subsequently in a classified project in Alaska to photograph and map the Arctic land and sea area, where the data collecting equipment onboard B-29s detected UFOs. Stevens also served as US Air Attaché in South America. He retired from the USAF in 1963 and worked for Hamilton Aircraft until 1972.
Wendelle Stevens was actively involved in ufology for 54 years, first as Director of Investigations for the Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO) in Tucson, Ariz., where he retired. He amassed one of the largest collections of UFO photos and investigated a number of contact cases, published in more than 22 books. His most famous one was the Billy Meier case in Switzerland.

www....(nolink)/wendelle-stevens-passes-214/

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d0fb33363ab.jpg[/atsimg]

Welcome to those new to UFO research, and all our old friends!

Updated December 20, 2009

Wendelle Stevens listened to many sincere people before deciding on the placement of his entire collection of UFO photos, UFO research and collected UFO books and materials dating back to the 1940s as an endowment for the benefit of future generations.

www.ufophotoarchives.org...

Rest in peace my friend; I had the pleasure of meeting Wendelle Stevens twice in the late eighties, early nineties. We also spoke on the phone numerous times over the years, sorry that we lost touch in the past 10 years. He was a very interesting man, I could never pin him down on Billy Meier. He did major research into that case and of course published many books on Meier, I own every book he wrote and bought them in the days when they weren’t so pricy.

I commend him for his work and dedication he did on the UFO Phenomenon and his investigations for Aerial Phenomena Research Organization (APRO). We shared a personal friend Dr. James Harder who was also involved in APRO.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
UFO Hypotheses - Aztec Chapter One (01 of 14)

I own this book and it's an interesting read although it's been years since I read it.

UFO Hypotheses - S4 Informers Volume One

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
He was a cool fella - check out this great video - 1 of 12 parts.

Thanks Wendelle for everything

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by watchZEITGEISTnow

He certainly was, seems that some of the parts of S-4 are missing, I couldn't find part 1 when I was doing my search. Thank watchZEITGEIST

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I think he leaves behind some very mixed opinions. Ignoring the controversy, he's played a part in ufology for decades and his association with APRO is a positive.

As a kid, I read and re-read a Billy Meier book he wrote.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

I think he leaves behind some very mixed opinions. Ignoring the controversy, he's played a part in ufology for decades and his association with APRO is a positive.

I agree he left behind mixed opinions, if you read my opening posts about the conversations I had with him over the years I could never pin him down on the Billy Meier case, he always tapped danced around it, could be that he just wasn't sure. I know ATS position is that it's a Hoax but I personally am not so sure.

Thanks for posting.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Aquarius1 because: Added last line.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
My best for his friends and family. However, anyone who has to "tapdance" around the Billy case looses major points in my book. Anyone who is serious about this subject, and wants the best for it would never straddle the fence concerning that idiot hoaxer. So yeah, he might have contributed here and there to Ufology, but his inability to flat call out a complete hoax erases any good he could have/might have done.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Understand what you're saying, that has always bothered me, I don't know the reasoning behind it and more then likely never will, to be honest I got out of the field in the mid nineties for a lot of reasons and this kind of thing was top on my list, since that time there isn't anything new in my opinion, untill they land in mass all over the world I plan to stay away from this topic.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I enjoyed his work and he seemed pretty legitimate besides the Billy Meir material. Anyone can be duped and fooled i don't hold that against him. But one of the better guys out there in the field. May he rest in peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   

thanks for sharing this. i was not aware he had passed away. i'm grateful for his work, and have read a few of his books. i did not know he authored more than 20, though.

thanks again,
et

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Wendelle (Willy) spent the greater part of his life hoping for the truth and sadly he passed on without the "confirmation" he sought after for so long. Rest In Peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FactFinder

Thanks for posting FactFinder, I would like to think now that he isn't with us any longer that he does know, he is either smiling or thinking oh my gosh, so this is how it is. His legacy will live on in his books.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by theMegaladon
one of the better guys out there in the field. May he rest in peace.

Um, before people get too carried away with praising Wendelle Stevens (e.g. on another forum I've just read that he was supposedly "one of the few scholars on UFO’s and was of great integrity") they may want to do some basic research about this man.

In particular, I think it worth noting his criminal convictions - which have been mentioned by various researchers, but did not (and still do not) seem to bother some people within ufology.

Wendelle Stevens had pleaded guilty to (and spent several years in jail because of):
(1) 3 counts of molestation of a child;
(2) 4 counts of furnishing obscene or harmful items to minors;
(3) 2 counts on charges relating to films and pictures of minors in sex act.

See, for example, the discussion in the article at this link.

I don't know about other members of ATS, but I have very strong feelings about such acts - much stronger than my feelings about ufology.

News of his death will not cause me to shed a single tear.

edit on 9-9-2010 by IsaacKoi because: Formatting issues

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I had already posted this earlier.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

You are a despicable individual Issac Koi, Wendelle Stevens IS DEAD you ignorant, have some respect for his
family and friends in this mourning time, of course you don't have any idea what the words Respect for the Dead
are Isaac Koi and you are using this forum for your absurd personal displeasure to some of Wendelle's work by
exposing things from the past that are now history, you are a true disgrace to this ATS forum Isaac Koi.

Wendelle Stevens considered the grandfather of modern Ufology was a kind man, maybe he made mistakes in
his career but who hasn't, nobody is perfect. But there was enough time when Wendelle was alive to make any
complaint against him for any disagreement, complaint following the Ethics and education. Now Wendelle is
gone and reading the comments of several members in this thread even that some of them had disagreements
in the past they SHOW RESPECT to the dead man, EXCEPT this individual Isaac Koi who in a very
shamelessly attitude suddenly appeared here in this respectful mourning remembrance, called the attention of
the members like a vulgar divo making his show, soiling the memory of a dead man. That is not only regrettable
but extremely cruel, do you hear me Isaac Koi? Shame on you.

ATS may be sometimes hard in denounces, controversies etc. BUT NEVER has been disrespectful to those
who have died, specially in mourning times, never. Now the exception to these historical precedents is the nasty
presence in this thread of the individual named Isaac Koi who dares to interrupt this memorial to the ufologic
icon Wendelle Stevens just to satisfy a mundane interest, how despicable you are Issac Koi, I just hope that
Wendelle's family never read this thread and your stupid off topic words. You will be remembered always in
this forum Isaac Koi for this irreverent, unfair, disrespectful and evil act of yours by soiling the memory of
Wendelle Stevens now that he is gone. SHAME ON YOU SIR.

edit on 9-9-2010 by free_spirit because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2010 by free_spirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by free_spirit

Thank you free_spirit for saying what I would have liked to say.

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Isaac-
Clearly the UFOlogical hero worship affliction overpowers good common sense. I think we've spoken about this type of thing before - clearly it's till in a downward spiral.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Stevens was a pedophile who abused little girls and he shouldn't be remembered for anything else.

join