It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery Store Slim Pickings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I have come to notice that many grocery stores all around offer nearly nothing for healthy food choices that dont require cooking. Oh sure you can get all the frozen chemically preserved crap you want, plus all the corn starch artifical chips and crackers.

America needs more healthy readily available ready to eat foods at their local market. Its no wonder America is suffering from an obesity and diabetes epidemic.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp
I have come to notice that many grocery stores all around offer nearly nothing for healthy food choices that dont require cooking. Oh sure you can get all the frozen chemically preserved crap you want, plus all the corn starch artifical chips and crackers.

America needs more healthy readily available ready to eat foods at their local market. Its no wonder America is suffering from an obesity and diabetes epidemic.

Every time I go the the store I end up with less and less. They are getting rid of a lot of good things and replacing it with crap, or if they have healthy stuff it's ridiculously over priced. Everything I eat makes me feel icky. I tried some new microwavable lunches and they taste like processed plastic. How do people eat these things?!

I have a hard time finding all natural chicken. The chicken at the store just doesn't taste right anymore. We have butcher but he doesn't have chicken, mostly red meat and I am not a fan of red meat. I will eat it a few times a month but that is it.

What also annoys me is how many different ways you can eat an item. No wonder this country is obese. I mean I saw a thing on the news about a store that sells bacon everything including dessert. That is just disgusting and I like bacon but for every meal? I don't think we need 10 ways to eat oreos! What is wrong with just the cookie?

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Yeah, i do agree. Especially with the oreos considering the cream filling in oreos is mostly pure vegetable oil. The same crap they fry french fries in. Hopefully that doesnt ruin your appetite for oreos.

Healthy foods are expensive and crap processed foods are cheap. It really doesnt makes sense if you think about it. Why would a processed, chemically preserved, chemically produced product cost more than something that was produced naturally? Is there a broader agenda here or am I missing something?

[edit on 7-9-2010 by AzoriaCorp]

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Supermarkets in the UK are pretty good at stocking fresh fruits and vegetables, and the outdoor markets are unbelievable you can get two or three bags full of fruit for £5, they more or less give bananas away as they go black very quickly.
Some things like Berries are expensive though, I used to make my own smoothies out of Blackberries / Strawberries and things but I can't afford to at the moment

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

veggies.
smoked salmon.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

veggies.
smoked salmon.

I was saying there is not much to choose from for healthy foods in local markets and grocery stores that are readily available and ready to eat. There are some healthy alternatives in stores, not a whole lot, but enough i guess, but they require cooking. My point is people are lazy so they go for the easy cheap fat laden foods. Since people rarely fix stupid or lazy, why not offer ready to eat healthy alternatives.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
As far as I know most fruit and a lot of vegetables are ready to eat, so is smoked salmon, you can just take it out of a packet and eat it

Things that are mostly health are.
Fruit Always ready to eat
Vegetables At most they require boiling / steaming for a little while
Nuts / Seeds Always ready to eat
Cereals Ready to eat

I guess I'm not exactly sure what kind of foods you mean, could you give an example of something that is already available?

As soon as something goes through an industrial manufacturing process it has to have stabilizers and preservatives added and usually lots of salt sugar and bulking agents, so anything that you could buy that was made from healthy ingredients but was processed is kind of taking the point away from the "healthy" bit.

Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
As far as I know most fruit and a lot of vegetables are ready to eat, so is smoked salmon, you can just take it out of a packet and eat it

Things that are mostly health are.
Fruit Always ready to eat
Vegetables At most they require boiling / steaming for a little while
Nuts / Seeds Always ready to eat
Cereals Ready to eat

I guess I'm not exactly sure what kind of foods you mean, could you give an example of something that is already available?

As soon as something goes through an industrial manufacturing process it has to have stabilizers and preservatives added and usually lots of salt sugar and bulking agents, so anything that you could buy that was made from healthy ingredients but was processed is kind of taking the point away from the "healthy" bit.

Maybe I'm not understanding what your saying

I guess what i mean are ready to eat foods other than the obvious such as fruits and vegetables. Perhaps maybe more of what i was getting at is that i think most grocery stores should offer a healthy wise deli that may offer healthy foods from the point the store opens to close. Not just close at 5 or 6pm as most do. And many grocers dont have delis.

Isnt smoked salmon preserved? Also in which is usually extremely high in sodium and MSG?

new topics

top topics

join