It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archbishop says UK taxpayer should help fund Pope visit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Archbishop says UK taxpayer should help fund Pope visit

www.bbc.co.uk

The head of the Catholic Church in England and Wales has said it is right that UK taxpayers should help pay for the Pope's trip to Britain.

Critics are angry that up to £12m is to come from the public purse.

But Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols told the BBC it would be a "sad day" when the UK "closes its doors and says we can't afford state visits".

He also hinted the Pope may meet victims of the Catholic abuse scandal during this month's four-day visit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Is physicist Stephen Hawking right that physics, not God, created the universe?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Well, isn't this a surprise? More evidence that the UK is NOT a Christian country.

"An online poll of 2,005 people, published this week, found 79% had "no personal interest" in the visit."

The survey, by think tank Theos, also found 77% thought taxpayers should not help pay for it.

The disgusting religious tyrant known as 'The Pope' should stay right where he is - in the Vatican - because he isn't wanted here in the UK. He can keep his disgusting Christianity.

People don't want to pay for special interest minority groups any more - we're all hard up enough as it is! If we're going to start questinoing expenditure for this one Christian event, then we should start questioning public funding for ALL religious events, organisations, faith schools and more.

STOP PAYING OUR MONEY TO RELIGIOUS NUTTERS!

(Please view the attached link for more discussion on a similar topic.)

Parallex.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Amen to that, 12 Million just think what else that money could be spent on instead of some old NAZI.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Let's not bash religion Christianity and instead focus on the individual Pope. I agree with you his trip should not be funded by tax payers. If he wants to frock around spreading "his message" and "his views" he should do it on his own cost not on other peoples.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Well, as the Pope is a Head of State the UK public should fund his visit.

I suspect if you asked the public whether the public should fund the visit of Obama or the some other Head of State then they would say "no". Who paid for the police support to hold back the crowds protesting against the Chinese President's visit and did anyone really complain that the tax payer picked up the tab?

I am not a Catholic, nor particularly care about the Pope's visit but do think that he should be treated with respect and reverence for who and what he is and represents. It is the way it should be.

Regards

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Well, Personally i think £12 million spent on security for the pope on his visit to the United Kingdom is money well spent.

After all £12 million spent to keep our children safe isn't that bad .. !!

Appolz OP

[edit on 5-9-2010 by foxhoundone]

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

Don't apologise matey - quality joke!

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
Well, as the Pope is a Head of State the UK public should fund his visit.

I suspect if you asked the public whether the public should fund the visit of Obama or the some other Head of State then they would say "no". Who paid for the police support to hold back the crowds protesting against the Chinese President's visit and did anyone really complain that the tax payer picked up the tab?

I am not a Catholic, nor particularly care about the Pope's visit but do think that he should be treated with respect and reverence for who and what he is and represents. It is the way it should be.

Regards

If he was the head of state of a REAL country, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, the Vatican is only a country to give the Pope sovereignty in his little 'city' and to give him and his 'staff' diplomatic immunity.

In my view the Pope is a bigot, a proponent of child abuse, and really not worthy of respect or reverence! Him and his Christianity can rot for all I care.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Does anyone in the UK want to see the pope? A leader of a depraved church?

If so, I suggest that they, and they alone, pay for it.

THE VATICAN IS OBSCENELY RICH, AND YET THEY STAND BY AND LET THEIR FOLLOWERS DIE OF STARVATION.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Warning strong views and strong language in this video, but quite funny.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
12million ?

How's about we let God teleport him to the UK and protect him during his visit.

That 12 million could go on things much more useful like feeding those who are starving or various other good causes which have more christianity in them than the religion calling itself christianity!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

I take it the pope will not be stopping by for tea & scones in my part of the town then ..

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm not the brightest bulb in the box so can someone tell me. Why do we have to pay for him to come to the UK? Can't he pay for it himself? Why must £12million of the british publics money (From people who may or may not have interest) to come over here?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Well, isn't this a surprise? More evidence that the UK is NOT a Christian country.

No, this is more evidence of deluded christians trying to push their crazy bloody beliefs upon others.

So the imaginary man in the sky wants his minions to put their greasy little pedophile hands in my pocket to support their cause and further a worldwide delusion.

I am sick and tired not just of Catholics but the entire jesus crew, if their bloody Godman needs money let him magik it into existence.

The bloody bunch of thieving bastards are not content with infiltrating schools and governments they want normal people to fund their delusion.

Well they can go take a running jump !!

If these scam artists manage to fleece the taxpayer again, I for one will personally picket every bloody church I can demanding the money back.

If any so called "True Christian" out there has any kind of morality and is sincere in the claims that they don't try to push their beliefs upon others.

The now is the time to put their money where their mouths are and take a stand against this wicked theft.

Go on christians make my day and try and defend this bloody outrage !!

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

Sorry, D, you and I seem to be disagreeing everywhere.

I have to say, do not blame God or Jesus about the pope.

This is not about deities, it is about the pope, who is as far removed from god as anyone will ever be.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Also, D, please do not include Jesus in your diatribe.

Jesus taught us the best qualities we have.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Isn't the Vatican city a city in its own right that does not pay taxes?? I would think from the global pedophile ring that the catholic church operates they would have more than enough funds to cover a visit to the UK.

And as and aside, what has the pope ever done for the UK? apart from buy and sell children?

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Also, D, please do not include Jesus in your diatribe.

Jesus taught us the best qualities we have.

Dear god man, you are completely missing the point aren't you,

My beef is not with any imaginary being, that is as silly as me ranting about the Smurfs .

Jesus is a character in some books my friend what you claim he taught you is no more nor less relevant than what Mickey Mouse taught me and equally as subjective.

Get a grip dude, whether it's the Mickey fan club or the Jesus fan club, some bastards are trying to rob me and get me to think like them.

If you on a personal level don't happen to agree with pushing your fanclubs' beliefs upon others then bloody well make the effort to do something about it,.
Don't get all girly about me having a rant about an imaginary godman that, for whatever reason, you feel you have to try and protect from my wobblers. If this jesus/yahweh god has even one atom in reality then let him come and deal with me himself, he doesn't need you to cover his ears in case I hurt his feelings.

And before any Mickey fans out there start, don't bloody bother,get a check up from the neck up.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
thats bravo sierra if you are a head of state which the pope really isn't his country should pay for his visit. what the pope really is is the head of one of the biggest mega-corporations out there and as he is visiting uk on corporate visit he should pay for everything or stay home.

posted on Sep, 5 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
If he was the head of state of a REAL country, I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, the Vatican is only a country to give the Pope sovereignty in his little 'city' and to give him and his 'staff' diplomatic immunity.

I think you will find that the Vatican is a real country and this remains the case regardless of the reason for its creation which was not (incidently) about giving the Pope et al diplomatic immunity, although clearly that is a result.

Originally posted by Parallex
In my view the Pope is a bigot, a proponent of child abuse, and really not worthy of respect or reverence! Him and his Christianity can rot for all I care.

My view is that the Chinese President is the head of a nation which has contempt for human rights, but I still think that he has the right to visit the UK as Head of State. Just because you have a problem with the Pope and the Christianity should not matter in the context of a State visit.

Regards

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join