It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunny Burgers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
At the risk of marking my antiquity, I'm going to share with you something that happened avant-internet immersion times.

A long time ago, in a galaxy we called "the late 80's - early 90's," a wondrous epoch lodged between angular shoulder-pads and grunge, there existed a satirical publication. So good and substantial was its content that it went bankrupt. The truth has many virtues, profitability isn't one of them.

Authentic satire was their instrument of choice, and their financial demise was due in no small part to the quantity of time, effort, and money they expended to crystalize their message in the form of 'pranks.'

What follows is one such occasion, and, should you can forgive me the presumption, I respectfully invite you to watch the following video in its entirety:

It is imho very funny ... Spinal Tap meets PBS funny, for as Tap is a 'mockumentarty' by intent, this actually happened.

At the risk of straining your patience, will you watch it again?

And this time look at is not as a comedic contrivance but as to what it really means.

What it means relevant to what marketeers are willing to push.
What it means in the context of what people are willing to buy if marketed to.

This took place over Easter, and no one had the honesty to tell the 'investors' that it was a terrible idea ... and no matter how inconceivable or preposterous the product, there were many consumers willing to buy it.

More background: www.devilbunnies.org...
www.fastcompany.com...

Now extrapolate the media and how it operates today, in political campaigns, or useless products, and if you look really closely, most of the things we are pitched, and most of the things we buy, be they consumer products or ideologies, are in fact, Bunny Burgers.

That's all folks!

[edit on 28 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yup, it's all in the marketing. You'd eat this bunny wouldn't you?

I also eat veal. I see an animal and I think, "What sauce would work on that."

That's just me though and I like rabbit. Fried.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
SDog...excellent thread...our lives are full of bunnies and we have learned to contantly search out more....the marketers have trained us well, and developed our addictions. It's all our own fault. I'm learning slowly that life without bunnies is actually very peaceful.

As for the actual concept of eating bunnies....you're all going straight to hell, where Satan's Vampire Bunnies of Eternal Torment will torture you in various and lengthy ways until you decide that quinoa and salad truly are the Foods of Salvation. What sauce goes with that.....I ask you...tsk tsk.....* shakes head in profound disappointment*

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When there is a buck to be made they would sell there mothers.

I thought this was hilarious. Especially because there are a lot of people that eat rabbit.
Not your point but I got it.

Thanks

Reply to Post by entrepid

The same thing comes up with me whenever I see sheep. You got a little wolverine inside,
What is my excuse ?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
What is my excuse ?

You're hungry? We're the top of the food chain for a reason. Pigs, rabbits, cows, whatever. They are here for us to consume. I don't feel the least bit bad about it. They'd eat us if they were the top of the food chain.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well... I get hungry...watching sheep. I don't feel bad about it. I do think the animals should be handled in the best possible ways.

Did some of you ever heard of speculaas ?

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
They'd eat us if they were the top of the food chain.

They might eat us, but I think they'd have more sense than to market "People Pita" ... that at least, is my hope.

[edit on 28 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I see animal and I think "what wine would go well with that?"

I've eaten bunny (rabbit), and it's not bad...can tend to be a bit dry (as the one "taste tester" mentioned).

And considering the possible ecological benefits of bunny versus beef, maybe a case could be made?

Now, I've got a nice big bubbling pot of Hossenfeffer to stir while I sip a nice cold bock, so...

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So to really see if I understand the thread I went to the super market and got some ground turkey, some ground veal, and then on the way back home stopped by the pet store and got a cute fluffy cuddly fuzzy white rabbit.

I prepared the veal and ground turkey burger first while trying to get the bunny into my food processor.

Ever mindful of the dangers that Rabbits present after as a precaution watching Intrepid’s warning video I wisely chose to drug the bunny rabbit first by substituting a couple of sleeping pills for his rabbit pellets.

First I would like to add, even though my food processor was a state of the art Cuisine Art grinding a whole live rabbit seemed to be a bit more than it was capable of, so the ground rabbit ended up coming out rather chunky and furry too.

I was able to get a really great new lucky Rabbit Foot out of this process.

I ended up using a sledge hammer to smooth out the Rabbit chunks and to finally get the little critter to stop kicking!

Contrary to popular opinion Rabbits do scream by the way, boy do they scream.

I added some finely minced shallots, slivered carrots, raisins, pistachio nuts, some white wine and a little Dijon mustard and freshly grated garlic to the now nicely ground rabbit.

It certainly cooked up much more aromatically than did the Turkey/Veal burger and it turned out not skinning the rabbit first made for a delightful almost cottony feeling tickling sensation on the palette and taste buds that I can best describe as semi-erotic.

I began to lament dispatching the rabbit so quickly as I contemplate that with juicy sweet mouthful after mouthful of savory tickly bunny burger.

All in all I would rate the bunny burger far superior to the veal/turkey burger.

Recipe as follows:

1 cute fluffy white pet store rabbit (live)
¼ cup minced shallots
2 baby carrots slivered
1 small box raisins (2 oz)
1 small bag pistachios shelled and chopped (2 oz)
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1/8th cup dry white wine or vermouth
2 cloves garlic finely minced

Place live rabbit in food processor and grind, do not over grind and turn into a puree!

In large mixing bowl place rabbit meat (remove any large bone chunks) shallots, carrots, raisins, pistachios, mustard, white wine and garlic and mix thoroughly.

Pound into ¼ to 1/3 pound patties.

Preheat electric frying pan to 350 degrees and add bunny burgers turning at least once before testing for desired doneness.

Place on a Kaiser Roll and garnish with fresh parsley.

I liked this recipe so much despite the prep and clean up time the second time I tried it I decided to remove the rabbit’s ears to make fried rabbit ears to garnish the burgers with.

Getting the rabbit to hold still for the second ear removal was a lot harder than the first ear, boy those suckers can jump!

Take the ears and dip in egg and then flour salted and peppered to taste, and deep fry for five minutes or until golden brown, set aside and top cooked bunny burger!

Great idea Schrödinger’s Dog, these were not only delicious but all natural and organic!

I have no idea why this project didn’t get off the ground.

Life is so much better when you watch TV!

[edit on 28/8/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Great thread, yep everything is marketing, you can market anything and the public will buy into it, well for the most part.

Great video and presentation SD.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Are you talking about the Bunny Burger or your sick, sick, sick recipe, did I mention your sick, sick, sick recipe.

In case I didn't mention it Proto your recipe is sick.

[edit on 28-8-2010 by Aquarius1]

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Great idea Schrödinger’s Dog, these were not only delicious but all natural and organic!

This thread, much like my vegetarian lunch, seems to have backfired.

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Are you talking about the Bunny Burger or your sick, sick, sick recipe, did I mention your sick, sick, sick recipe.

In case I didn't mention it Proto your recipe is sick.

Thanks Aqaurius I know exactly what you mean!

sick: possessing exceptional talent. bad-ass.

SlangSite.com

Emmeril has already contacted me about using the recipe on his show.

Evidently he believes having a recipe that starts with live rabbit will really "Kick it up a notch"

By the way because the Bunny is fresh it's ok to eat your Bunny Burgers extra rare!

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This thread, much like my vegetarian lunch, seems to have backfired.

Ah the dangers abound my friend in using satire as an example. However no I don’t think further examples of satire detract away from the premise of how easy it is to manipulate people through marketing. If anything the simply further drive home the near comical way that so many of us can be enticed to support causes, and buy products that really don’t serve us very well.

It also underscores too how ATS is often a world of extreme opposites, where people either gravitate towards angry responses or humorous responses depending on the subject matter.

What I did besides try to display my penchant for very poor humor at times, is yes, there really are people that even after you lay it all out for them in black and white, would watch that and still want to go out and try a bunny burger.

Yet, as we discovered earlier today thanks to the Board Business Thread on “If Moderators can influence a thread topic” that as whatukno wisely observed Intrepid is responsible for everything that goes wrong on ATS and indeed the entire world.

Once again I think we see that too in this thread as clearly Intrepid incited all the other posters including myself to post humorously.

So perhaps a larger lesson looms here on the need for a Epic ATS Thread entitle “The Intrepid Factor”.

Bunny Burger?

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1

... yep everything is marketing, you can market anything and the public will buy into it, well for the most part.

A friend sent me this: www.youtube.com...

(purposefully not embedded to convey explicit language warning)

And no, I am not catering to the anti-marketeer market.

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
You're hungry? We're the top of the food chain for a reason. Pigs, rabbits, cows, whatever. They are here for us to consume. I don't feel the least bit bad about it. They'd eat us if they were the top of the food chain.

Aww heck, it's getting kind of close for my favorite thread...

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Now that is a little extreme, I won't be going out and killing myself anytime soon, well at least not today I have to do my laundry.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

If you're going to be doing laundry make sure the detergent is 'new and improved' ... no point in using 'old and obsolete' detergent as it never ever worked in the first place.

Marketing is fun.

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
I see animal and I think "what wine would go well with that?"

I've eaten bunny (rabbit), and it's not bad...can tend to be a bit dry (as the one "taste tester" mentioned).

To make sure it stays moist, you need to add a fat. Butter or bacon both work, but I prefer stuffing the foil wrapped bunny with onion, tatters, a couple carrots, and a half pound of butter. Bake on the coals for 1 1/2 hours or until medium well and devour the little bouncer. Yum!

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
if you like animals so much then why don't you marry one? me, i'll stick to eating them. we have been eating animals for thousands and thousands of years.. it has even been suggested that our meat rich diets helped to make us smarter and evolve our brains, which may explain why eating only vegetables has the opposite effect on vegetarians...

[edit on 31-8-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join