It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you had electronic failures lately

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
Has anyone though to check with some auto parts stores to see it they have had a spike in alternator sales in the past month or so. If they have that would be very interesting to say the least
actually I did ask the NAPA guy in my home town about this when I bought one a couple days ago and to my surprise his reply was there HAS been a slight increase in sales. This was another reason for starting this thread.
Just seems odd

posted on Aug, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It’s normal to have that stuff in the hot summer months.

People are running the AC which is pulling extra power from the alternator to power the compressor clutch magnet and to run the electric fan on the radiator/condenser And you are running a fan inside (sometimes multiple). Throw that load, probably an additional 30 amps worth on an alternator that is already baking under the heat of the highway and the engine. The electronics just can’t take it.

The old alternators had an external regulator with the regulator stuck somewhere away from the hot engine, but all current alternators have a built in regulator, which puts the electronics where the heat is. And newer vehicles all have electric radiator fans. That means it puts even more load on the alternator than the older vehicles did.

That, along with all the other electronics on the engine baking under the heat from everything around it. So it’s normal for electronic modules failures to spike during the hot summer months.

posted on Aug, 30 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Nice informational reply Mr.T.
Batteries also don't last very long in high temps.

<< 1   >>

join