It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Full-Body Scan Technology Deployed In Street-Roving Vans

blogs.forbes.com

As the privacy controversy around full-body security scans begins to simmer, it’s worth noting that courthouses and airport security checkpoints aren’t the only places where backscatter x-ray vision is being deployed. The same technology, capable of seeing through clothes and walls, has also been rolling out on U.S. streets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Working Link

[edit on 8/24/2010 by semperfortis]

link   
Thats it! Say goodbye to the 4th amendment as we know it. After watching the video in the article I basically got sick to my stomach thinking about how this type of power could be abused. Think of all the radiation that is being admitted from this van. I must admit if i saw this on the street I would notice it right away. We truly are building up to a 1984 style world and Its starting RIGHT IN OUR BACKYARD!

blogs.forbes.com

link   

[edit on 24-8-2010 by hawaiinguy12]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I have heard that the border patrol and customs are planing to buy a large number of these machines for checking cars at border crossings.

They will manly be used to spot drugs and weapons entering and leaving the US. but they will look for anything suspicious in hidden compartments.

You also have to remember that the border patrol can stop and check cars within 50 miles of the border.
That means they can set one of these up on any highway withing 50 miles of the border and funnel all cars through.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
S & F. This is something. I believe it's onl a matter of time before you hear a sonic boom and then *flash*
The NSA, CIA, Army come to your neighberhood and start "evacuating" people. Only to be eradicated in a nuclear blast.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have heard that the border patrol and customs are planing to buy a large number of these machines for checking cars at border crossings.

They will manly be used to spot drugs and weapons entering and leaving the US. but they will look for anything suspicious in hidden compartments.

Hey if its used for the border,fine by me but we both know this will show up randomly on city streets and towns someday and be abused.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I honestly doubt this will ever spread very far because no court will let the issue go simply by. Any judge willing to take up the issue would be in the history books.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
This is actually pretty old news really, I knew about this one before the airport scanners went online.

It's still not a very pleasant thought tho, like you say all these sources of radiation and surveillance - they are so scared of the people now it's crazy... Or more likely the right people are working up the threat because they have business interests.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
This is actually pretty old news really, I knew about this one before the airport scanners went online.

It's still not a very pleasant thought tho, like you say all these sources of radiation and surveillance - they are so scared of the people now it's crazy... Or more likely the right people are working up the threat because they have business interests.

This is news to me. I saw a video and article a couple of years ago on License plate reading technology. Im not too sure how that one worked,Im guessing with a high speed camera which I guess if taken to court could say that its not a violation of the 4th amendment since they are not searching the inside of your car like this. But like someone said (and I hope hes right) this would not hold up if taken to court for a violation of the 4th. All in good time

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I see this as a valuable tool to protect the citizenry, if used properly. In my opinion, if an explosive device is located and disabled...Great! If used in say a school parking lot and it reveals a large cache of weapons in a vehicle...Great!

As far as admissibility in a prosecution, not going to happen. It is an established "unreasonable search" to use infrared or thermal imaging devices to randomly seek heat signatures of marijuana growing operations inside homes. The same will apply with this. However, I care less about the prosecution than about the prevention of injuries and deaths. Actually, there is case law which prohibited visual observations made by LE, due to the simple use of binoculars to enhance what could be seen by the "naked eye".

I see the use of these as being extremely limited, though. The very slow speed of the vans, required to observe and effectively distinguish potentially dangerous objects from innocuous ones, will preclude widespread deployment.

I assume the cost of the equipment will be exorbitant. So, from a financial standpoint, they will not be cost effective for randomly roaming around searching for the proverbial needles in haystacks. Not to mention the costs associated with the personnel.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
I see this as a valuable tool to protect the citizenry, if used properly. In my opinion,

This is the mantra repeated over and over that is used to erode your privacy and civil rights. Keep me safe Massa, ah doan wants to die! So in the end you are a slave. Doesn't anyone see that it never ends? Now precrime is next to come on line and they have revealed plans to build up a complete picture of you from the age of five, like a lab rat! Welcome to the brave new world, the cage you will live in. I'm glad that I'm old and won't live to see a world I no longer recognize.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by maldronath]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

S&F

More at American Science and Engineering, Inc.

AS&E X-ray inspection systems are used by governments and corporations around the world to combat terrorism, drug and weapons smuggling, illegal immigration, and trade fraud.

AS&E specializes in detection technologies that can uncover dangerous and elusive threats, including explosives, plastic and metal weapons, and radioactive devices, such as dirty bombs and nuclear WMD. These X-ray systems are deployed worldwide at ports and borders, and military and high-threat facilities.

Brave New World, indeed.

VERY important point about radiation exposure from the X-rays, OP.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by maldronath

I guess I should have made clear, in my second paragraph, that I agree with evidence found in such a search being suppressed in a prosecution.

Surely, you wouldn't have a problem with such a device being used to locate and disable an explosive device near your child's school.

Now, though, I have to ask if you consider a vehicle being parked in a public place and unoccupied to be subject to the same level of "expectation of privacy" as a home? How about a vehicle "abandoned" in a public place, like the recent Times Square incident?

Of course, those questions are just for the sake of argument, as I've already stated my opinion on the inadmissibility.

Edited for punctuation

[edit on 24-8-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

More machines to keep increasing of radiation exposure on citizens specially children's to keep increasing the cancer rates in the nation, occurs this will only benefit big pharma as usual just like we are now becoming a nation of diabetics thanks to our food processing methods.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
reply to post by maldronath

Surely, you wouldn't have a problem with such a device being used to locate and disable an explosive device near your child's school.

Not ONE of these technologies were ever used in the limited fashion they were touted they would be. Each one was a foot in the door, and expanded upon.
As for this particular type scanner device...it will be used on people in a mobile platform. Another proposal which will become reality is scanners embedded in lamp posts, building facades, etc. Scanners at any large gathering. The list goes on endlessly.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
One way around 4th Amendment is to post a sign before the scanner stating something along the lines of "Vehicle inspection ahead". Those that proceed consent, those that avoid don't. Obviously, to be fair, those that turn around would not be pursued.

Maybe a policy of "open disclosure = forgiven" could be effected where if the driver voluntarily surrenders everything of illegal nature, the driver can continue unimpeded without fear of further prosecution, maybe even obtaining an affidavit from the checkpoint granting immunity from prosecution over anything resulting from the inspection.

I.e.: checkpoint ahead and driver has some illegal drug on board, driver announces to the inspection point prior to entering that he/she wishes to forfeit the contraband and is moved to the side of the road at which time the driver hands such over to authorities, proceeds back through the scanner and if the vehicle is then clean the driver receives limited immunity for that instance (and that instance alone) and is allowed to proceed unimpeded however, the fact there was an incident is recorded.

Offenders who have multiple incidents, say within 2 years of each, may face misdemeanor charges along the lines of repeated possession of material(s) in violation of law, and fined. The charge itself carries a 2 year limit with regards to how long it appears on a criminal record after which the charge is purged and no longer admissible in consideration of future violations- once the charge drops off the record there is no history it happened.

Don't know if that made sense but....

[edit on 8/24/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Oh my Gods! Thats what those vans were... nevermind speculation about the borders, they are already using them there. I was coming back from a rave in San Diego last Friday night, and when i passed through the Camp Pendelton area headed North there is a "checkpoint" where you have to slow to almost stop, and they had vans set up in between the lanes right at the slowing point.

I remember they were painted white with red stripes I believe, and the back doors were open.

Normally all the coyotes drop off their human cargo before this checkpoint, and you can see people running across the freeway, where they will head down to the beach to continue walking north (as inland is a very large Marine Corps base, which probably would not receive illegals very well I would think
)

This is scary, scary, scary.
Privacy is a vestigial notion, a nod to a once applicable ideal... Prepare for maximum intrusion.

NEXUS

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The video makes it seem all so charming. I like the music. It's like trying to sell me a new station-wagon for my family.

Only, my family car would never be able to take nekkid pic of my daughter, or see through my neighbor's house.

How can govt NOT think this stuff freaks people out?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12

Thats it! Say goodbye to the 4th amendment as we know it. After watching the video in the article I basically got sick to my stomach thinking about how this type of power could be abused. Think of all the radiation that is being admitted from this van. I must admit if i saw this on the street I would notice it right away. We truly are building up to a 1984 style world and Its starting RIGHT IN OUR BACKYARD!

blogs.forbes.com

Apologies, but after being witness to such atrocities as the 9/11 attack, the attempted Times Square bombing, numerous suicide bombers comprised of both men and woman adults, elderly and children alike, library bombings/shootings, school bombings/shootings, restaurant bombings/shootings, sporting event bombings/shootings, etc., etc., etc., etc..., I could care less where the technology as I've nothing to hide and am not up to any form of mischief.

In my honest opinion, the ONLY people that would contest the utilization of such technology to protect ALL of the citizens of this country are those in possession of ill intent towards others and so, SHOULD be alarmed because we're gonna get you and put an end to all of this self-destructive, anarchistic futility.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by soficrow

More machines to keep increasing of radiation exposure on citizens specially children's to keep increasing the cancer rates in the nation, occurs this will only benefit big pharma as usual just like we are now becoming a nation of diabetics thanks to our food processing methods.

No offense, but I prefer for our children to remain in one piece and not be blown to bits just because they wanted to get an education.

Common sense people, simple, common sense.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join