It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Reveal "Big News" From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
NASA is looking at constellation Lyra. They might find some habitable planets there. If they indeed announce that there are habitable planets in Lyra, then the articles about Lyra being the origin of humans will have more credibility.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Cydonia2012

In 1996, astronomers thought they discovered a hot Jupiter in the Zeta Reticuli system - but it turned our to the signal was due to pulsations of the star.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Several exoplanets including WASP-3b, HAT-P-5b, GJ 758 b and c, HD 178911 Bb, HD 177830 b, TrES-1, and HD 173416 b have been discovered in Lyra. In January 2010 the Kepler Mission announced the discovery of the additional planets Kepler-7b and Kepler-8b, which are expected to be the first of many discovered by the mission, which has a significant part of its field of view in Lyra.

wiki - Lyra

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

very interesting! I wonder if there's any more info on this and the make out of the planets they discovered.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by satnav_c-1
what if they hav found a solar system with like about 4 earth like planets that
all orbit the sun in sequence only say that because if it was that great of a discovery
it would be a secret

Well on bbc today they said something about the european space agency finding a star like our with 7 planets orbiting it. they did mention the kepler mission but didnt say anything about an announcmet tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I hope we find something, it's lonely you know?

We really don't know why we're here, but we live our lives so fast we don't question so much of our environments or our history that our destination and origins are usually obscured. It's something I can't help but think about constantly. I don't know who gave the right to all mankind to feign ignorance but we're logical creatures and eventually we're going to have to shape up or it's all over. Unless we find something that turns the tide, or puts an end to The Great Silence.

I harbor this regret, that all of this, human history. All we've accomplished, will be lost just as the ancients before us.

I think honestly, the more we investigate "out-there" the closer we will be to realizing how we can escape this trend. Ultimately, we will become extinct, unless we control the population, come up with a means to live in the sky/inside the Earth or populate other planets, theres a 99% chance of us going extinct relative to us being no different than any other species to have lived on Earth. Just read the fossil records.

Let's see what happens Thursday. I'm thinking more of the same, but things like this always excite me. Because one day, one little thing, is going to change... everything.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocEmrick
Maybe they've found the first planet that we can colonize. Let's slap on the American flag and head straight for it! Then when we get there, just sort of pretend the natives don't exist.

-----
You do realize that the "natives" didn't spring up in what became the US don't you? They traveled here, not by ships like the Europeans, but traveled here nontheless. They were no more natives then than I am now.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Maybe NASA's big news is that they have discovered a planet in the Lyra constellation and that they detected some lights from the planets. It seems that they are also using electricity out there.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I would hope that Kepler can help us 'map' the stars better, with the eventual result being we can day one send deep space probes to Earth-like worlds to bring back samples, data, and even evidence of life. I think we need to take finding other hospitable worlds, and means to travel to them, very seriosly given the state of Earth.

With a 'map' we'll have more of an idea which solar systems/planets will be best to aim for. We never know, they might send us something back

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by The Chez

A map, of some sort, might be presented at the conference to explain the current make up of known planetary systems.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
So today is the day for the 'big news'

Does anybody know what time this will be today?

Just done a search and The live teleconference will be held on Thursday, August 26 at 1pm EDT.

[edit on 26/8/10 by boo1981]

[edit on 26/8/10 by boo1981]

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Three_moons
For everyone who thinks the discoveries are boring, not deserving of media attention and should only include an earth shattering discovery I ask you this. How do you expect we reach a truly great discovery without achieving small steps along the way? That's how we learn and gain knowledge, a little at a time. It's seems like too many want instantaneous knowledge of a vast place and forget the study of space is still a relatively new venture.

Would it be better if they didn't share anything for decades until there truly was something absolutely astonishing? Then it would be an issue of there being no discoveries and wondering what they are hiding even more than now. It's asked what the significance of finding planets that we can't travel to is. I ask you why build a spaceship if we don't know where we'd like to go. If we built a spaceship without knowing where to take it I'm sure people would ask why build a spaceship. You simply can't win. I fail to even see this as a lack of patience but rather an ignorance of learning. According to this mindset we should have the knowledge or an astrophysicist by the end of first grade.

I certainly agree with the poster regarding knowing more here on earth and especially the oceans. Discoveries are coming from that field too although I could argue that more should be done. Saying that doesn't mean that I don't think both should be occurring at the same time.

Originally posted by The Chez
I've also had a theory for many years that there is life, and then life. Life on Earth, as we know it, and then life that we would not recognise.

~Chez

I think the same way and as someone else posted, we now have evidence of extremophiles on earth living in conditions we didn't think were possible not very long ago. It's entirely too narrow minded to think life as we know it is the only form of life.

oh, come on, to learn Roots of Matter, Time & Space doesn't need useless glances to Abyss of Universe

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
3 hours to go.
here are the links to the live feeds:

* A link to the streaming audio will appear here before the event.

www.nasa.gov...

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jlmB70

are they handing over 3d glasses for this one too?

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeptepi

Star

Thank you for posting the address. We cannot see the conference in the UK on television.

One is deeply excited.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I know it's kind of off topic but I cannot create new threads.

When looking for what the topics could be on this briefing, I came across this image of the Sun which has some dots on it. The dots look like they have been added but I was wondering what they were?:

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Not long to go.

We might get a press release before the conference...I'll do a quick scan on the internet to see what I can find.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
According to this to this press release, it is not related to the European discovery (or, that's how Yahoo! is interpreting it)

Today's announcement comes on the heels of a separate discovery of at least five planets – with hints of two more – circling around a star in an arrangement similar to our own solar system.

That discovery (which included up to seven alien planets – including one that could be 1.4 times the mass of Earth) was made by astronomers using the European Southern Observatory in Chile. They discovered the planets 127 light-years from Earth around the star HD 10180 in a pattern that looks strikingly like our solar system, only in a more compact arrangement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yahoo!

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Not long to go.

We might get a press release before the conference...I'll do a quick scan on the internet to see what I can find.

I am waiting with baited breath.

I had a strange premoniton last Saturday, as I was working in my yard I suddenly pictured my partner running out onto the deck yelling "They found a signal!"

It was very vivid and while I know this mission cannot pick up signals, it tweaked my interest after that little episode above.

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

The audio link is now up on the NASA website

Really excited. Conference about to start now

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join