It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Reveal "Big News" From Planet-Hunting Spacecraft Thursday

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the level
NIBIRU
Cant wait to see Phage and the rests comments, what a discovery, we are all doomed, grab the nearest blond

Why are you waiting for someone else to post their own thoughts? Don't you have your own mind to formulate your own thought and beliefs? Or are you just a sheeple following the lead of the 'popular' on ATS?

Personally, I won't speculate. I look forward to the actual report being posted on the internet, either here or somewhere else. Speculating is of no use when we have actual hard data available. I'm more concerned with HOW MUCH of that data will be released . . . all of it or will it be edited for our own 'safety'?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNaR
.....and then there's those who believe aliens will arrive on December 21, 2012. Their major reason for coming here is to depopulate an over-crowded planet - they will begin by eating overweight people first...

I doubt the fatties would be very palatable, nor would people in excellent physical condition, it's the average joes that would get eaten, the athletes put to work as slaves and the fatties should........ahem.... would be used as fertilizer.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Arkady]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's my understanding that they are going to announce the discovery of a solar system similar to ours that has an "earthlike" planet in the habitable zone. THe planet is about 1.5 times the size of Earth which makes it the smallest exoplanet discovered to date I believe. Apparently there were about a dozen new exoplanets discovered recently and their existence has been confirned by Kepler.

That's my understanding of what the announcement will consist of.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

If the end of the universe, NASA might have found the restaurant at the end of the Universe! Maybe Beelzebrox will buy me a drink

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
No need to get too excited here I'm sure. I predict they are going to talk about a new solar system with multiple planets, and that's all they know for now. They'll probably talk about the discovery of more planets as well
As if that will be surprising news.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

I must say I hope this is a great discovery but I would say that your theory on who the cool kids are is misleading... Jersey shore is full of losers and all it promotes is wannabe's lol!!!! The way I see it we're the cool kids, talking about the latest interstellar find!

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm afraid it will be just like so many hyped movie sequels turn out to be...not worthy of the buzz that was created by the pre-announcement announcement.

I suppose we can all hope, in any event, for something awe-inspiring and revolutionary.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
MORE TRIVIAL SCIENCE? TIRED OF THE TEASE

First glance, this means
NOTHING. TRIVIAL SCIENCE

(1)we know water is all around us, intergalactic and in this solar system, (and we still would not really know about the Moon if the Indians and Japanese hadn't spilled the beans from their moon shots), ..did NASA (NSA) slap their wrists?, (2) earthlike planets ... ? BIG DEAL, NOT, if they are light years away and we can never reach them in hundreds or thousands of years, ... with technology so far unrevealed to us (!!), (3) so we now know NASA is dong stuff ...
ANOTHER-NOT-A-BIG-DEAL

Second thought. This can only be important if this "news" is linked to
SOMETHING ELSE

All these announcements of trivial space science. Why?
A BUILD UP FOR A YEAR OR SO

This very probably is a preparation of our minds to expect the
NEXT BRICK IN THE WALL

Which is very likely...an announcement/significant leak of
OTHERS' EXISTENCE

The real, next tip-off will be linked appearances in press, tv news, etc by representatives from
VATICAN, UN, FOREIGN GOVT AGENCIES, MILITARY,

Otherwise all this is just an ongoing, distracting, TEASE. Personally, I feel well prepared to expect the logical next step -
DISCLOSURE OF CONTACT, HERE

[edit on 24-8-2010 by havanaja]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I don't quite understand why it would be so exciting if they revealed that they have found earth like planets in nearby systems because we couldn't get there anyway! It's pretty safe to say that we won't be traveling outside of our solar system anytime soon, at least not in the lifetime of any of us or even our children. I have always assumed that there are probably Earth like planets all over our galaxy and probably every other galaxy in the universe, and I know I'm not the only one. Now, if they announced a new technology that would make space travel much faster and possible, then I'd be pretty damn excited.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I've got a weird feeling that we have some a$$h0les in our galatic neighbourhood, like people some would be good and others ...not so good lol

BUt seriously like i have guessed, Earth like planets may actully be VEERRRYY common, some solar systems might even have up to 4, some being "super earths" the size of jupiter with life...life i would NEVER EVER EVER want to meet face to face.

Think about it our planet was SUPPOSE to have dinosaurs, so thus on differnt planets there would be LARGE predators, VERY large, so the intellgent species on these planets may not be the most dominate, us humans got off lucky...and kinda over populated.

Lets face it we are a small puny mammel that has no idea what is out there, so we would most likely jump to conslucions and get oursevles killed because we are stupid and start wars for absoultly no reason...there is my 2 cents, dont be dumb and if you met an alien no matter how scary looking it is, dont piss it off lol

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

NIBIRU
Cant wait to see Phage and the rests comments, what a discovery, we are all doomed, grab the nearest blond

LOL They probably have those pictures classified so Phage and the others will continue to say it is a hoax.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

NASA is expected to make an announcement Thursday on the progress of its Kepler spacecraft, which has been staring at one patch of space for evidence of other worlds.

The space agency has scheduled an afternoon teleconference with reporters to announce the results from Kepler, which include the "discovery of an intriguing planetary system," NASA officials said Monday.

Participating in the teleconference will be senior NASA scientists and Kepler mission researchers, including principal investigator William Borucki, at the space agency's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

[www.space.com...]Link to Article[/url]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8dde8f662836.jpg[/atsimg]

Hmmmm, wonder what this could be?? I must admit I am excited about the possibilities. For those who do not know this is the mission of Kepler.

The Kepler space observatory hunts for Earth-like planets around other stars. In June, mission scientists announced it had found over 700 candidates, including five systems that appear to have more than one transiting planet.

Guess we will have to wait until the conference, but in the meantime LETS SPECULATE!!!

I will speculate that they will announce the most earthlike planet found yet, possibly with wast amounts of water, and maybe even in our galactic neighborhood!

-E-

[edit on 24-8-2010 by MysterE]

It will be that they found planets and that some are in the "goldilocks zone" of habitability. And their might be one possibility that they detected water on one of those planets.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i now believe they will reveal nothing, they will only tell us more lies and truth will be denied. we live on a prison planet freedom free will are a myth. i want to meet and greet aliens so bad i can taste it but this lot at nasa with there blurry pictures, missing pictures etc. they dont have the balls to disclose anything larger than a microbe. so good luck with speculating about what they are not going to disclose.............
prisoner gaurdian2012 has spoken...............

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragnet53

NIBIRU

LOL They probably have those pictures classified so Phage and the others will continue to say it is a hoax.

Yep, they must also monitor all astronomers both professional and amateur, seize all of their equipment and pictures, then somehow get them to not say a word about it.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
thought I saw some news out already- 5 neptune like planets. Must be just a teaser...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Alien Solar System Looks Strikingly Like Ours

Astronomers have discovered a group of at least five planets – with hints of two more – circling around a star in an arrangement similar to our own solar system. Confirmation of the extra planets would make this the highest tally of alien worlds ever spotted around a single star.

The planets and their own sun-like star are about 127 light-years from Earth, astronomers with the European Southern Observatory said. It is one of just 15 planetary systems known to have more than three worlds.

Hmmm... Someone let it slip before the announcement. Lol...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Could someone show me where NASA have stated that they are to reveal "Big News" on Thursday?

Because according to the NASA website, they are going to discuss the discovery of an "intriguing" planetary system

NASA To Announce Latest Findings by Kepler Mission Spacecraft MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- NASA will hold a media teleconference Thursday, Aug. 26, 2010, at 10 a.m. PDT to discuss the Kepler spacecraft’s latest discovery about an intriguing planetary system. Kepler, a space observatory, looks for the data signatures of planets by measuring tiny decreases in the brightness of stars when planets cross in front of, or transit them. In June, mission scientists announced the mission has identified more than 700 planet candidates, including five candidate systems that appear to have more than one transiting planet.

source

Maybe it's just me, but announcing that they are to discuss an intriguing find is not the same as "Revealing Big News"

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

NASA is expected to make an announcement Thursday on the progress of its Kepler spacecraft, which has been staring at one patch of space for evidence of other worlds.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by MysterE]

Staring into space is what the ancient Egyptians, Mayan, Celts, Sumerians and who knows what earlier civs have been doing for 15-40,000 + years. Nothing new here.

Of more importance is to realize we haven't had a major mathematics advance since Riemann's 1854 lecture in Goettingen, Germany (which led to Einstein's relativity, higher dimensions and now string theory).

And now our "science" is starting to show cracks and leak water., bcause like plane geometry, our math is yesterday's news.

Until we make progress in our math, we won't be able to conceptualize the physics and mechanics for producing speed-of-light travel, or further, bending space.... which I personally feel our "ET brothers" (Vatican wording from about 2007) use for their travel.

We are still primitive with little to show beyond H-bombs and laser light shows at rock concerts.

So I say to this coming "announcement"- don't waste my time unless there is something significant to reveal in the big picture.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What would be really funny is some NASA mook getting up in front of the mic and introducing the radio-astronomer that received an intelligent signal in the UV range on a radio telescope then Judy Faltsog walks out. Boy! There would be some red faces here on ATS including mine.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure NASA's big news is the same big news every time...

We discovered one or more planets that are kinda like Earth really far away-- tho we have no intention of going there, getting pictures, or really doing anything about it... Just letting you know they exist....

Exciting!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join