It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD doesnt exist

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No, the delusion is that ADHD requires pharmaceuticals to be treated in all circumstances. That's your bad for thinking everyone who agrees that ADHD exists believes this. It's just not so.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

That is the very point I was going to make Kosmic.

It takes a village to raise a child. But Amerian society now has it set up that parents have to work 80 hours a week and manage a family...by themselves.

Instead of families living together and raising all the children together, with many eyes and hands to help. Not to mention 12 dozen other children to keep each other busy, that now falls singly to one parent at a time.

I realized this when a friend from another nation told me, that American's force themselves into isolation, and make it extremely hard on themselves. She insisted on importing her sisters to help watch the kids, instead of sticking them into an institution.

Then we wonder why mental illness and depression is so high. We have removed the village, and are left with the repercussions.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ashyr

I love your post. Even though you kind of bought into the ADD thing, it shows how we are forced to concentrate on stuff we dont want to concentrate on.

In other words "If you dont concentrate on this, you will flunk". And that later becomes "If you dont concentrate on this, you have a mental disorder".

Schools never teach Concentration itself though. They only teach WHAT a kid "SHOULD" concentrate on.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I believe that OP had good intentions when he began this post, but without a full understanding on ADHD it seems it kind of turned around to bite him. ADHD isn't just a child that can't sit still through a teachers lecture, it is not a child that is overwhelmed by sugar, or someone that has unused energy, And I can say this with full confidence as I now exactly how it feels. I am 22-years old and though I have never been formally labeled as having ADHD I have had many people that I personally know that are in the medical field tell me that I have every classic symptom.

As a child, I couldn't pay attention to pretty much anything for a long period of time, everything would bore me extremely quickly, this was the same as a teenager and even now. I have never been on medication for it, and I am not sure how it would have affected me if I was. to this day, when i sit for a long time through something that I am not 100% interested in it becomes hard form me to be still for more than 10-15mins, I do annoying things to compensate, I make noises, I mess around with things that are in my reach, it gets a little tough but I have never been one to give up fighting through things and this is no different.

So in closing to the OP, When you are going to come to us and say this medical condition doesn't exist, it was fabricated so that we can medicate and maybe dumb down our children, I think a little more research needs to be done, before such an accusation should be brought forth.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Its just sad that a moderator uses words like 'crap' in association with something that families are struggling with, its been something in my home for almost 10 years now (give it a differenet name, I dont care what the name is....but it is a struggle for some children...and you laugh at it, call it crap?).

I dont care for the thread to be removed, I think your true colors shine nicely in it.

What is it with people not wanting to discuss things....they just want to say 'its crap' and if you dont agree with me your a sheep.

Maybe ATS (being this is a mods thread) is going to 'crap'.

ADD may not be all that its made out to be by some doctors...but there is defiantly something going on with todays children and their attention spans/ability to stay on task.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Grossac

...when 51% of kids are labeled as ADHD, would nt that make the other 49% out of the norm?

it's 3-5%

does that change your thinking at all?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by supergeek
how deeply it has hurt and offended me on a personal level.

If alternative views of reality "deeply hurt and offend" you thats certainly an emotional condition you have there, and its not ADHD.

And again: Im not saying suffering doesnt exist, Im saying that "ADHD" is the wrong label leading to the wrong "solutions", in at least 80% of the cases.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42
reply to post by LadySkadi

ADD and ADHD have virtually no reputable tests whatsoever to determine its existence. It only exists out of convenience for adults who don't want to do their jobs as parents, teachers, or authoritarians and apply the proper discipline so that their kids can learn to control their own minds.

Since you're so hellbent on proving the existence of ADHD, please show me the proper procedures for testing and diagnosis.

Oops. That's right. The only way that they can determine it is by creating a list of "symptoms" because, "THERE ARE NO OFFICIAL LABORATORY TESTS WHICH ADEQUATELY SAYS, YOUR CHILD HAS ADHD."

I could make up a list of symptoms right now that you probably have, create an illness in which these symptoms match, and then have you on drugs for the rest of your life because of MY OPINIONS of YOUR SYMPTOMS.

In fact, I'll create one right now.

1. subject is argumentative
2. subject always believes that they are correct
3. subject has a problem with moderation
4. subject shows unruly tendencies
5. subject cannot spell and doesn't know the difference between the words to and too even though they are in adulthood.
6. subject appears to be delusional and sees sickness and disorders everywhere (hypochondria)

Well now. We can throw the word "delusional" in there with the idea that you always think that you're correct. Add on the fact that you have a problem with moderation and authority...and what do we have?

1. paranoia
2. delusions
3. hatred of authority
4. hypochondria

Well, here's my diagnosis just from your posts.

You have acute symptoms of bi-polar disorder with elements of schizophrenia. This can be cured, or controlled with a bit of thorazine, Zoloft, and Prozac.

See how easy it is in the psychiatric industry? I could come up with disorder after disorder if I choose to.

Here's the real fact. Parents have become lazy and don't want to perform the responsibility that it takes to raise a child. Children have energy and they don't want to be confined to a classroom for hours when they would much rather be outside playing. Since most of today's children are offshoots of the pathetically lazy Baby Boomer Generation who smoked so much dope that their brains have slowed, their inability to keep up with anything has made them apathetic to their own duties as parents.

Quit punishing the kids for the weakness and the lack of responsibility that adults should be taking. Its getting out of hand. So, I TOTALLY agree with the moderator here, and think that maybe you should study up on the "disease" that has so many children on psychotropic drugs.

I have yet to see you post one FACT for your outlandish opinions. The only place that ADHD exists is in the confines of YOUR OWN MIND.

Here's some information that you obviously would not look up for yourself:web4health.info...
web4health.info...
www.helpguide.org...

What do all of these links, and any other link concerning ADD and ADHD have in common?

They all say that there are no LAB TESTS TO DETERMINE ADHD. In other words, it is a TOTALLY FABRICATED ILLNESS of which there are no tests, because the illness in of itself...DOES NOT EXIST.

So, what ends up happening is this. We allow some quack to look at our children, tell us what we want to hear because we are failures as adults and don't want to do our jobs, and then allow them to DRUG OUR CHILDREN up with some of the most powerful psychotropic drugs in the history of man so that we no longer have to do the necessary work that it takes to keep up with our children. Pathetic.

If it weren't for the stoic nature of my parents, they would have been convinced by some retarded child psychiatrist to have done the same thing to me. I was diagnosed with ADD at 5 years old. I am now 37. I was a straight A student that had tons of energy...in fact, I still do. But, this wasn't enough for the psychiatrist. He wanted the kickbacks for prescribing useless and dangerous medications that would have permanently altered my mind.

People like you worry me because you will agree with anything that you see in print, by people of "upstanding reputations," as long is it conforms with your predispositions. God help us all.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by PsychoX42]

Sigh!
It is not fabricated at all. I hate people like this who somehow think they know they are right, and everyone else is wrong. So far i have heard so much crap on this thread about why its not real. Even saying crap like bad parents, like they know my parents!? or me.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suiness
It's a farce, my child does not have any such disorder nor does he need to be branded as a 'special needs child'. The school has wanted me to put him on Ritalin from the get go, even going as far as to tell me children of ADHD go onto find their own substances when they grow up to slow down their brainwaves. I've always refused, this is something I do actually have control over. Now my son is 8, he still holds that SEN statement and is still classed as a child that has 'ADHD' and yet he is very bright, cleaver, has a great passion for music which I nurture at home. He isn't falling behind in school, he's actually doing quite well.

Thanks for sharing. Its so much better to hear from Real-Life-Mothers than from ranting pseudo-academics.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

What is it with people not wanting to discuss things....they just want to say 'its crap' and if you dont agree with me your a sheep.

for some, the use of mockery and antagonization seems to be an acceptable approach to both discussion and debate

it's a sure fire way to kick off a thread and get things going

although, it becomes tiresome and predictable after a while...

the upside is - maybe there will be many people reading this thread that will learn something useful

I'm sure that's what Skyfloating intended all along

isn't that right Sky?

or, maybe he actually believes what he's saying

:-)

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well, this is the sad part, and worrying. There are people on here who are enjoying saying adhd/add is a load of crap. Not really caring about the people on here who have the condition. To them, these people are lying or whatever.

You can always tell when someone is enjoying it, because they will really go overboard on saying its all a load of crap!

Yes, i believe that alot of children are being wrongly diagnosed, and that is wrong, but that does not mean the condition is a "load of rubbish"

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

And your educated opinion is based on what? Wikipedia? So are we using the term "irresponsible" and then falling into the same trap?

Until ADHD can be PROVEN in a Laboratory environment with the proper diagnostics, then, it is simply a matter of OPINION as to how children should be treated. And since it is NOT an EXACT science, we should NOT be medicating our children with permanently mind altering psychotropic drugs. That is what is IRRESPONSIBLE AND THAT IS WHAT IS DANGEROUS.

These are the minds and bodies of children who are not being asked as to whether their parents choose to pollute them or not.

Fact:
There are NO TESTS that determine whether a child has ADHD.
Fact:
Diagnosis is only dependent on a psychiatrist's observation of a child's behavior and whether or not it fits the norm. And the last that I checked, almost all children love to run and play, and not be stuck in a stuffy classroom with a teacher droning for hours.
Fact: psychotropic drugs have permanent and long-lasting effects even after one has completely withdrawn from them.
Fact: most psychotropic drugs have depression and suicidal thoughts as a side-effect.

Here's another fact: Doctors receive kickbacks for medications that they prescribe.
Fact: the medical community is some of the worst abusers of prescribed medications.

So, if you put all of these facts together, you might want to step back and decide as whether you want your child prescribed drugs by a person who profits from the amount of drugs that he/she prescribes. Then, you might want to consider that very real possibility that the person prescribing the drugs is ON DRUGS THEMSELVES and may not be exercising the best judgement. Then there's the idea that since this is not an exact science, that the person making the judgements that will affect a child for the rest of their lives, may be doing it for their OWN SELF-INTERESTS...not the child's. What if this person makes a BAD decision? Are you willing to risk your child's mind on this sort of "medical condition?" Obviously you are.

You'd better do your own research so that you don't trip yourself up on your own ego. And I pray that you haven't already had a child.

By the way...your use of diabetes as a tool of leverage in a debate about ADHD has absolutely no merit. Diabetes can be diagnosed with actual tests, and its levels can be measured and manipulated with the right medication. We have NO such tests for ADHD...period. Hypothetical arguments can only work in an ENTIRELY hypothetical scenario...and there is nothing hypothetical about diabetes.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

And again: Im not saying suffering doesnt exist, Im saying that "ADHD" is the wrong label leading to the wrong "solutions", in at least 80% of the cases.

no - you said ADHD doesn't exist

and - where are you getting this 80% figure?

off the top of your head?

:-)

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
When i was in grade 2 i was diagnosed with ADD, i never really knew why i just didnt want to sit around all day doing work i already knew the answers too, reviews after reviews and even more reviews...i memorized the answers the FIRST time, when other students (who did not have ADD or ADHD) needed these reviews because they couldn't remeber a simple lesson.

The education system is flawed, it is meant for a certain level of intellgence (IQ 80-100) they can help the mentally disabled even, but if someone has a higher level of intellgence, they can not accommodate for that student because he/she is outside the limit of what the teachers can teach so in many cases they will skip you a grade, because they really have no other solution and really have no idea to teach a student who is more intellgent than the teachers.

So they try to bend these intellgent kids into THIER way of thinking, imagen trying to make Albert Einstein think like a moron, or Nickola Tesla, we need strange intellgence, not everyone thinking alike in everyway manner or form, the term unique will not exist and we will have destoryed oursevles to reach "normal" whatever that is, "normal" "perfect" and "flawless" do not exist in this universe, inperfection is the reason that the universe was made, so why stand against the universial rule?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The officially ADHD Term does not exist and should not exist, they label it as a Decease, and thats totally utterly BS.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by unityemissions
I saw a study that linked adhd to preservatives and artificial colors/sweeteners. Once they were removed from the diet, the kids symptoms greatly diminished.

Ive also seen that some "ADHD" is sweetener and sugar related.

I have seen the symptoms 100% due to diet.

My almost 6 year old, has allways had a VERY healthy diet.

EVERY time, without fail, that someone gives him some crap food that I don't allow, he acts fisrt like the happy drunk at the bar, then when he comes down acts like the billigerant drunk at the bar.

There has not been ONE time that someone gave him icecream or juice or candy, that he hasn't turned from the sweetest angel I know, into the devil himself....

sometimes aren't as extreme as others, but, yeah..... I get quite perturbed when people give him crap food.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by mellisamouse]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah, and not only this, he claims that he's simply offering a different reality, and people who are upset with his nonsensical, cold-hearted claims must have serious emotional problems, and be pseudo-intellectuals.

Pure sociopathy.

You see this same thing with "spiritually enlightened" guru's who are complete con-artists and often end up completely destroying the communities that support them. No empathy. Don't give into his lies. He feeds off our negative energy.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join